Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: what donor?
davehewitsonuk

posted on 27/4/03 at 03:56 PM Reply With Quote
what donor?

hi,

i am trying to decide what donor car to use for my Locost. I want something that either has quite a bit of power as standard, or is quite tuneable. I would like it to produce somewhere around 160 bhp or more!!! I dont want to spend ££££££s, so does anyone have any ideas?

i was thinking of a rover 1.8 k series VVC.

thanks

Dave

chrisg

posted on 27/4/03 at 07:04 PM Reply With Quote
Hey Up Dave,

Quite a few people seem to mention the Rover, but you don't see many, it has been mentioned that they can suffer from head gasket problems.

Apart from the pinto and the crossflow, there aren't any cheap engines, zetecs and toyota 4AGE's are powerful but require expensive add ons to work in a Locost, carbs or throttle bodies for example.

Maybe a rover V8?

Everyone has a different answer, thats what makes it so interesting!

Cheers

Chris

Note to all: I really don't know when to leave well alone. I tried to get clever with the mods, then when they gave me a lifeline to see the error of my ways, I tried to incite more trouble via u2u. So now I'm banned, never to return again. They should have done it years ago!

steve faunch

posted on 28/4/03 at 10:13 PM Reply With Quote
Sierra running gear & bike power is the only way to go. No need for tuning
type 907

posted on 28/4/03 at 11:30 PM Reply With Quote
Hi
I'v gone for Lotus (Lots Of Trouble,Usually Serious) 160 brake
and street cred as well.

ned

posted on 29/4/03 at 09:01 AM Reply With Quote
Well, I know I've mentioned the vauxhall lump in several of these samey posts (when will people learn to search!)

but just for the record I'm going to take one out of a nova on saturday for the nice sum of £150.

BTW it was transplanted into the nova which is being broken due to rust!
the engine is normally in early astras, cavaliers and calibra's. watch out for ecotecs, these produce only 136bhp and aren't as tunatble if that's your thing...

I've also been offered a fully rebuilt one for £600 and another road engine for £375 if anyone's interested I can forward the details...

Andrew.

beware, I've got yellow skin

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.