Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Fuel pump trouble.
stevec

posted on 7/7/06 at 06:21 PM Reply With Quote
Fuel pump trouble.

Fitted a ZX6R Fuel pump. see pic. sorry its a bit big
Picks up the fuel instantly, runs fine for about ten minutes then gets its knickers in a twist and starts rattling quickly and wont pump fuel.
There is no air leak before the pump and loads of fuel in the tank. If you switch off and leave over night it works fine again for a while then throws a wobbler again. I am thinking maybe cavitation in the pipe after the pump that goes to the carbs, Any theorys?
Thanks.
Steve.

[Edited on 7/7/06 by stevec]

k33ts

posted on 7/7/06 at 06:34 PM Reply With Quote
probably nothing todo with it but its worth a try is that the earth pop rivited on.
some one is bound to come along and say im wrong but i just dont like the idea of riveting earths on.

tukcustoms.com

stevec

posted on 7/7/06 at 06:38 PM Reply With Quote
Yes its not a brilliant idea and its part of a list of jobs to do a bit better. but at the moment it does the job.
Edit, now has M6 nut and bolt through it, Got nothing else to do until I sort this poxy pump.
Steve.

[Edited on 7/7/06 by stevec]

phil m

posted on 7/7/06 at 08:03 PM Reply With Quote
Im not sure, but is the pump supposed to be placed near to the tank?

Could someone clarify the reason for this!

Phil

Macbeast

posted on 7/7/06 at 08:07 PM Reply With Quote
Tank breather blocked ?
JoelP

posted on 7/7/06 at 08:20 PM Reply With Quote
im sure bike pumps are meant to push not pull, but i dont think that would cause it. Breather sounds much better.
RazMan

posted on 7/7/06 at 08:42 PM Reply With Quote
I was thinking breather blocked too. 10 mins of pumping will create quite a vacuum.

** Watch that Codan fuel hose Steve! - mine turned to chewing gum when I put unleaded in the tanks. Apparently there might be a problem with a batch from the manufacturer. They are analysing my fuel pipe as we speak

[Edited on 7-7-06 by RazMan]

Cheers,
Raz

When thinking outside the box doesn't work any more, it's time to build a new box

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
stevec

posted on 7/7/06 at 08:57 PM Reply With Quote
Razman,
Thanks I will keep a close eye on it, I have a different make so I may just change it anyway.

Have checked the breather and removed a little filter I put in the line which is a bit restrictive but is capable of flowing a bit of air,
I will fire it up in the morning and see what happens. I will get to the bottom of it and I will post what the problem is.
Steve.

MkIndy7

posted on 7/7/06 at 11:04 PM Reply With Quote
In the bikes aren't the pumps normaly Gravity fed from the tank rather than having to pull the fuel up hill from the tank and then having to pump into the carbs

Also try and keep all the runs as straight as possible and remove bends where possible espescially close to the pump.

Are any of the fue lines getting hot in the engine bay, that won't help either.

rusty nuts

posted on 8/7/06 at 06:31 AM Reply With Quote
The old SU type fuel pumps were either a lift pump that was mounted fairly high up in the car , often at the front as in the Morris Minor or a push type normal low down at the rear of the car as on early Minis, Jags etc . Using the wrong type of pump would give the symptoms that you have . Might be worth fitting the pump lower down at the rear of the car so that it doesn't have to "suck" the fuel up .

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.