Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Wireless Network Problem
xxx

posted on 24/7/06 at 03:00 PM Reply With Quote
Wireless Network Problem

Hi guys I need help connecting two computers via a wireless router! I have a netgear router, a home pc and my laptop. I have ran the wizard and used a usb dongle to configure the settings and as you can see the home pc is shown on my laptop's workgroup computers. However when I try to access the home computer I get the error message (shown below).
Any ideas why?

Cheers

Colin

darren(SA)

posted on 24/7/06 at 03:08 PM Reply With Quote
does the icon at the bottom of the screen say you are connected to the wireless network?

make sure both of your pcs are on the same IP range, same domain name, same gateway etc. I don't think this is a wireless problem, try connect the two pcs via a cross-over cable and get them talking them like that first to eliminate the wireless.

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
Scotty

posted on 24/7/06 at 03:45 PM Reply With Quote
my eyesight must be bad - cant read that!
as above - confirm settings, ensure ip is automatic assign,
still having probs ?

PLEASE NOTE! All comments made by this person are to be considered "Tongue in Cheek" and are not meant to be taken seriously in any way - so there!

Hellfire

posted on 24/7/06 at 05:04 PM Reply With Quote
I'm guessing you have XP Pro as that is the problem I had... it's not set up to share files. Fooking M$

Put a search into Google for this problem (XP Pro Filesharing) I think the website I got the info from was afterdawn...???? The problem is with your Main PC the one you are trying to access, it's not your remote PC/Laptop.

Took me days to sort it out - but now I have a remote printer and everything.. it's brilliant!!! WHEN IT WORKS (I have a recent problem now!!)

Good luck!

Steve

esn163

posted on 24/7/06 at 05:47 PM Reply With Quote
Hi,

If the network is working but you can't access other PCs, but can access the internet from both machines, it sounds like the problem we had.

IIRC you have to allow sharing to the drives on the PC you are trying to access before you can 'see' the computer by typing backslash backslash computer’s name.

IIRC you have to do this by right clicking the drive or folder you want to be able to access from the other computer on the computer the folder / drive is on. So right click, properties, sharing and set the settings to allow sharing and allowing remote changing of files if you like. I think this is the way I solved this problem. Then when you type backslash backslash computer’s name you should be able to see drives that you set to share on the other computer.

One thing to watch out for when you do this however is that you sometimes only share the folder you set to share and not other folders within these. To avoid this, you are sometimes given the option to apply the setting to subfolders aswell.

HTH

Ed

[Edited on 24/7/06 by esn163]

Indy Build Photos
** Build pages **
Photo Bucket Pics

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
darren(SA)

posted on 25/7/06 at 02:00 PM Reply With Quote
Oh, and try stay away from netgear. try go for a buffalo unit or Linksys.
chockymonster

posted on 25/7/06 at 02:37 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by darren(SA)
Oh, and try stay away from netgear. try go for a buffalo unit or Linksys.

Why? My netgear was 100% reliable, unlike the Linksys thing that has replaced it. Hand holding interface that won't let me set the box up the way I want it, unreliable and flaky connection.

Have a look here for info on file sharing

http://www.practicallynetworked.com/sharing/xp/filesharing.htm

PLEASE NOTE - Responses on Forum Threads may contain Sarcasm and may not be suitable for the hard of Thinking.

darren(SA)

posted on 26/7/06 at 06:50 AM Reply With Quote
We in the wireless game here in SA, mainly outdoor kit. However we have replaced alot of the netgear stuff over the years.

The linksys stuff can be flashed with all sorts of firmware which doubles output power etc.

Buffalo in our our experience, besides Cisco (5 x the price) is one of the most reliable makes we have used. In fact all our buffalo kit comes from the UK,

www.buffalotech.com.

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.