Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: spray painting (sorry)
quinnj3

posted on 14/8/06 at 06:58 PM Reply With Quote
spray painting (sorry)

hi i know this is probably a fairly well covered topic on this forum but i can't seem to find much info. All i really want is clarification that i'm doing the job right.

I'm painting a new wing for my brothers corsa. The car is only worth about 300 so he's not worried about matching paint colours but i would like to get a good paint job on it any way. What i've done already is wet/dry 1000grit on the wing, cleaned it up and primered it. What i think i need to do next is 1000grit on the primer, spray a couple light coats of paint, 1000grit again, spray another couple coats, cutting compound?, Spray a few coats laquer then cut back with cutting compund again. Is this right?

cheers

my aim is to build my own locost wether it takes me a week or 10 years to get started, i'm sure i will sometime

JoelP

posted on 14/8/06 at 07:18 PM Reply With Quote
for a short list of threads to read through, search for the key word 'spraying' and posts by user 'mark allanson' together, you will find about 10 thread mostly relevant to spraying. Mark is pretty handy at this, though im sure there are loads of other competent members too.
HAL 1
Builder

Posts 226
Registered 5/2/06
Location bolton

Photo Archive Go!
Building: Built haldane 100, retirement project Marcos GT

posted on 14/8/06 at 07:22 PM Reply With Quote
sounds about right to me, are you laquering because its metallic ? if its a solid colour you shouldn't need to, if you're using cellulose just a cutting compound should be ok
quinnj3

posted on 14/8/06 at 07:53 PM Reply With Quote
Its a metallic burgundy, I know its not going to match in with the rest of the car, i'm happy as long as there will be no roughness or uneveness on the wing and a nice shiny paint job. Do i need to use cutting compound on the paint just before laquering or should i try to avoid this.

thanks for the replys.

my aim is to build my own locost wether it takes me a week or 10 years to get started, i'm sure i will sometime

k33ts

posted on 14/8/06 at 08:24 PM Reply With Quote
no need to cut the colour give an hour or so to dry then laquer

tukcustoms.com

quinnj3

posted on 14/8/06 at 08:48 PM Reply With Quote
excelent ill get the wing finished by the weekend then thanks for the help.

caber

posted on 16/8/06 at 04:25 PM Reply With Quote
Careful! If you do too good a job on the wing you might find yourself compounding the whole car to match the shininess!!

Caber

johnjulie

posted on 17/8/06 at 09:45 PM Reply With Quote
When applying the colour, give it a couple of decent coats, then as a final coat move the gun a little further away to give a uniform mist of colour over the wing. That way you won't end up with a stripy finish.
The colour will be flat when dry, that's OK, it's the laquer that gives the gloss. Give it two or three coats of laquer, the last one being quite wet, that will give you a good gloss.
Cheers John

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.