Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: BECs and computerised MOT
Ferrino

posted on 2/7/06 at 09:15 AM Reply With Quote
BECs and computerised MOT

About to get the BEC-conversion MOT'd (it was SVA'd with car engine) and I was wondering how straightforward it is for the MOT station to punch in the bike engine details with this new system? My garage mentioned it might be tricky (ie. car with bike engine)?
Hellfire

posted on 2/7/06 at 09:21 AM Reply With Quote
The MOT tester will take the age of the vehicle from the registration plate and also assume that this is the date on which it was first used.

A - If your car has an AGE-RELATED plate he’ll assume that the engine is the same age as the plate and do the test accordingly. However, if your age-related plate refers to pre-Aug 1998 (‘S’ Prefix) you will continue to get the visible smoke test for the life of the vehicle REGARDLESS of the age of the engine. Remember though that this does NOT include PERSONALISED plates as in this case the vehicle will continue to be tested according to its age and NOT the vehicle registration number.

B - If your vehicle has a CURRENT/NEW plate or one that is after 1st August 1998, you will get a ‘basic’ emissions test, which is a basic check conducted to set limits carried out BEFORE the ‘CAT’ test. If you pass, GREAT. If you fail though you’ll be subject to a full ‘by-the-book’ CAT test, plus remember that if you fail this you’ll also fail the MOT. Of course there are plenty of CURRENT/NEW registered kits running around with reconditioned engines so in this instance you will have to prove the age of the engine to the MOT tester. Ideally you should have a copy of your SVA MAC ‘pass’ certificate, which will be sufficient. Otherwise you will have to get a letter from the engines manufacturer stating clearly what year the engine was made.

C - Cars with a ‘Q’ plate are regarded as being of uncertain age so therefore will continue to be subject to the visible smoke test.

Hope that helps

Phil

ch1ll1

posted on 2/7/06 at 09:21 AM Reply With Quote
all they put in is the cars reg , and the last 6 digits of the chassis

so if its registered (engine on v5) there shouldnt be a problem!
that is if its on the system already

if not then i carnt see it being to much of a problem
also like hellfire says, age related as it will be registered as a kitcar ( or should be)

[Edited on 2/7/06 by ch1ll1]

Ferrino

posted on 2/7/06 at 09:45 AM Reply With Quote
Thanks - it is on a Q plate - so visible smoke test only. The V5 is still registered with the old car engine (1600cc) - my plan was to change this over to the new engine (1000cc) when I get my first tax disc (ie. after MOT).

Are you saying that I should get the V5 changed to match the current engine BEFORE I go for the MOT (even if I will only get visible smoke test regardless of engine)?

ch1ll1

posted on 2/7/06 at 10:03 AM Reply With Quote
there could be ( or should be) TROUBLE

depends on the mot man

and like they say its illegal the boys in blue would love it
also you would get cheaper tax as well !

[Edited on 2/7/06 by ch1ll1]

Hellfire

posted on 2/7/06 at 10:24 AM Reply With Quote
Yep. Send the V5 to DVLA for amending before the MOT.

Phil

Ferrino

posted on 2/7/06 at 10:25 AM Reply With Quote
When I went to the DVLA office to ask what proof I would need in order to change the registered engine to one of a lower capacity (and lower tax bracket), they said I would not need any and that I should just come along with my V5 and my MOT and insurance, they would then issue me with cheaper tax and do the registration change at the same time. This implied that I would not need to change it before my MOT.

I will have another word with the MOT station and see what they say.....

wilkingj

posted on 2/7/06 at 11:26 AM Reply With Quote
I thought they changed the rules last Budget, where if you put in a smaller engine, you will need it inspected (possibly by the MoT man) to qualify for the lower Tax, ie to prevent people just changing the cc's to get cheaper tax.
Definately nothing needed to put in a bigger engine. ie dearer tax.

Dont quote me, as I am not 100% sure, but did see something along those lines at Budget time, as I was registering / SVA'ing my Viento at the time.

1. The point of a journey is not to arrive.
2. Never take life seriously. Nobody gets out alive anyway.

Best Regards
Geoff
http://www.v8viento.co.uk

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
JoelP

posted on 2/7/06 at 03:21 PM Reply With Quote
i recently sent my v5 off telling them of a change to 899cc, they sent it back and asked for proof, either from the manufacturer or equvilent. So i have to make some headed paper now... muppets! Im not even bothered about cheaper tax, i just want my insurance to be valid!
Hellfire

posted on 2/7/06 at 03:22 PM Reply With Quote
Only for cars with registration plates after 1st August 1998, as I understand it.

Ferrino

posted on 3/7/06 at 09:31 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by JoelP
i recently sent my v5 off telling them of a change to 899cc, they sent it back and asked for proof, either from the manufacturer or equvilent.

Damn - the lady at the local DVLA said this wouldn't be necessary despite me explaining that I would move down a price bracket. I wonder if I could just send a couple of photos of the engine in situ, when I return the V5? I'm sure someone said they did this?

Ferrino

posted on 3/7/06 at 01:17 PM Reply With Quote
OK found some info on what is aceptable proof HERE.
Seems a receipt for the engine will suffice

stevebubs

posted on 4/7/06 at 01:56 AM Reply With Quote
I'd get it MOTed and then send the MOT certificate off as proof - the MOT tester should enter the engine number and capacity onto the certificate.
Ferrino

posted on 12/7/06 at 10:04 AM Reply With Quote
Sorry to harp on about this, but I sent a letter off to the DVLA last week, with the engine change details and written proof and photos etc... I thought it might take a week to get my amended V5 back (which I need to get an MOT) but I've just phoned DVLA to get an update and they said it may take 4-6 weeks!!!!!!! She suggested finding an MOT station that would do the test without presenting the V5 - is this possible?

EDIT: good news, my garage said they don't actually need the V5 - they just want to read off the VIN, engine number etc..... so i can put it all on a piece of paper

[Edited on 12/7/06 by Ferrino]

Coose

posted on 12/7/06 at 10:12 AM Reply With Quote
Yes. My local testing station didn't ask for one. But it's oop near York which probably isn't much use for you Tony, though it'd make a good shakedown run!

Any I'll buy the chocolate hob-nobs!

Spin 'er off Well...

Ferrino

posted on 12/7/06 at 10:25 AM Reply With Quote
cheers coosey - think i'm sorted now
tks

posted on 12/7/06 at 03:39 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by JoelP
i recently sent my v5 off telling them of a change to 899cc, they sent it back and asked for proof, either from the manufacturer or equvilent. So i have to make some headed paper now... muppets! Im not even bothered about cheaper tax, i just want my insurance to be valid!

Sow in fact you are saying that its pretty normal to make false papers up?

Maybe i need your skills then

Tks

The above comments are always meant to be from the above persons perspective.

Ferrino

posted on 14/7/06 at 12:45 PM Reply With Quote
wahey - passed MOT this morning - feck me she sounds sweet as a nut! my problem now is how to get the car taxed without my V5 (which is at DVLA for engine change to be registered). Will pop to local DVLA office this afternoon for advice....
gingerprince

posted on 14/7/06 at 12:51 PM Reply With Quote
Can you confirm then that when your Q plate car was put on the electronic MOT it automatically gave you visual smoke only test? And was that regardless of any "notes" section on your V5 saying what your SVA limits were? I know they didn't have your V5 but the question is does the computer use these limits in the "notes" section for the emissions?
Coose

posted on 14/7/06 at 01:11 PM Reply With Quote
Congratulations Ferrino!

Spin 'er off Well...

Ferrino

posted on 14/7/06 at 01:45 PM Reply With Quote
Cheers Coose

Ginga - my car was built pre-SVA so there are no emissions numbers on the V5.

After punching in the VIN and registration number (Q-plate) it just came up with NON-CAT test or something to that effect.

chockymonster

posted on 14/7/06 at 03:58 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Ferrino
wahey - passed MOT this morning - feck me she sounds sweet as a nut! my problem now is how to get the car taxed without my V5 (which is at DVLA for engine change to be registered). Will pop to local DVLA office this afternoon for advice....

Do it online?

PLEASE NOTE - Responses on Forum Threads may contain Sarcasm and may not be suitable for the hard of Thinking.

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
gingerprince

posted on 27/11/06 at 03:15 PM Reply With Quote
Confirmation for anyone searching this thread in future

Guys, just a confirmation update in case anyone's searching for this in future.

Got my Q-Plate Indyblade MOT'd last week. Even though on my V5 there were notes in the "Special Notes" section on the front saying what the SVA emissions were, the computer correctly expected a visual-smoke only test. So it looks like things (rightly) haven't changed for us Q guys!

And relax

iiyama

posted on 27/11/06 at 04:20 PM Reply With Quote
Would it be best for me to Q register?

Hayabusa, no Pair valves dont really want to use a cat either......Only small usage of donor, ie diff, half shafts and steering column. Diff and half shafts fully refurbished. Chassis, front and rear suspension, prop shaft will be new.

Could probably register it as new, but dont want grief with emmisions!

If its broke, fix it. If it aint broke, take it apart and find out how it works!

ChrisGamlin

posted on 27/11/06 at 06:27 PM Reply With Quote
You'll still need a cat for SVA regardless of what you register it as though

<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.