Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Nissan SR20DET Transmission mounting
Phil Bradley

posted on 11/9/06 at 01:59 PM Reply With Quote
Nissan SR20DET Transmission mounting

Hi All
I’m needing more space (aren’t we all) and need some advise please.
I have two protruding mounts on my gearbox that are catching on the first vertical tube (after the original gearbox mounting bracket) in the transmission tunnel (Luego Velocity). These mounts are for rubber mounting anchors when installed in the original Nissan 200SX. These protrusions are taking away valuable space in the engine bay. If I remove them, I will be able to mount the gearbox a further 10mm back. This might not seem like a lot but it’s the difference between an easy fix and cutting / re-welding the chassis – which I don’t want to do.
Is it necessary to have both the bolted mounts (in the middle) as well as the rubber mounts (at the end)? How are you guys mounting GB’s?

Thankyou and regards,
Phil

FlansS14

posted on 12/9/06 at 01:54 PM Reply With Quote
Phil im sure your box is the same as mine. I know the bolts your on about and when i removed the box from my car they did not connect to anything. It was only mounted by the 2bolts underneith that then attach to the rubber mount.

I had to widen the front of my tunnel to fit the gearbox as far back as i wanted. have you looked where your clutch mech is on the side of the box. Mine got in the way of the chassis.

Flan

Why didn't i just make it simple!

Phil Bradley

posted on 27/9/06 at 04:15 PM Reply With Quote
Hi
Here's an update:
I trial fitted the engine this last weekend. It just fits with about 10mm to spare from the front-bottom cross member in the engine bay.
I cut off the two bits at the end of the gear box which gave me the extra space that I needed. All I need now is the mounts but due to lack of experience and time, I'm going to have them professionally made.
Cheers
Phil

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.