Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: getting tracks off a cd
JoelP

posted on 29/6/06 at 09:14 PM Reply With Quote
getting tracks off a cd

im trying to get songs off a cd and onto the ipod. Computer says no! Do i need software to sort this one? I cant see an easy way round the copyright stuff, which is annoying cos the bloody cds mine! any help anyone?
k33ts

posted on 29/6/06 at 09:16 PM Reply With Quote
u need itunes that will do it for you

tukcustoms.com

viatron

posted on 29/6/06 at 09:17 PM Reply With Quote
Doesnt the IPOD come with ripping software? if not try :
http://www.mp3-converter.com/encoders/mp3_encoder_downloads.htm

If however your Cd is copyright protected it makes it a whole lot more difficult
Mac

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
joneh

posted on 29/6/06 at 09:30 PM Reply With Quote
Theres a shed load of mp3 rippers available off download.com. Not sure if the result will work on an Ipod though.

peterriley2

posted on 29/6/06 at 09:32 PM Reply With Quote
yeah it should come with all the software- id check the package you got it in for any cd's lurking in the bottom!

Joel

If you dont respect yourself, dont expect respect from anyone else
Live your dreams, dont dream your life
Women only want you for one thing- everything!

chockymonster

posted on 29/6/06 at 09:40 PM Reply With Quote
Which CD is it?
If it's DRM enabled then it *may* not work with i-tunes but I may have a removal tool that will work with it

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
UncleFista

posted on 29/6/06 at 09:55 PM Reply With Quote
Probably quicker and easier to download 'em if the CD is copyright protected.

Tony Bond / UncleFista

Love is like a snowmobile, speeding across the frozen tundra.
Which suddenly flips, pinning you underneath.
At night the ice-weasels come...

JoelP

posted on 29/6/06 at 09:58 PM Reply With Quote
its mary j blige, once someone mentioned the word ripping i managed to find the correct option in the menus, so thanks all for your help, the missus is now merrily bopping to 'one' upstairs and i have peace and quiet downstairs!
Avoneer

posted on 30/6/06 at 12:07 AM Reply With Quote
Quick, get it the garage before she notices...

Pat...

No trees were killed in the sending of this message.
However a large number of electrons were terribly inconvenienced.

Hellfire

posted on 30/6/06 at 06:33 AM Reply With Quote
Am I right in assuming that you can't just put any old MP3 onto an ipod? Does it have to be copyrighted, or not... I have about 200Gb of MP3's of all descriptions (possibly 500 CD's worth) and considering getting one of these things... is it a problem?

I have a 1Gb Fuji MP3 player which is great, but 1Gb is rather small for all my faves... I'm considering the 20Gb model as that should be enough for what I want for now...

Humbug

posted on 30/6/06 at 07:34 AM Reply With Quote
No doubt there will be the pro and anti-iPod viewpoints, but speaking for myself, I chose the 20GB Archos XS202s against an iPod on the basis of:

price - £129.99

looks - cool black metal case (I think white looks cheap and naff - personal view only!)

size - phyically smaller than an iPod

battery life - claimed 17 hours, and I've never had a problem

no proprietary formats - it will take regular MP3s, i.e. you don't have to covent it into Apple format.

It doesn't have video or a radio, but I wanted it to play music, so that's OK.

You'll have to get replacement earphones, but almost all MP3 players have crap earphones as standard, so I've read.

I have had it for a few months now and been really pleased. Loads of stuff on there and still lots of free space.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/exec/obidos/ASIN/B000CFBU4I/qid=1151652370/sr=8-1/ref=sr_8_xs_ap_i1_xgl/202-4764238-0307847

My kids have both got Creative Zen 20GB (not the similar-looking Creative Zen Micro which is 6 or 8GB), which look a bit more trendy and have a radio. but are slightly bigger and a bit plasticky (and we had to send one back for replacement because the earphon socket went). Still OK sound, capacity, battery life, though. £144.99

http://www.amazon.co.uk/exec/obidos/ASIN/B000BLEW9I/sr=1-2/qid=1151652742/ref=pd_bowtega_2/202-4764238-0307847?%5Fencoding=UTF8&s=electronics& v=glance

[Edited on 30.06.2006 by Humbug]

JoelP

posted on 30/6/06 at 07:38 AM Reply With Quote
mine an ipod nano and overall, its pretty good. Damned small! Annoying that it needs charging via usb though, i might have to invest in a proper charger.

To date i havent found a song that it wouldnt take, but i did have to upgrade to usb2.

chockymonster

posted on 30/6/06 at 07:55 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Hellfire
Am I right in assuming that you can't just put any old MP3 onto an ipod? Does it have to be copyrighted, or not... I have about 200Gb of MP3's of all descriptions (possibly 500 CD's worth) and considering getting one of these things... is it a problem?

You can put any old MP3 on an ipod. I don't use i-tunes anymore as it's such a pain in the neck!

Check out anapod, not expensive and massive feature list!

02GF74

posted on 30/6/06 at 09:48 AM Reply With Quote
My recent acquisition is a Q-be; 1 GB but about the size of an OXO cube.

Dead easy to transfer mp3 or wma (Windows player files), it attaches via USB. You need some ripping software to generate the mp3/wma files first but after that it is a matter of copying files from HardDisk to Q-be.

coozer

posted on 30/6/06 at 06:33 PM Reply With Quote
I use Easy CD-DA Extractor and it rips a cd in 2~3 minutes.

I've got a copy if you want it....

1972 V8 Jago

1980 Z750

Angel Acevedo

posted on 21/7/11 at 09:04 PM Reply With Quote
Sorry to bring back an oooooold one....
I got myself an IPod Touch and would like to import music from my CD collection.
At any given point in time I may want to have it available on MP3 too.
Anyone can give some light?
Thanks.
AA

Beware of what you wish.. for it may come true....

geoff shep

posted on 22/7/11 at 07:51 AM Reply With Quote
Windows Media Player will rip your music, but set it to rip into mp3 format at high quality, then import to itunes (which is a freed download). Or itunes can do it all - you can rip to Apple aac format or mp3, so again choose mp3. It will collect all the album art too and put that on your ipod as well.

Angel Acevedo

posted on 22/7/11 at 01:11 PM Reply With Quote
Thanks Geoff Shep.
Tonight is Friday and I don´t have anything better to do, so tonight I start "Farewell to CD age...."
AA

Beware of what you wish.. for it may come true....

MikeRJ

posted on 22/7/11 at 02:24 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Humbug
No doubt there will be the pro and anti-iPod viewpoints, but speaking for myself, I chose the 20GB Archos XS202s against an iPod on the basis of:

price - £129.99

looks - cool black metal case (I think white looks cheap and naff - personal view only!)

size - phyically smaller than an iPod

battery life - claimed 17 hours, and I've never had a problem

no proprietary formats - it will take regular MP3s, i.e. you don't have to covent it into Apple format.

I'm not a huge supporter of Apple products in general, I think they are generally overpriced and lacking in features compared to the competition and they have some pretty dire application software (iTunes is horrible). That said, they get the user interface spot on every time and the iPod is pretty much a de facto standard now. If you buy a docking station or a new head unit for your car, chances are it will have an iPod connector.

iPods will play standard MP3 files with no problem, no conversion to any proprietary Apple format is needed.

Archos make some neat devices, but they have a terrible history of releasing buggy, half finished software on their devices and then dropping support in favour of a newer model leaving owners of the older model high and dry. They've done this on so many of their media players that it's not funny.

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.