Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Transmission tunnel knocking
Big Jay

posted on 1/9/06 at 09:55 PM Reply With Quote
Transmission tunnel knocking

Went out for a blast today and really put my foot down for the first time. Whilst in second I accelerated hard around a roundabout and then some more on the exit. This is when the knocking/ banging happened. About 3 or 4 loud bangs but stopped as I staightened out. Can this happen when you drive hard like that? Has anybody else experienced it? What caused it?? I have an Indy with pinto and LSD by the way. Hope somebody can help (and tell me nothing to worry about!!) Cheers

[Edited on 1/9/06 by Big Jay]

[Edited on 1/9/06 by Big Jay]

caber

posted on 1/9/06 at 10:18 PM Reply With Quote
open up the tranny tunnel and look for the shiney bits! Could be prop shaft uni joint hitting the chassis if you have enough movement in your bushes on the back axle, also check for loose tools hiding somewhere!

Caber

Aboardman

posted on 1/9/06 at 11:07 PM Reply With Quote
i have come across the same problem on my super 6 with a LSD and cannot find what is causing it
indykid

posted on 1/9/06 at 11:46 PM Reply With Quote
if it's in an indy, i'd say first port of call would be the alternator fan. i thought the prop was knocking for ages on my old one until i realised it was the fan on my rascal alternator.

however, after accident damage, and a strip down, there was a lot of shiny metal on the tubes round the front uj on the prop. a westfield gearbox mount, and some fettling of the sierra bracket should sort that one out. (it could have been the fact that the gearbox was sat against the passenger footwell, but the damage looked more like a regular chaffing than one off accident damage)

while shortening the fan belt sorted the knock on left hander drifting, it would appear the prop still managed to contact the tunnel tubes. check both, and then draw conclusions.
tom

stevebubs

posted on 2/9/06 at 12:06 AM Reply With Quote
gearbox moving on mount?
rusty nuts

posted on 2/9/06 at 06:43 AM Reply With Quote
Had a similar problem on my Luego, fitted a Westfield gearbox mount which has cured it. Mount is not astraight forward fit , had to make an adaptor plate to fit to chassis which lowered the rear of the box very slightly giving better clearance to my remote
john_p_b

posted on 2/9/06 at 01:21 PM Reply With Quote
sounds exactly what mine was doing. mine was down to stupidity of having the gearbox mount bolt fall out but i've heard of ppl having excessive movement cause exactly the same problem.

if it's not closed in at the bottom then get underneath see if you can pull it around, if you can move it by hand then think what will happen as you're giving it full throttle combined with chassis twist etc.

built a car, built a home, had a family. lost the family, lost the home, still got the car.

donut

posted on 7/9/06 at 06:37 AM Reply With Quote
Seeing as i built the car!!!!

It's the end of the gearbox banging on the chassis. It happens due to the Indy tranny tunnel being very narrow and the sierra gearbox mount having a rubbery mount with lots of give. Usually the cure is to either stick some hard rubber on the chassis where it hits or replace the gearbox mount with one from Westfield............. Or drive like a girl!!

Andy

When I die, I want to go peacefully like my Grandfather did, in his sleep -- not screaming, like the passengers in his car.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/andywest1/

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
David Jenkins

posted on 7/9/06 at 07:46 AM Reply With Quote
Is it a Sierra mount? If so, do you have the bell-shaped washer thingy under it?

The bell-shaped washer is meant to stop the rubber moving around too much.

David

Marcus

posted on 7/9/06 at 12:01 PM Reply With Quote
I ended up modifying the chassis so the prop yoke misses the chassis!
My gearbox mount was (is) very soft, so on acceleration, going round a left hand bend, the prop hit the first upright in the tunnel. Was worse 2 up so the embarrasment doubled!

Marcus

Because kits are for girls!!

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
Peteff

posted on 7/9/06 at 12:56 PM Reply With Quote
Get a big repair washer or two under the head of the bolt inside the bell, it makes it a lot more solid.

yours, Pete

I went into the RSPCA office the other day. It was so small you could hardly swing a cat in there.

coozer

posted on 7/9/06 at 05:07 PM Reply With Quote
Had teh same problem on my Striker. Rear axle moving over under the forces generated when cornering and the diff flange was touching the tran tunnel side.

Only happened to me when I had a passenger. It was the rubbers in the panhard rod being too 'forgiving'

Rod ends on the panhard rod, ends!

Steve

1972 V8 Jago

1980 Z750

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.