Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: NPT Tap
richyo

posted on 6/6/06 at 01:15 PM Reply With Quote
NPT Tap

I managed to drop my inlet manifold and snapped the water inlet pipe (X-flow engine). I believe its 3/8 NPT thread but am unsure as to what type of tap to get. A quick look on the net made me even more confused.
Can anyone confirm that a 3/8 NPT tap is what is required ?

Cheers

Richyo

David Jenkins

posted on 6/6/06 at 01:24 PM Reply With Quote
It's probably 1/4" or even 1/8" NPT - it goes on the bore size, not the outside dia.

I had a similar problem ages ago - are you trying to get the old one out? They do tend to corrode and seal themselves in. I just kept drilling bigger and bigger holes until I reached the base diameter of the thread (the narrow bit!). I could then pick out the remaining bits with a sharp pointed hook.

I think I got a replacement fitting from Burton Power. Worth talking to them, as they know these engines back-to-front (and the normal way round, too)

David

[Edited on 6/6/06 by David Jenkins]

nitram38

posted on 6/6/06 at 01:48 PM Reply With Quote
A little tip for removing broken steel studs/pipes from aluminium.
Use a mig to build up a nice weld on the top of the stud, then weld a short bar to the weld at 90-45 degrees.
The heat from the weld and the bar angle should enable you to unscrew it.
Rock the bar back and forth a few times to free up the thread. If it breaks off, just weld again. It will come out.
Never use easi-outs. They always break and then they are un-drillable.
I have used the weld method for years and never failed to remove steel from aluminium.

[Edited on 6/6/2006 by nitram38]

viatron

posted on 6/6/06 at 02:48 PM Reply With Quote
Is it a standard manifold? ie GGAV carb? or twin sidedraughts?

Mac

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
David Jenkins

posted on 6/6/06 at 03:13 PM Reply With Quote
Another way of getting rid of the old steel connector is to soak the area in a solution of boric acid (although it's an acid, it's not dangerous - it's considered about as risky as table salt). It's available in chemists, especially the old-fashioned ones (it used to be a treatment for minor wounds and burns).

It rusts away the steel but leaves the aluminium untouched - also a good technique for getting broken taps out of brass or aluminium items. Bit of a slow process though...

David

richyo

posted on 6/6/06 at 03:22 PM Reply With Quote
Thanks for the replies guys
Its a standard inlet manifold for a DGV Weber
I'll try the drilling and picking first as I can't weld and don't have a welder

Richyo

David Jenkins

posted on 6/6/06 at 03:32 PM Reply With Quote
Just go up in small size increments, and take your time.

You could also try heating the manifold with a torch, to see if that helps to free it up - but not too hot, as aluminium melts without warning! Rub a bit of soap or washing-up liquid near where you're heating the piece - if the soap turns black, you've heated it up as far as you can safely.

Once the insert starts to move it'll come away easily, due to its tapered shape.

David

[Edited on 6/6/06 by David Jenkins]

Hellfire

posted on 6/6/06 at 05:44 PM Reply With Quote
If you have a problem getting hold of an NPT Tap... a 3/8" BSPTr taper is the same nominal size as an 3/8" NPT all the differences are in the thread nomeclature ie thread angle, effective diameter and top and bottom radii/flat. Nothing a bit of PTFE tape won't solve. Hope this helps...

Steve

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.