Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: BMW 320i
jamescho

posted on 1/5/03 at 07:01 AM Reply With Quote
BMW 320i

Hi,

Has anyone out there built a Locost using the BMW 320i as the donor? I'm new to this game, & relevant advice will be greatly appreciated. I've posted this message b4, but in the wrong area. So, for those of you who's come accross this earlier, my apologies.

Rgds..........James

James

posted on 1/5/03 at 10:06 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by jamescho
Hi,

Has anyone out there built a Locost using the BMW 320i as the donor? I'm new to this game, & relevant advice will be greatly appreciated. I've posted this message b4, but in the wrong area. So, for those of you who's come accross this earlier, my apologies.

Rgds..........James

I don't know anything about BMW stuff (although I've heard it's heavy and the engine is canted at an awkward angle) but:

A good rule of thumb is: the more you deviate from the original design/plans the longer it'll take and the more it'll cost.

You can make pretty much anything fit with enough effort it just depends how much time you've got or are willing to put in.

Metal Hippy is fitting a large Beemer engine so maybe a mail to him would help.

HTH,

James

ned

posted on 1/5/03 at 10:58 AM Reply With Quote
DITTO!

especially on the weight / awkwardness stuff (IMHO)

beware, I've got yellow skin

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
stephen_gusterson

posted on 1/5/03 at 10:59 AM Reply With Quote
my understand is that hippy's engine is still where bmw put it!

I agree with the deviation thing to my own experience

The 320 is a 6 cyl I think? Might be a bit long cos its an inline engine.

generally the height of the engine is an issue cos locosts are quite low little cars and it screws the bonnet line up.

Also, you need to allow space at the front of the chassis to let the engine come forwards and up to put it in and take it out of the frame. Just cos the gap looks long enought it may not be!

Further, the bay is narrower at the base than at the top. If 320 are anything like 3 year old 318 I, they have a lot of engine gubbins at the bottom of the engine like the alternator and crap, so may be quite wide at the base....

atb

steve

ChrisW

posted on 1/5/03 at 10:44 PM Reply With Quote
There's a pic of a BMW powered Viento here:

http://www.luegosportscars.com/viento/newprojects/newprojects.htm

Chris

My gaff my rules

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
Johan F

posted on 2/5/03 at 12:21 PM Reply With Quote
Hi James
I'm also thinking of using a BMW- engine.
I don't know wich model of the 320i you are refering to, but if it is the E30 (83-91) concider using the 4-cyl 16v M42 engine of the 318iS instead. It weighs less and is actually more powerfull (136hp to 129hp).
I don't really know how well they actually fit a seven, but I sure would like to find out.

Sorry for ev. poor spelling.

/ Johan

P.S
Yes, the 320 is a 6- cyl.

Mark H

posted on 2/5/03 at 02:19 PM Reply With Quote
Spelling...

Johan,

Don't worry - your spelling and grammer is better than most people on this site!

Mark

Mark Harrison and
Q986 KCP back from the dead...

Noodle

posted on 2/5/03 at 03:04 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
consider using the 4-cyl 16v M42 engine of the 318iS instead

If memory serves me right, the 318 and 325 Sport's came with a Limited Slip Differential too.

zetec

posted on 5/5/03 at 12:13 PM Reply With Quote
BMW E30 and E36 320 models have cast iron block, later post "96 6cyl have alloy block and head, still big engine. The only one I would consider is the M3 4 cylinder but pricey. Goes back to the old story of Ford/Vx engines cheap and easy to tune....
jamescho

posted on 8/5/03 at 06:15 PM Reply With Quote
Thanks for all your observations gents.....I'm still doing active research on what is best.......James.
Johan F

posted on 8/5/03 at 07:58 PM Reply With Quote
Please share what you finds out with us!

/ Johan

theconrodkid

posted on 8/5/03 at 09:16 PM Reply With Quote
as steve points out being a deviant from the book(and he should know)makes it hard work,so either use ford seirra as a doner or try a viento and you can use V8,BMW or what ever you like.my veiw for what its worth is its a small light car and should have a small light engine or you upset the handling and build in complication

who cares who wins
pass the pork pies

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.