Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Type 9 neutral indicator and remote start?
se7ensport

posted on 23/8/06 at 12:51 PM Reply With Quote
Type 9 neutral indicator and remote start?

Just bought a bike alarm with immobiliser and remote start for my kit (pinto engineed).

I plan to do away with the steering column lock and fit an additional starter button in its place. As I have remote start its seems a shame not to wire it in, only issue I can think of is ensuring it only opperates in neutral, any suggestions for adding a switch to indicate neutral as I can than take a feed of this to a relay, the gearbox is the usual type 9.

Cheers Alex

Tiger Super Six

posted on 23/8/06 at 01:16 PM Reply With Quote
Not sure on that - the other way which a friend has done is to make a contact with the clutch pedal. the contact is only made when the clutch is down and therefore it will only start if this is the case.

Mark.

Mark

Tiger Avon

daKlone

posted on 23/8/06 at 01:59 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Tiger Super Six
Not sure on that - the other way which a friend has done is to make a contact with the clutch pedal. the contact is only made when the clutch is down and therefore it will only start if this is the case.

Mark.

Hmm, not much use for a remote starter though, eh?

You could rig up a microswitch, but you'd have to make sure that you positioned the gear level just so while in neutral to ensure that the switch made (say pulling it towards you).

Or how about a crook-lock type thing that locks the gear lever in neutral the could also make a microswitch when fitted? Gives you added security and remote start!!

dK

Winter is coming...

Guinness

posted on 23/8/06 at 03:28 PM Reply With Quote
I'd wire round the neutral switch to be honest.

You'll only leave it in gear the first few times you try to start it remotely! Kangarooing off across the car park, with you chasing it.

You'll soon learn!

Cheers

Mike

MkIndy7

posted on 23/8/06 at 04:46 PM Reply With Quote
I'd thought about this for another car,

The only sort of switch I could think of to ensure it was in neutral was something along the lines of a joystick, where it detects movement in any direction.

Any other type of swich i could think of would get in the way of the working of the gear stick, except typing that i've just thought of another lol!
I wonder if a tilt switch could be made to work, as the only place the gear leaver is dead upright is in neutral, hmmmmm

the_fbi

posted on 23/8/06 at 05:45 PM Reply With Quote
As above, put a microswitch in ever gear position, as they locate more positively than neutral does.

Wire them all up in parallel, so in the event that any of them is closed (in gear) it'll fail to start.

Or use normally closed ones, and if the circuit is made then it won't start. Depending on what the remote start input is looking for.

se7ensport

posted on 23/8/06 at 10:19 PM Reply With Quote
thanks for the input, I like the idea of all micro switches in series although it will be quite fiddley to install.... I might go for the kangaroo option

I'm thinking more about the tilt switch and it would only work on level ground i.e. how to start it on a hill?? fit a spirit level in the gearknob!

the_fbi

posted on 23/8/06 at 11:21 PM Reply With Quote
How about an opto sensor, looking up from the gate which requires to see a reflection back to itself.

Then, a small tab coming off the lever at right angles and positioned above the opto when in neutral.

Tab is a stainless surface so nicely reflects for the opto. Tab doesn't get in the way at all when changing gear as its "floating" 1/2" above the gate.

Actually, a reed switch, positioned on the gate, looking upwards, at a magnetic tab mounted at 90 degrees to the stick would work too.

Pic below.
Dark grey on stick is magnet. Red is reed switch fixed to tunnel top (all under gaiter)

[Edited on 23/8/06 by the_fbi]

se7ensport

posted on 24/8/06 at 10:55 AM Reply With Quote
thats a genius idea, I love it, I'll be on ebay shortly looking for a reed switch!

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.