Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Reply
Author: Subject: Robin Hood Debate
rpsmith

posted on 27/6/06 at 10:19 AM Reply With Quote
Robin Hood Debate

I really want to build a kit car and had previously settled on building an MK, but due to recent financial issues (moving house, new kitchen etc) i may have to put my plans on hold for a few months.

But i was looking at the Robin Hood Lightweight and 2B, mainly due to thier very low price.

I know these cars aren't the greatest but i was initially going to build a book Locost.

So my question is, are Robin Hoods really as bad as people make out, i would like to hear from people who have actually owned or built them if possible

Richard

[Edited on 27/6/06 by rpsmith]

Gav

posted on 27/6/06 at 10:26 AM Reply With Quote
Your were going to build a locost but were worried by the quality of a RH?
Of what ive seen of the 2B's its the builder who makes the car good or makes a bodge of it, their are certainly plenty of them and decent looking ones at that.
Canrt comment on what its like to build one though.

Perhaps it might be an idea to look on the RH community forums and ask what its like to put one together.
http://nw.rhocar.org/ is the northwest owners club site

James

posted on 27/6/06 at 10:43 AM Reply With Quote
If you were careful you could build an MK for not a great deal of money.

I reckon if you stuck to a single donor (ie. 2.0 Pinto Sierra, add a 32/36 carb and ignition from a 1.6carb Sierra), your own exhaust, own internal panels, you could do the whole lot for £2500-3000.

It's the flashy bolt-ons that cost the money. Things I have bought that *could* have been done for a fraction of the cost are seats, flashy shocks, expensive gauges, filler cap, etc. etc. There's well over a £1000 spent just there!

So it can all be done cheaper with work and the help of e-bay!

And at the end of it you'll have a good looking MK.

HTH,
James

[Edited on 27/6/06 by James]

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"The fight is won or lost far away from witnesses, behind the lines, in the gym and out there on the road, long before I dance under those lights." - Muhammad Ali

donut

posted on 27/6/06 at 11:33 AM Reply With Quote
My MK cost me about £4,500 but that includes new wheels, tyres, rebuilt engine, new wiring loom, new clocks and some other bits that you could get cheaper elsewhere. James is righ, with carefull consideration you could build for about £3,000

[Edited on 27/6/06 by donut]

Andy

When I die, I want to go peacefully like my Grandfather did, in his sleep -- not screaming, like the passengers in his car.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/andywest1/

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
Bryan Sears

posted on 27/6/06 at 01:43 PM Reply With Quote
I don’t know why you are asking this question as you live in Yorkshire it has to be an MNR. Go and see Marc and Chris in Harrogate and you won’t want a robin bodge.
I looked at both RH and MK and a few others as well so I think you should take your time before deciding anyway.

rpsmith

posted on 27/6/06 at 02:15 PM Reply With Quote
What would be the typical build cost for an MNR?
David Jenkins

posted on 27/6/06 at 02:57 PM Reply With Quote
One good thing about Robin Hoods - they've got one of the biggest and best owners' clubs! Always a huge crowd at shows.

I have seen some exceptionally good RH cars, but also quite a few dodgy ones. The quality of the end result is heavily dependant on the skills and ingenuity of the builder, I reckon.

I won't condemn them though, as everyone's car is their own pride and joy and (hopefully) gives them pleasure.

David

nick205

posted on 27/6/06 at 03:00 PM Reply With Quote
If you're on a tight budget (as I am) then time, ingenuity and contacts are your biggest friends. If you seta reasonable time frame the cost is spread out more, using and making parts that will serve a purpose rather than blinging it up will save you a lot of money and getting to know local people who can help you is a winner too.

I have met and befriended a number of people and companies who when told what you are doing are surprisingly interested and willing to help. For example I have had several bits of welding done by a local firm in return for biscuits for their tea breaks

I wouldn't recomend a particular kit manufacturer as it would be hard for me to be impartial owning an MK and being very happy with it and MK Sportscars.

Whatever you decide, just go for it and enjoy it.

HTH
Nick

richardR1

posted on 27/6/06 at 05:01 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Bryan Sears
I don’t know why you are asking this question as you live in Yorkshire it has to be an MNR. Go and see Marc and Chris in Harrogate and you won’t want a robin bodge.
I looked at both RH and MK and a few others as well so I think you should take your time before deciding anyway.

But being in Sheffield makes MK an awful lot closer, just up the road in fact. I have a friend who has built a 2B and made a pretty good job of it but as he would readily tell you, after watching me build my MK there is really no comparison. This might be of interest Ebay Indy project

MK Owners Club Member 1015

bob

posted on 27/6/06 at 05:25 PM Reply With Quote
Like most have said its down to the builder, plenty of hoods about some not as nice as others but then again there are some book locosts that can hurt the eyes just looking.

I see one hood has entered the rally in Sardinia with the guild of motor endurance this year,it will be interesting to see how it gets on.

http://www.locostbuilders.co.uk/viewthread.php?tid=45809

jambo

posted on 27/6/06 at 07:23 PM Reply With Quote
I own a Robin Hood 2Bplus. I built the car over a period of 12mths (best guess 1000hrs). Its now been on the road for 7mths and its great!!!
The lightweight chassis has not been SVA'd on the road by any independent builders as yet although a couple are only weeks away. people have had reservations on whether or not the alluminium stress points are up the job with vigourous driving so this will only be answered when the cars have had road time.
The 2B chassis with wishbones front like mine is certainly a very robust chassis in a kit car, probably too robust. The cars I would say are not difficult to build they just more akward especially the fitting of the supplied panels. Like all the cars you have to plan and design your own methods of holding everything to the car, this is where most of the time is consumed.
The weakest point on the 2B is the use of the sierra back end, the unit is heavy, mounting points don't have a lot of ground clearance and the gap between the top of the tyre and the arch is hard to get less than 3inches.
Most 2Bs will end up being around 800-850kg in weight which is slighty heavier than other 7 types.
As others have said the cars are what you spend on the them, mine cost about £5k.
Remember if your MK or MNR is getting built for £3k it won't look like the ones you are fancying to build.
IMHO the budget for a nice MK or MNR will be approx £2k more than a decent Robin Hood 2Bplus (kit price £3k plus VAT)
Cheers
Turbo(RHOCAR Member) Rescued attachment FIRST SHOW 001.JPE
Rescued attachment FIRST SHOW 001.JPE

andybod

posted on 27/6/06 at 08:50 PM Reply With Quote
i considered a robin hood a couple of times before i brought my luego i liked the idea of a budget build and how complete the kit is but literally changed my mind at the lat minute and went for the luego i decided the quality was better and found grant and his team were more helpfull and answered my questions now both manufactures have changed hands, robin hood have changed there chassis and prices but i,m glad i changed my mind and brought the luego yep costing me more to build just over 7k so far but i have over spent on things i could have saved money on will still reccomend them to any one dean and his team have been friendly and helpfull to me so worth a look
David Jenkins

posted on 27/6/06 at 09:38 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by jambo

Most 2Bs will end up being around 800-850kg in weight which is slighty heavier than other 7 types.

"Slightly heavier" is not the way I'd put it... my Locost was never built with weight-saving in mind, with a steel floor and tunnel sides, and other porky design features. Its all-up weight is 600kg. Many of the BEC builders who really tried to save weight have got down to 450kg.

However, I still maintain that if it gives you fun then I will not criticise. It's still far lighter than most tin-tops!

rgds,
David

mitch2b

posted on 27/6/06 at 09:59 PM Reply With Quote
have to agree with Jambo, All his comments are fair, I too built a 2b it cost Just under 5k to build and put on the road for its first year, Its in its 4th year on the road and i enjoyed the build (most of the time) and still get a buzz every time i drive it,
Theres a Yorkie meet in Kieghley (spelling) at the Airdale Hefier I think its second tuesday of the month at around 8pm, call in and have a chat with the owners/builders and a look at the build quality.
also have a look on here
http://community.rhocar.org/index.php?http://community.rhocar.org./
Main website for owners club

Mitch

Pezza

posted on 28/6/06 at 12:14 AM Reply With Quote
Picking up part built builds can save you alot of moey too.
So far i've spent £1124 on my mk indy I got off ebay.
That was a basic starter kit, but now I have brakes, lsd, driveshafts converted, paddleshift, engine cradle, basicly all the running gear bar the engine.
Sold on the engine and gearbox that came with it to get back some cash.
I reckon i've saved well over a grand so far buying it part built and sourcing ebay bargains.
Looking at 4k build cost I think.

Pez

You couldn't pwn your way out of a wet paper bag, with "PWN ME!!" written on it, from the "pwned take-away" which originally contained one portion of chicken tikka pwnsala and the obligatory free pwnpadom.

New Topic New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.