Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: R1, flooded? New plugs?
MartinDB

posted on 14/7/06 at 07:37 PM Reply With Quote
R1, flooded? New plugs?

I wheeled the car outside this afternoon to start it. It's already run, about a month ago but I've re-terminated some of the wiring and tidied it.

Today it turned over but wouldn't fire. After checking for loose connections I realised that I'd forgotten to remove the paper towels I was using to stop muck falling into the intakes when I fitted the airbox.

Now (before I chase after possibly non-existant electrical problems and partly as it's an engine crane job to change the plugs) my question is, has the trying to start the engine with restricted air intake flooded the cylinders, and do I need to replace the plugs?

Thanks,
Martin.

Toady1

posted on 14/7/06 at 07:44 PM Reply With Quote
i wouldnt have thought there would be a need to replace the plugs if theyve got flooded. have you checked that no paper towel has been sucked into the engine on the inlet stroke tho?
RazMan

posted on 14/7/06 at 07:51 PM Reply With Quote
I had a similar problem when trying to start my V6 - platinum plugs got flooded while I figured out a wiring problem. New plugs were the only solution in my case - £30 a set too

Cheers,
Raz

When thinking outside the box doesn't work any more, it's time to build a new box

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
DIY Si

posted on 14/7/06 at 08:00 PM Reply With Quote
Not sure what the blade plug are like, but bird ones can be dried off nicely in the oven. About 15-20 mins at 130 should do the trick.
MartinDB

posted on 14/7/06 at 08:57 PM Reply With Quote
No pieces missing from the towels, so at least one thing's going right .
I'm tempted to replace them just to eliminate them.

Martin.

Hellfire

posted on 14/7/06 at 09:55 PM Reply With Quote
As a team that were trying to get the engine going for hours....

New plugs were the only answer on a new start.... fortunately for me they were free.

Only use NGK as 99% of bikers do...

JoaoCaldeira

posted on 15/7/06 at 08:35 AM Reply With Quote
It happened to me! Quite lot of time trying to start it when I realised that the air intake was bloked with tape!

Recharged the battery, tried a few more times and presto! she's running fine!

Joao

kev R1

posted on 15/7/06 at 12:45 PM Reply With Quote
take em out and dry em off on your gas hob!!! job done!!!
MartinDB

posted on 15/7/06 at 03:51 PM Reply With Quote
Weel, no-one locally had the plugs in stock.
It took me a while to get the last 2 out as the engine needed moving to get to them. I'm guessing these are the reason it won't start anymore.

Image deleted by owner

I'm assuming they were marginal when I first ran the car and the flooding was the last straw.

Martin.

bike_power

posted on 15/7/06 at 07:15 PM Reply With Quote
They look OK but check the gap, could just be the 'photo but they look very wide which will prevent it starting.
RazMan

posted on 15/7/06 at 08:49 PM Reply With Quote
Flooding can disable brand new plugs ..... like mine

Cheers,
Raz

When thinking outside the box doesn't work any more, it's time to build a new box

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
MartinDB

posted on 16/7/06 at 07:17 AM Reply With Quote
Given the access problems, I think I'll order new plugs tomorrow. At least then if it doesn't start I know it's not the plugs and the engine can stay put.

How dumb was I assuming a car designed to take the R1 engine would mean maintenance would be simple?

Martin.

Peteff

posted on 16/7/06 at 09:58 AM Reply With Quote
If you have to remove the engine to fit plugs it's going to be a ball ache, can't you cut an access panel somewhere to get at them. Don't get the iridiums till you've had it running on cheap standard plugs and think yourself lucky they aren't like the Ducati the bike shop had in a few weeks back, the plugs for that were £47 each.

yours, Pete

I went into the RSPCA office the other day. It was so small you could hardly swing a cat in there.

MartinDB

posted on 16/7/06 at 10:51 AM Reply With Quote
I can get two out no problem, and I can't remove this

Image deleted by owner

to get access to the other 2.

The engine has run, so I know it will again .

Martin.

Ferrino

posted on 16/7/06 at 03:08 PM Reply With Quote
I thought the same about the gap on those plugs - on the carbed R1s the gap is supposed to be somethiing like 0.8mm?
Peteff

posted on 16/7/06 at 04:03 PM Reply With Quote
What kind of plug spanner are you using? The one from a bike tool kit would probably fit in there, you can use them with an open ended spanner to get into tight spaces. It's definitely not been designed with convenience in mind.

yours, Pete

I went into the RSPCA office the other day. It was so small you could hardly swing a cat in there.

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.