Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Powerlite - brake connection question
Jumpy Guy

posted on 6/7/06 at 07:19 AM Reply With Quote
Powerlite - brake connection question

Mark,

Possibly a daft question- fitted the calipers, but the hose mountings seems very very tight.
There are a couple of pics in my archive..

The fitting screws into the caliper body, and seems ok for the first few turns, then goes solid. (which may be just a taper thread)

Just using a ring spanner its very tight, and I didn’t want to force it….

You can see in the second pic how far in it actually goes….

Is this normal? Paint on the threads etc…

(should I stop being a Jessie and just apply a lot more force, or is this ok, certainly doesnt seem to want to come back out..))

Cheers
Alan

tks

posted on 6/7/06 at 07:33 AM Reply With Quote
Watchout!

my feeling says it is M10x1 thread check that out!!

watch out for the type of thread, i recon that the first turns it enters.. but then it stucks..sow check the thread..

Tks

bilbo

posted on 6/7/06 at 07:58 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by tks
my feeling says it is M10x1 thread check that out!!

watch out for the type of thread, i recon that the first turns it enters.. but then it stucks..sow check the thread..

Tks

Yes, I agree. I've been looking at these same calipers for my build. Burtons state you have to adapt the brake line to M10x1

---------------------------------------

Build Diary: http://bills-locost.blogspot.com/
Web Site: http://locost.atspace.com

tks

posted on 6/7/06 at 08:49 AM Reply With Quote
YEAH

YEAH its like it should be METRIC!

ISO you know..

tradition is cool, but modernization is better

Tks

The above comments are always meant to be from the above persons perspective.

Jumpy Guy

posted on 6/7/06 at 03:30 PM Reply With Quote
i know what you're saying, but these were the fittings included in the Powerlite box.. i.e. they are the ones supplied by Wilwood...

anyone else bought and fitted these?

Paul (Notts)

posted on 6/7/06 at 03:31 PM Reply With Quote
I think (but could be wrong) all wilwood callipers have an inlet thread of 1/8 NPT
NOT M10

Paul

tks

posted on 6/7/06 at 03:46 PM Reply With Quote
mhhh

my calipers came with some kind of dick shape thing

it had 2 different thread sizez on it..

sow test wich side is the best..

i´m pretty sure that for mines it was m10 because to buy npt over here is pain in the **se and it wasn´t needed!

it was a converter from normal to ^ schape... i'm sure it had M10 on the input side and NPT on the ^ side..

Tks

[Edited on 6/7/06 by tks]

The above comments are always meant to be from the above persons perspective.

rally design

posted on 7/7/06 at 11:24 AM Reply With Quote
Inlet port,Wilwood Powerlite caliper

The photos show our adaptor union,RD1531 which has a 1/8 NPT taper thread into the inlet port and a M10 x 1,0 to accept Goodridge or Euroquip female swivel.By way of info the M10 x 1,0 and 1/8 NPT have similar thread forms,the latter being tapered....if you require a tight accomodation package where the fitting does not project far from the caliper it is possible to tap the inlet port M10 x 1,0 and then use banjo fittings,again Goodridge or Euroquip.
The 1/8 NPT is USA standard,in an ideal world we would use M10 x 1,0 but this would involve Wilwood having bespoke calipers especially for RD,which would cause stocking/delivery problems,RD has always been proud of our quick service and supporting stock/spares so it is a compromise that is difficult to avoid.
I have seen horror pictures and cars at shows where someone has tried to screw the standard rubber hose into the inlet port....don't!
We also have an alternative 1/8 NPT to 3/8 x 24 UNF adaptor if you wish to stay imperial.
Hope this helps,if in doubt please ring Andy at RD.

John Bonnett

posted on 18/7/06 at 03:04 PM Reply With Quote
I have the same calipers. They come with adapters. The square end is NPT and fits the caliper and the other end is probably M10 if it was supplied as a Capri kit or it could also be UNF. Rally Design keep both. In any event it's the square end that fits the caliper.

regards

John

rally design

posted on 20/7/06 at 08:40 AM Reply With Quote
Powerlite - brake connection question

The fitting in the caliper body is 1/8 NPT and its a tapered thread. We do keep male/male conversions to either M10 or UNF if required. If you buy a kit then the fittings are included. You can see the fittings on our website here

1/8 NPT Taper to 3/8 UNF
http://www.rallydesign.co.uk/catalog/product_info.php?products_id=8017

1/8 NPT Taper to M10
http://www.rallydesign.co.uk/catalog/product_info.php?products_id=8018

It is very important that the flat end of this fitting is used into the calipers.

We have heard of people tapping out the threads to M10 and using a banjo fitting, we would remind you that it is not recommended and will void the warranty.

If in doubt please call us on 01795-531-871

Relly Design Ltd

Thebig25

posted on 4/10/13 at 09:45 PM Reply With Quote
Thread resurrection to end all thread resurrections!

I have this problem with my new Wilwoods. Anybody got any ideas how to fix this issue?

My Thunderace BEC build blog

adithorp

posted on 4/10/13 at 10:29 PM Reply With Quote
Whats your issue? You have the adapter (assuming thats a picture of your caliper). Screw it in, attach M10 female ended flexi hose.

"A witty saying proves nothing" Voltaire

http://jpsc.org.uk/forum/

Thebig25

posted on 4/10/13 at 10:41 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by adithorp
Whats your issue? You have the adapter (assuming thats a picture of your caliper). Screw it in, attach M10 female ended flexi hose.

Thank you, I'm aware of the basic concepts of fittings and hoses. The issue is the same as the OP. The adapter will only go in a few turns before it becomes so tight it's almost impossible to turn, and I'm afraid that if I put anymore force through it it will snap. Since posting I've been back out to the cave and had another look and I think Rally Design have supplied a parallel fitting rather than what seems to be the correct tapered one. I'll give them a bell on Monday.

My Thunderace BEC build blog

adithorp

posted on 5/10/13 at 09:44 AM Reply With Quote
Sorry! I assumed from the first post that he didn't have the adapters and was trying to screw an m10 pipe direct into the caliper (someone posted about that question on another thread a couple of weeks ago). So when your picture hd the adapters I couldn't see your problem.

From menory mine were tapper thread adapters (but couldn't swear to it) and went in fairly easily untill the tapper tightened, so you might have the wrong ones as you suspect. You should be able to tell with a pair of vernier calipers on the adapter. It could also be that Wilwood havent cut the thread deep enough so the two tappers bind too soon. Either return or carefully cut the caliper thread a bit more.

What I did find was they were imposible to get a seal on. I had to resort to TPFE tape. It's not normally advised on brake fitting but tapper threads aren't normal on brakes either. I was very carefully to apply it so it didn't overlap the inner end of the adapter so there's less chance of any comming adrift inside the caliper.

"A witty saying proves nothing" Voltaire

http://jpsc.org.uk/forum/

Sloan85

posted on 5/10/13 at 10:18 AM Reply With Quote
You should be able to see by eye if it's a taper thread. Check with a vernier gauge or something similar (with parallel edges) if you can't see the taper.

Photo below shows my powerlites with rally design supplied adapter - you can see it is much further in than yours so you probably do have the wrong adapter.

Cheers

http://mkindygsxr.blogspot.co.uk

hobbsy

posted on 5/10/13 at 11:55 AM Reply With Quote
I used a bit of ptfe also and the adaptors went in far enough for me to be happy. No leaks and other than the extra faff of putting in a proportioning valve (I only have a single mc) they have been spot on so far and get a right hammering around the Alps and on track.

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.