Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Wireless TV signal sender thingies
Jon Ison

posted on 5/9/06 at 06:01 PM Reply With Quote
Wireless TV signal sender thingies

Anyone got any recommendations, want too send sky too other TVs in house but would rather not run wires.
The sort of thing you see in Argos, any good ?

Tim 45

posted on 5/9/06 at 06:26 PM Reply With Quote
FYI you can only watch the same channel on all tv's if only one box.

Sorry i cant be more helpful

flange nut

posted on 5/9/06 at 06:38 PM Reply With Quote
Hi,

We've had a couple in the past. The current one recently came from Tesco's for under £25. I think the picture and sound quality is pretty good. We some times watch Sky up, in the bedroom and you would be hard pressed to say the TV wasn't directly connected to the Sky box. You can even control the Sky box via the sender. You do get interference from microwave ovens and if some one walks in the way of the signal.

Geoff

coozer

posted on 5/9/06 at 06:44 PM Reply With Quote
I tried one to transmit sky to my pc. Just 5 metres, no walls and it was rubbish.

I now have a 6 metre component cable I made myself from Maplin parts and a 5 metre audio dual audio cable that works a treat!

1972 V8 Jago

1980 Z750

alister667

posted on 5/9/06 at 06:47 PM Reply With Quote
Yep, I got one of the tescos ones as well (bought it off ebay) and it's a great job. As said earlier, you can only watch 1 sky channel at a time throughout the house, but it is pretty good. Being able to control the skybox via the built in IR transmission is ace. Recommended.

http://members.lycos.co.uk/alister667/

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
wilkingj

posted on 5/9/06 at 07:17 PM Reply With Quote
Please bear in mind these devices are running on 2.4Ghz frequency wise. They are very low power, and will not go very far ie through many walls before the signal is reduced to nothing.

Please look at how they are sited in relation to each other. If they have plate (type) aerials, try to make them face each other, or point at each other at least generally.

ALso if you pump your Video up them, be aware that Anyone else nearby can pick up the transmissions and see what you are sending. Ie Beware if your Video content is risque or its you and the wife videoing yourselves etc etc

I think you probably get the picture now, So no Pun intended

SO just be warned, if you put it over the air, you can bet there is someone else recieving it. Whether you want them to or not.
As you dont need a licence (ISM Band) for the Video Senders transmitter or reciever, others dont need a licence to recieve it either!

Just my 2d worth, and to make you all aware of the situation.

1. The point of a journey is not to arrive.
2. Never take life seriously. Nobody gets out alive anyway.

Best Regards
Geoff
http://www.v8viento.co.uk

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
Jon Ison

posted on 5/9/06 at 08:04 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by flange nut
Hi,

We've had a couple in the past. The current one recently came from Tesco's for under £25. I think the picture and sound quality is pretty good. We some times watch Sky up, in the bedroom and you would be hard pressed to say the TV wasn't directly connected to the Sky box. You can even control the Sky box via the sender. You do get interference from microwave ovens and if some one walks in the way of the signal.

Geoff

How far would you say you are sending the signal ? Many walls ?

k33ts

posted on 5/9/06 at 09:06 PM Reply With Quote
i brought some from b&q absulte load of rubbish i think youd need a small distance to make use of them.
i wanted to tranmit from one side of house to the other about 40ft could just about make out picture.
hard wire it

tukcustoms.com

Humbug

posted on 5/9/06 at 09:20 PM Reply With Quote
I saw some in the Maplin newsletter - don't know if they are any good. I achieved the same thing by running a cable back up from the Sky box to an 8-way splitter in the loft, which was put there when the house wsa built about 10 years ago. That means anything on the Sky box can be seen in any room with a TV socket. Downside - as mentioned with the wireless - is that you can only have 1 Sky channel on at a time in the whole house, but there is no signal problem!
Jon Ison

posted on 5/9/06 at 09:34 PM Reply With Quote
I understand the one channel bit but would this work ?
If I pulled out the aerial lead from the wall, (not watching via aerial anyway) and plugged in the sky output signal (spare output on back of box) that would send it all around the house too all the TVs ? Yea ?

k33ts

posted on 5/9/06 at 09:42 PM Reply With Quote
yea does work thats what i did in the end but picture deteriates slightly but no where near as bad as them transmiter things

i havnt got an ariel and conncted all the sockets together in the loft

[Edited on 5/9/06 by k33ts]

tukcustoms.com

Jon Ison

posted on 5/9/06 at 09:45 PM Reply With Quote
mmmmmmm, so next thing is changing channel, do these remote signal sender on thingies work ? Or do I kick she who as too be obeyed out of bed too go n flick thru channels whiles adverts are on ?

k33ts

posted on 5/9/06 at 10:01 PM Reply With Quote
buy the sky link works well

look heresky link

[Edited on 5/9/06 by k33ts]

tukcustoms.com

DaveFJ

posted on 6/9/06 at 08:06 AM Reply With Quote
quote:

ALso if you pump your Video up them, be aware that Anyone else nearby can pick up the transmissions and see what you are sending. Ie Beware if your Video content is risque or its you and the wife videoing yourselves etc etc

Years ago i was serving in Germany and living in a block of flats. There was a central aerial plumbed into each flat.. (can you see it coming?) we discovered that when one couple were watching their home made cultural videos we could tune into them in any flat in the block. this discovery was shortly followed by a series of parties as all the lads came over to watch and dfrink beer!! I don't know if the couple ever actually found out

[Edited on 6/9/06 by DaveFJ]

Dave

"In Support of Help the Heroes" - Always

martyn_16v

posted on 6/9/06 at 01:38 PM Reply With Quote
I've used a couple of different ones and the quality really does vary. Currently got the cheapy one from Argos and it's utter pap, poor quality sound and picture even over a short open distance, gets even worse trying to go through the wall, and I have to turn off my wireless router if I want to use it as it interferes.

Best one I've used belongs to the father-in-law, he bought it in France a couple of years back. Didn't pick up any interference from the WiFi kit, and worked great from one corner of the house downstairs to the opposite corner upstairs. In fact, I wonder if he'd notice if the two units 'accidentally' got swapped over

wacomuk

posted on 6/9/06 at 01:52 PM Reply With Quote
i have some senders the only thing that buged me was only having one channel
so i modded a remotecontrole
got 7 meters of thin cable and put it under the carpet streching from the bedroom to the living room ceiling. un solderd the infered LED from the remote and conected it to the cable (downstairs in the ceiling) then conected the other end of the cable to the remote

it works a treat

http://www.insightbookingsolutions.co.uk

mangogrooveworkshop

posted on 6/9/06 at 03:30 PM Reply With Quote
how many meters of cable do you need

JamJah

posted on 6/9/06 at 03:32 PM Reply With Quote
Theres an imporved pyramid sender from marmiter is good as it will also take the infra red signals back to the box which some dont!
They orginally made control pick ups for cupboard stored equipment which is how i first found them for rackgear in theatre.

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.