Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Our dashboard - nearly done..
chrsgrain

posted on 10/9/06 at 04:35 PM Reply With Quote
Our dashboard - nearly done..

Hi all....

Decided not to take the normal path with our dashboard, and as its pretty close to being finished, thought I'd show you all how its turned out.... constructive comments welcome!

First step was to glue foam to the flat Dax dashboard, and then shape it with surform, then sandpaper to get roughly the shape we were after (have shaped surfboards, so very similar!)

Then stuck it in the car to make sure it all fitted and didn't look too bad. Stage 2 was to cut out a hole for a small glovebox - then make a former for the glovebox itself out of foam. Cover the former with fibreglass, extract foam (had covered it with clingfilm before glassing) and then attach it to the dashboard. Glassed the centre bit at the same time...

After that it was hole drilling time - couldn't find hole cutters big enough for the larger instruments, so cut as big as possible then dremel to size. Pop the instruments in - and there you go! Last picture could have been first as it was the initial (and only!) drawing, turned out pretty similar.

All the pictures are clickable - and the eagle eyed may see some bits which need filling before covering, but its pretty close to being done....

By the way - after a small stainless plate to go round the bright6 when its in, and another for the switches, anyone any ideas about where to get them made up?

Chris and Sarah

[Edited on 10/9/06 by chrsgrain]

Spoing! - the sound of an irony meter breaking...

Jonte

posted on 10/9/06 at 05:05 PM Reply With Quote
Looks really good. Like the idea when the instruments are faced to the driver, and also the glovebox.

The only thing is when it gets wet and the instruments are realy out there in the free. How about som kind of small (eye)lids on the top of them. Just to make the water take another route and not down in the instruments.

imho

Click it

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
iank

posted on 10/9/06 at 06:37 PM Reply With Quote
What about NS Dev's mate for the SS switch and bright 6 surrounds.

http://customsolutions.me.uk/

MikeRJ

posted on 15/9/06 at 05:12 PM Reply With Quote
Really like that, very smart and a welcome change from the standard flat dash.

I reckon that design wouldn't fit many locosts without getting in the way of the gear lever though.

quadra

posted on 17/9/06 at 06:58 PM Reply With Quote
Looks nice Chris, but have you checked that you don't hit your knuckles on the speedo when you select Thrid gear. Also can you see the rev counter in its current postion, the only reason I ask is that I have the rev counter in the same place on my car and its not too easy to see.

Mike

You don't need eyes to see, you need vision!

JackNco

posted on 18/9/06 at 11:30 PM Reply With Quote
NICE
the wood trim looks great as well

John

Some people are worried about the difference between right and wrong. I'm worried about the difference between wrong and fun.
O'Rourke, P.J. (1989), Holidays in hell. London (Picador)

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.