Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Why Pinto Power ????
pajsh

posted on 2/7/06 at 02:59 PM Reply With Quote
Why Pinto Power ????

OK so I've passed SVA and hopefully in a few weeks I'll have my age related plate for the 1.6 sierra doner.

So onto phase 2 which is the 205 block 2.0l I stored away which I planned to rebuild and upgrade.

However, as I cannot do any of the machining work myself I've costed it up and reckon on around £1,500 to do a half decent job.

That is around £750 for a new cam, larger valves, unleaded mods and porting and £750 for bore out to 2.1, lighten & balance the flywheel and generally refurb the bottom end.

It seems I may only see 150 bhp so the question is why?

For similar money I could probably pick up a zetec or similar and get more power, more up to date engineering and less weight.

The only downside I can see is modifying it to fit the Type 9 box.

Or am I missing something????

I used to be apathetic but now I just don't care.

UncleFista

posted on 2/7/06 at 03:05 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by pajsh
<snip>

You seem to be missing the fact that the Zetec bolts straight up to a Type9, it's the Duratec that doesn't

Tony Bond / UncleFista

Love is like a snowmobile, speeding across the frozen tundra.
Which suddenly flips, pinning you underneath.
At night the ice-weasels come...

JoelP

posted on 2/7/06 at 03:15 PM Reply With Quote
i guess you would have to be a fan of the old pinto engine. Based on your figures, the zetec seems a much better choice, and a lot cheaper even allowing for stuff like new flywheels and starters etc.
scottc

posted on 2/7/06 at 03:19 PM Reply With Quote
I think the zetec would be a better choice.

Don't forget the exhaust is on the other side (compared with the Pinto)

ruskino80

posted on 2/7/06 at 03:20 PM Reply With Quote
i rebiult a pinto on my first build wished i never bothered noisy old heavy lumps and low on power.
BKLOCO

posted on 2/7/06 at 03:26 PM Reply With Quote
The other major point to remember is that you will have to source an electronic ignition system for the Zetec at the very least.
There is no provision for a dstributor.
You would also need to go fuel Inj to release the sort of power figures you are talking (150 BHP)
This will definately involve you in at least £300 for a basic single throttle body and plenum setup with megasquirt. Up to £1000+ for an off the shelf package.
Not trying to put you off but you should consider all the options/facts before deciding.

Experience is what you get when you don't get what you want!!!

Hellfire

posted on 2/7/06 at 03:51 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by pajsh
OK so I've passed SVA and hopefully in a few weeks I'll have my age related plate for the 1.6 sierra doner.

So onto phase 2 which is the 205 block 2.0l I stored away which I planned to rebuild and upgrade.

However, as I cannot do any of the machining work myself I've costed it up and reckon on around £1,500 to do a half decent job.

That is around £750 for a new cam, larger valves, unleaded mods and porting and £750 for bore out to 2.1, lighten & balance the flywheel and generally refurb the bottom end.

It seems I may only see 150 bhp so the question is why?

For similar money I could probably pick up a zetec or similar and get more power, more up to date engineering and less weight.

Bike Engine power - That's what you're missing. More power, cutting edge technology and considerably less weight. Even has it's own gearbox incorporated into the engine.

Phil

indykid

posted on 2/7/06 at 04:11 PM Reply With Quote
get a BDA!

crackle, pop, bbbbbwwwwwaaaaaaaaaaa!

tom

zetec7

posted on 2/7/06 at 05:32 PM Reply With Quote
I say go with the Zetec...easy 170 bhp on Webers/bike carbs, ignition is simple through John Ehrlich (altechprec@yahoo.com) with three wire connection with no mapping, etc. Zetec is light, with WAY more torque than any bike motor...remember, it's torque that gets you moving. And if you ever want to upgrade, Ford made a stock version that made 275 bhp!
View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
jollygreengiant

posted on 2/7/06 at 05:32 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by indykid
get a BDA!

crackle, pop, bbbbbwwwwwaaaaaaaaaaa!

tom

Nahhh BDG
Krackle, POp, bbbBBBBBBWWWWWWAAAAaaaaaaaaaah

Beware of the Goldfish in the tulip mines. The ONLY defence against them is smoking peanut butter sandwiches.

mat.price

posted on 2/7/06 at 05:45 PM Reply With Quote
if your going to bore the engine and rebuild it from the bottom upwards why not use cosworth parts? after all the 205 block is the some as sierra cosworth 2wd
Toady1

posted on 2/7/06 at 05:48 PM Reply With Quote
id go zetec, or at least thats pob wat I will be doin!
RichardK

posted on 2/7/06 at 06:19 PM Reply With Quote
Think your fuel tank might need a return line putting in as well.
View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
DaveFJ

posted on 2/7/06 at 06:32 PM Reply With Quote
I think your estimated machinig costs are way over the top. I was offered a rebore to 2.1 and skim the block for £80......

Also I know of 2.0l inj engines with nothing more than a cam change and twin 45 delortos which are producing around 150Bhp at the flywheel.

Don't discount the Pinto so easily...

Dave

"In Support of Help the Heroes" - Always

roadboy

posted on 2/7/06 at 06:45 PM Reply With Quote
No choice go Zetec, why use ancient technology get easy clean power.
Cheers
Ian

Jude Performance Services

Hellfire

posted on 2/7/06 at 07:04 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by zetec7
...... Zetec is light, with WAY more torque than any bike motor...remember, it's torque that gets you moving.

Not that old torque chestnut again!! What some BEC's lack in torque, they more than make up for in RPM.

Phil

MikeRJ

posted on 2/7/06 at 07:05 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Hellfire
Bike Engine power - That's what you're missing. More power, cutting edge technology and considerably less weight. Even has it's own gearbox incorporated into the engine.

Phil

No reverse gear so it means getting out and pushing. Unless of course you can get a reliable 150bhp and a reverse box for £1500?

Hellfire

posted on 2/7/06 at 07:08 PM Reply With Quote
But why would you want to go backwards??

MikeRJ

posted on 2/7/06 at 08:24 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Hellfire
But why would you want to go backwards??

I was assuming the OP would be using the car on the road, hence the SVA. Personaly I use reverse gear several times a day for getting into or out of parking spaces, and most especialy out of my very steep driveway (if you drive in forwards you can't get out of the car as there is a wall in the way).

[Edited on 2/7/06 by MikeRJ]

alister667

posted on 2/7/06 at 08:34 PM Reply With Quote
I've done about 7000 road miles no with no reverse, I have no plans to fit a reverse box, as it's simply not needed if you're careful where you park.
The thing weighs about the same as a go-kart anyhow so pushing it is a piece of p*ss!

http://members.lycos.co.uk/alister667/

MikeRJ

posted on 2/7/06 at 08:58 PM Reply With Quote
I'd love to see you push it out of my driveway if it weighs more than about 100kg!

Lack of reverse also rules out any autotesting which is a sport where the Locost can excel.

coozer

posted on 2/7/06 at 09:00 PM Reply With Quote
I thought about all that when I got my pinto donor.

I dumped the pinto thinking bike engine would be the best, however since then I've decided on a 1.8 zetec with bike carbs and megajolt. Fairly cheap and dead easy to set up.

I expect 155bhp without much work. The amount of cash to be spent on a pinto to get it to 150bhp can see a zetec up to 200bhp.

raining now and cold,
Steve

1972 V8 Jago

1980 Z750

indykid

posted on 2/7/06 at 09:57 PM Reply With Quote
it's been said so many times before that i'm not quite sure why it's being debated.

if you have a cec, it's not going to make economical sense to convert it to bec. the engine bay will need modification, it'll need a plate in the transmission tunnel for a centre bearing, it'll need a new prop, prop adapter, shift linkage etc etc etc. you're better off starting new.

you've no chance for bec for £1500, so it pretty much looks like zetec, but imo, your budget will be tight for that conversion too.
tom

pajsh

posted on 2/7/06 at 10:21 PM Reply With Quote
Seems like noone has really jumped to defend the old pinto so looks like Zetec it is.

I did consider BEC but I think it would be best from scratch. I'm still undecided about the longevity of something that's designed for pulling around 250Kg having to drag 600Kg.

What I was trying to get at was why and I think that has been answered.

Maybe one of the vintage rally or F2 stock boys might offer me something for my 205 and twin delloto's.

I used to be apathetic but now I just don't care.

Peteff

posted on 3/7/06 at 12:05 AM Reply With Quote
205 engine shouldn't need modifying for unleaded, by the way and the valves are big enough for anything you need.

yours, Pete

I went into the RSPCA office the other day. It was so small you could hardly swing a cat in there.

<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.