Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: nedd help identifying weird parts from the donor
robertst

posted on 22/6/06 at 09:03 AM Reply With Quote
nedd help identifying weird parts from the donor

while taking out the engine i wondered if i needed that computer looking ecu which is connected to every single bit of the engine. five cables go to the carb, another two go to the block, another two to the dizzy, etc etc...

engine control unit
engine control unit

another thing.... what is this??? it seems fuel goes in some way, goes out to the filter another way and a third pipe is there for what....fuel return? do i need it?

[img][/img]

Tom

RazMan

posted on 22/6/06 at 09:30 AM Reply With Quote
The top one looks like your ecu and the bottom one is part of the emmissions recycle thingy which I think you can bin.

Cheers,
Raz

When thinking outside the box doesn't work any more, it's time to build a new box

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
cryoman1965

posted on 22/6/06 at 09:39 AM Reply With Quote
The bottom is the fuel return. Keep it although you may not need it depends on your setup.

Top is ecu keep it and all the loom to the engine.

raccoonradar

posted on 22/6/06 at 09:42 AM Reply With Quote
yep 1st ECU binned & aftermarket used like mega squirt/spark
2nd swirl pot ? to stop fuel starvation not sure if needed I think some please have left it off

[Edited on 22/6/06 by raccoonradar]

robertst

posted on 22/6/06 at 09:47 AM Reply With Quote
oh right so the ecu can be replaced by a megaspark or megajolt for carb engines? didnt know that...

thought there was the possiblility of having the pinto running all by itself.. no electronic gizmos. of course it would have to be perfectly tuned.

Tom

raccoonradar

posted on 22/6/06 at 11:24 AM Reply With Quote
pinto ? sure its not cvh ?
Edit:I take it back looking at the info sticker its shows tappet adjustments must be very late pinto

[Edited on 22/6/06 by raccoonradar]

MikeRJ

posted on 22/6/06 at 11:46 AM Reply With Quote
Most likely one of the late carburettored Pinto's that had an ECU controlled carb e.g. stepper motor to control mixture and idle speed etc.

Idealy you need to keep the ECU and engine loom, or replace the carb with one of the earlier purely mechanical types.

jamesbond007ltk

posted on 22/6/06 at 11:47 AM Reply With Quote
Is your engine a 1600?

It would appear that your donor was fitted with the e-max system. The ECU was known for being overcomplicated (hence the many wires) due to its focus on economy (<------ DIRTY WORD!).

One option would be to get a Bosch electronic dizzy and iginition module from a standard pinto. Other would be an after market option like others say.

The second photo shows the fuel/air seperator which incorporates the fuel return system. This will not be needed if you run twin carbs but i would keep it in storage for now in case you have running problems.

Richard

tractorboy

posted on 22/6/06 at 12:54 PM Reply With Quote
in my experiance keep the ecu and wiring harness and plug as they are like rocking horse sh** when you try and find a sierra with one on. i am using this set up still with twin webers and it is working fine. i will get round to changing over after the summer . cheers scott . if in doubt keep it .
robertst

posted on 22/6/06 at 03:02 PM Reply With Quote
yep i thought it might be somewhat valuable as i would have never thought of a sierra with carbs and an ecu... gave the haynes manual a peep and it does seem to control everything the engine does...
the engine has a few bits and bobs that the haynes manual says its from a cvh...the previous owner probably wanted it to be a cvh but just couldnt afford an engine overhaul
the book said the second thing is a vapor separator and it improves hot starting qualities....i'll just keep it

thanks!

Tom

jollygreengiant

posted on 22/6/06 at 03:31 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by jamesbond007ltk
Is your engine a 1600?

It would appear that your donor was fitted with the e-max system. The ECU was known for being overcomplicated (hence the many wires) due to its focus on economy (<------ DIRTY WORD!).

Richard

E-MAX purely refers to what Ford did to the engine only. They all used a common 2.0 litre blocks, cranks and heads, the variation in engine capacity was acheived by changing the bore size to give 1.6, 1.8 or 2.0 litre capacities.

Beware of the Goldfish in the tulip mines. The ONLY defence against them is smoking peanut butter sandwiches.

MkIndy7

posted on 22/6/06 at 05:03 PM Reply With Quote
If you've room for the ECU then there's no reason not to keep it. To replace it you'd need a new dizzy and carb etc to run any other setup. We had it running on ours as Ford intended and it run very well and reliabley as it had auto choke etc.

The Fuel Vapour seperator (regulator maybe) is well worth saveing as well, we've never run without it but i've heard of people putting them back on and getting an extra 10mpg out of the car. Maybe the float chamber in the carb isin't capable of shutting off the folow of fuel so it bypasses back to the tank through the valve or of you haven't got one just throws it down the cylinders!

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.