Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Reply
Author: Subject: mr2 turbo engine
madteg

posted on 5/7/06 at 08:56 PM Reply With Quote
mr2 turbo engine

Thinking of using mr2 engine, got it cheep, need bell housing to fit type 9 geerbox,where can i get one from ?.
JoelP

posted on 5/7/06 at 09:08 PM Reply With Quote
im almost certain that raw engineering will do one.
R1 STRIKER

posted on 5/7/06 at 11:26 PM Reply With Quote
As it's the turbo, I assume this is a 2.0 litre engine from a mk 2 car? If this is the case then i'm not sure RAW'S bellhousing will fit as it is for the earlier 1600 cars. would be good if it does though. Just a thought but what about a lexus box?

Ben.

TheGecko

posted on 6/7/06 at 12:51 AM Reply With Quote
An MR2 Turbo (assuming it's not an aftermarket add-on) will be a Mk II, SW20 chassis code. The engine is a 3S-GTE, which was never offered in RWD anywhere in Toyot's product line-up. I believe bell-housings are available - a search on that engine code (or 3SGE or 3S-GE for the non-turbo variants) should turn something up. A much later variant, the so-called BEAMS 3S-GE (Gen 4) was used in the Lexus IS200 in some markets. Those have the desirable, but heavy and expensive, V160 6-speed box. See this page for a Fraser clubman fitted with a Gen4 3S-GE.

In transverse fitment (as in the MR2 and ST185/ST205 AWD Celica's) the 3SGTE is slightly inclined. If you stnd it upright for inline mounting you should address the oil returns from the head to the sump to avoid problems there. Once again, search for info.

All in all, a well regarded motor and should be a lot of fun

Good luck,

Dominic

MikeRJ

posted on 6/7/06 at 03:39 PM Reply With Quote
Unless you have a very beefy Type 9 box a 3SGTE will turn it into shrapnel pretty quickly IMO. Even in stock form it has over 220lbft, with scope for lots more.

It also quite a heavy and physicaly large engine.

Megatron-UK

posted on 7/7/06 at 07:13 PM Reply With Quote
You will need to find a Celica Supra gearbox. I believe they have been used in the past to convert 3SGTE's to rwd use.

I know a number of AE86's have been converted to 3SG(T)E power rather than 4AGE, so you best bet is to have a look around their websites and forums.

New Topic New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.