Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Vag 1.8 20V Turbo (audi TT engine)
FlansS14

posted on 10/7/06 at 08:35 AM Reply With Quote
Vag 1.8 20V Turbo (audi TT engine)

Is anyone running one in there kit car yet, Ive seen cosworth turbos and 200sx engines fitted but not this one. Im currently running one in My Clio 16V which is pushing around 279Bhp lag free so i think it would be perfect for the Luego.

Any ideas lads.

Thanks

scoop

posted on 10/7/06 at 08:52 AM Reply With Quote
Be the first and go for it. If you have fitted one in a clio you can fit one in a Seven. This is highly rated modern engine which can pruduce huge power
bimbleuk

posted on 10/7/06 at 08:59 AM Reply With Quote
Quite a few running around in Lotus Elises to good effect also.
iank

posted on 10/7/06 at 10:14 AM Reply With Quote
Presume the Clio and the elise boys are all running it transverse on the VAG gearbox.

So the questions are really:
Is there an in-line gearbox fitment that can be made to work for sane money (doubt a type 9 would be up to it even if you can get a bellhousing).

Will it fit under the bonnet - with all the turbo gubbins and intercooler. Will getting rid of all that heat be a challenge?

Exhaust will need to be a special as well.

MikeR

posted on 10/7/06 at 10:14 AM Reply With Quote
only issue is getting gearbox to mate to it.

Duko, durrk, du........ oh that sweedish seven manufacture has figured it out, but they aren't keen to let people know.

graememk

posted on 10/7/06 at 10:15 AM Reply With Quote
i had the 225bhp TT and the oil pump went at 10k, so new engine under waranty then it went again at 40k no waranty so new engine (big£££) so i sold it to wait for it............ a hairdresser

[Edited on 10/7/06 by graememk]

ned

posted on 10/7/06 at 10:28 AM Reply With Quote
donkervoort use a bellhousing i believe. was talk about it quite recently and has been many times before - a search might help. I recall someone mentioning it has the clutch/flywheel on the gearbox side rather than the engine side or something odd?!

Ned.

beware, I've got yellow skin

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
MikeR

posted on 10/7/06 at 11:40 AM Reply With Quote
Someone on the seven's list looked into it as well. Got someone else to speak to the factory as i recall and they aren't prepared to sell the adaptor bits without a whole car.

Think he found the company that did the adaptor bits as well, but they didn't want to annoy their major customer by dealing direct.

Hammerhead

posted on 10/7/06 at 01:02 PM Reply With Quote
is this it? Rescued attachment Donkervoort_D8-10-L.jpg
Rescued attachment Donkervoort_D8-10-L.jpg

Hammerhead

posted on 10/7/06 at 01:07 PM Reply With Quote
Also this link has a UK type 9 gearbox fettler who modifies them to take 500NM of torque (whatever that is )
http://www.donkervoort.info/Tech%20tips.htm

Hammerhead

posted on 10/7/06 at 01:13 PM Reply With Quote
two views belowImage deleted by owner
Hammerhead

posted on 10/7/06 at 01:13 PM Reply With Quote
tight isnt it?Image deleted by owner
donut

posted on 10/7/06 at 01:30 PM Reply With Quote
tighter than a gnats chuff!!

Andy

When I die, I want to go peacefully like my Grandfather did, in his sleep -- not screaming, like the passengers in his car.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/andywest1/

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
iank

posted on 10/7/06 at 01:39 PM Reply With Quote
Looks like one of those engines where any/every job is/can be completed with only one tool
a credit card.

nick205

posted on 10/7/06 at 02:02 PM Reply With Quote
Certainly an engineering challenge to get it all in there, but I can't get away from my scepticism (spelling?) over turbo charged power delivery in a lightweight 7 style car. Obviously I've never driven one, but I just imagine it being too on/off when the turbo spools up to pressure - I guess engine/turbo choice and set-up would play a big part though.

I guess the VAG unit must be pretty readily available by now and not ridiculously expensive.

Be easier to use it with an Audi transaxle in a mid engine set-up though

martyn_16v

posted on 10/7/06 at 02:37 PM Reply With Quote
The 1.8T engines do still fetch a fair bit of cash considering the'yre in everything on the road at the moment, you're looking at well over 1k for a 180/225bhp version. That said, they are cracking engines. Very early ones had problems with failing coilpacks and weak water pump impellers, but certainly most will have had their coilpacks replaced by now. Other than that they're pretty reliable, no horror stories about unless you do something silly like whack up the boost and hope for the best.

As has been mentioned getting it mated to a gearbox is the tricky bit, VAG don't do any RWD 4 cylinders. Apart from Donkevoort there is Estfield who use a Lada gearbox, but apparently that isnt up to much above 150bhp. The porsche 924/944 transaxle would probably work but the whole gearbox is on the back axle (it's a fwd gearbox with a torque tube attaching it to the engine in front) so will be a squeeze in a 7. The LT van might be suitable, I can't find out if the 6 cylinder diesel engines have the same bellhousing bolt pattern as the 4cyl engines though. Other problem is the clutch, VAG make them backwards with the pressure plate bolted to the crank and the flywheel on top. Clutch is actuated by a pushrod coming through the centre of the input shaft.

One day soon someone is going to do it though, and I think they'll be on to a winner with it

FlansS14

posted on 10/7/06 at 03:15 PM Reply With Quote
thanks for the replys guys, Much apreciated. i wll probably end up making a bellhousing for it using an old gearbox like i did for the 1.6 Sigma but the plate might be a bit of an isuee. i no the local breakers which is handy aswell.

As for the power delivery its very good in mine, no lag to worry about and bags of torque which im worried may kill the type9 box bot never mind, here's my power graph

http://i13.photobucket.com/albums/a282/FlansS14/File0006.jpg

ill pick the engine up next week and have a look and "trial fit"

fingers crossed

nick205

posted on 10/7/06 at 03:59 PM Reply With Quote
keep us up to date with your build!
MkIndy7

posted on 10/7/06 at 04:20 PM Reply With Quote
Isin't there any Vag vans or people carriers that are RWD, the transporter etc?

Suppose they'd probably be a biton the big side though.

Megatron-UK

posted on 10/7/06 at 04:20 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by FlansS14
thanks for the replys guys, Much apreciated. i wll probably end up making a bellhousing for it using an old gearbox like i did for the 1.6 Sigma but the plate might be a bit of an isuee. i no the local breakers which is handy aswell.

As for the power delivery its very good in mine, no lag to worry about and bags of torque which im worried may kill the type9 box bot never mind, here's my power graph

http://i13.photobucket.com/albums/a282/FlansS14/File0006.jpg

ill pick the engine up next week and have a look and "trial fit"

fingers crossed

Based on that dyno chart you'll destroy the type-9 in a very short space of time. There's nothing the type-9 was originally fitted to that comes remotely near that kind of torque.

martyn_16v

posted on 10/7/06 at 05:09 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by MkIndy7
Isin't there any Vag vans or people carriers that are RWD, the transporter etc?

Nope, just the LT. The rest are all fwd

ned

posted on 10/7/06 at 06:57 PM Reply With Quote
As megatron says really - I'm concerned about my 170lb/ft killing the type 9 and you have 100lb/ft more than me! I suggest you use an alternative box such as a t5 out of a 2wd cossie for that sort of power.

Ned.

beware, I've got yellow skin

fatfranky

posted on 10/7/06 at 09:16 PM Reply With Quote
Actually the clutch on these engines is a conventional type, it was the older Golfs that had the back to front clutch.

As a general rule if its transverse engined and has a rod type gear linkage it's a back to front clutch (Mk1, Mk2 & some Mk3 Golfs and derivatives).

If it's transverse with a cable change box (as this engine would have) or in line (Passat or Audi A4 etc.) then it's a conventional type clutch.

Hope this helps

Volvorsport

posted on 10/7/06 at 10:36 PM Reply With Quote
i think a T5 box would be best , you can still buy the new aka the tremec tko 600 , an adapter plate shouldnt be too hard to make .

klracing.se make some vw manifolds and stuff , not sure on adapter plates .

i do know of a company that can punch 10mm steel accurately , if you need some help .

www.dbsmotorsport.co.uk
getting dirty under a bus

FlansS14

posted on 19/7/06 at 03:28 PM Reply With Quote
Thanks guys. maybe i should forget the type 9 in that case as im a bit of an "iratic" driver and want to thrash the car on a track. my other option was a 200sx engine and box but there abit old and BIG. i supose i could mod a 200sx box as there cheap and redily available

i also think it will be hard to get to 280bhp on the std k04 turbo. my clio has an evo intercooler which is pretty big and frontmounted, the luego chassis is very tight....

going to be interesting.... ?

<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.