Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Throttle/clutch cable
locoboy

posted on 28/8/06 at 05:14 PM Reply With Quote
Throttle/clutch cable

What cables have you used for your clutch and throttle on R1 installations?

Are the bilke cables long enough?

And would pushbike brake cable be man enough for the job?

Also whats the recommended method of attaching the cable to the pedal to avoid chafing etc?

[Edited on 28/8/06 by locoboy]

ATB
Locoboy

Humbug

posted on 28/8/06 at 06:22 PM Reply With Quote
I have a K Series not a BEC, but I used a bike cable for my throttle - no problems so far in 1500 miles
esn163

posted on 28/8/06 at 07:01 PM Reply With Quote
Hi,

we used a bike cable for the throttle - seems OK so far but not too sure that would be up to the job for the clutch so used the original bike clutch cable since they are thicker - takes quite a bit of force to pull the clutch on a bike engine. You could probably use a solderless cable nipple to attach to the pedal but we made our own out of a bolt with a small hole for the cable to go through and then trapped it between the head of the bolt through the pedal and a washer either side of the cable - seems to work well so far

HTH

Ed

[Edited on 28/8/06 by esn163]

Indy Build Photos
** Build pages **
Photo Bucket Pics

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
MartinDB

posted on 28/8/06 at 07:21 PM Reply With Quote
I've used a tandem cable for my throttle as there's not a lot of force involved.
I've used a bike clutch cable (cheers Ox) for the clutch as I wasn't sure if the original tandem cable was man enough.
I've used pushbike solderless cable nipples on both cables. The throttle cable's attached through my pedal arm as it was in the doner and my clutch is a bit of a bodge, next time I'd use something like this.

Martin.

JoelP

posted on 28/8/06 at 08:58 PM Reply With Quote
i used a push bike cable on my zx9 for the clutch, it works fine. Only trouble is trying to stop it slipping though. Currently it has a drilled bolt, and two brass things out of a junction box, but the absence of a bottom stop on the pedal means it gradually pulls through. Im gonna get a couple of nipple for it soon, and make a proper stop.
locoboy

posted on 28/8/06 at 09:10 PM Reply With Quote
Is a tandem cable just a cable from a tandem bicycle or is it actually a tandem (twin) cable?

ATB
Locoboy

MartinDB

posted on 29/8/06 at 12:03 AM Reply With Quote
Tandem as in 2 seater bike, but my engine's behind me, so it had to be long. I'm guess any push-bike rear brake cable would do for a front engined car.

Martin.

Winston Todge

posted on 29/8/06 at 07:09 AM Reply With Quote
Hi Martin,

Just fitted my throttle cable last weekend and used a 2 metre universal bike brake cable from Clarks. £8 from Halfords but can be sourced cheaper elsewhere.

As for the clutch cable I've gone for major overkill with a 4 series HP tension cable from www.cable-tec.co.uk. I then attached M5 rod ends and used a direct cable routing to the clutch arm instead of right around the normal bike route. I can say that there is absolutely no flex in the cable and it is very direct and smooth. I didn't want to compromise here as any flex could affect your ability to control an already very binary clutch. Plus I doubled up on clutch diaphragm springs to give it a little more feedback.

I'm always a little paranoid about a clutch cable snapping so I thought I'd ere on the side of caution...

Chris.

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
Ferrino

posted on 29/8/06 at 10:55 AM Reply With Quote
I used bicycle cable for the throttle (a few quid for inner and outer from wiggle.co.uk - silky smooth!), with solderless nipple on pedal end and I filed down the original bicycle nipple for the carb end.

For clutch, I swung the little lever on the engine around 180 degrees and used the original Yamaha clutch cable outer and inner. Had to weld a bracket on my engine mounts to hold the adjuster. The advantage of swinging the lever around 180 degrees is that you get a shorter and straighter run from the pedals. To attach the clutch cable inner to the clutch pedal, I drilled a hole through the shank of an M8 bolt, fed the cable through, and you then tighten it against the pedal using a nut on t'other end. Works very well!

JoelP

posted on 29/8/06 at 03:44 PM Reply With Quote
good idea turning it round, my cable has to loop in front of the engine to pull via the normal sleeve holder.

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.