Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Damaged Coil? Diagnosis Required!
Ferrino

posted on 21/8/06 at 11:02 AM Reply With Quote
Damaged Coil? Diagnosis Required!

Was out testing my Translogic flatshift system last night and managed to hit a false-neutral. Slotted it back into gear and noticed power was way down and thought the worst - however, it sounded like it was just misfiring (maybe running on 1-2 cylinders) and I nursed it home at 4,000 RPM (sounded terrible).

Back in the garage, I noticed that exhaust pipes 2 & 3 were a lot cooler than 1 & 4 and upon removal of the spark plugs, I noticed the pistons of 2 & 3 looked wet (unburned fuel I guess), whereas 1 & 4 were dry. I then tested the spark plugs by turning the engine over with the plugs out and yes 2 & 3 were not working, 1 & 4 fine.

This suggests that the coil serving 2 & 3 is knackered - is it reasonable to presume that the false-neutral sent the revs sky-high and consequently blew the coil? I don't know how many revs it was doing when I was periodically in neutral but I'm guessing it was high!

If anyone has any spare carbed R1 ignition coils then please let me know!

Thanks

nitram38

posted on 21/8/06 at 11:34 AM Reply With Quote
Try swapping the coils over before spending any money.
Ferrino

posted on 21/8/06 at 11:43 AM Reply With Quote
Hi - i took the trigger wire from the 'good' coil (which fires 1 & 4) and transferred it to the 'bad' coil to see if it would fire 2 & 3 - it did not, so I assume the problem lies with the 'bad' coil and nothing 'upstream' (I can take the trigger wire from the 'bad' coil, transfer it to the 'good' coil, and it fires 1 & 4 fine).
bike_power

posted on 21/8/06 at 11:49 AM Reply With Quote
Check the compression too but hope it's justs a coil !
spunky

posted on 21/8/06 at 12:09 PM Reply With Quote
Don't want to sound negative, but there is no reason I can think of why hi revs should blow a coil.
Hopefully it is, but more coincidance than cause.

Also rev limiter should protect the engine from any damage.

John

The reckless man may not live as long......
But the cautious man does not live at all.....

Coose

posted on 21/8/06 at 01:46 PM Reply With Quote
When you sawpped coils, did you swap plugs too? A wet plug will not fire....

Spin 'er off Well...

Ferrino

posted on 22/8/06 at 09:49 AM Reply With Quote
Did the Yamaha tests on the coils and they were both fine! The only wires I did not test were the +12V feeds to the coils - one of them was dead! It is the +12V feed to each coil that is cut by the ignition-interrupt box and it seems that on the upshift, the power to both coils was cut, as normal, but one regained power and the other didn't, hence the misfire. I don't think I actually hit a false neutral at all, it probably just seemed so from the lack of power from the misfire. Have now removed interrupt box.

CHEERS!

Ferrino

posted on 25/8/06 at 03:48 PM Reply With Quote
One more thing - do you think I should replace the spark plugs on the non-firing cylinders? I had to drive about 6 miles with only 1 & 4 firing, to nurse the car home. ta.
Coose

posted on 25/8/06 at 10:18 PM Reply With Quote
Yes. Unless you bung them in the oven on gas mark 5 for an hour they'll be stuffed...

Just don't let Mrs Ferrino know if you do!

Spin 'er off Well...

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.