Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Masking tapes
oliwb

posted on 20/9/06 at 01:34 PM Reply With Quote
Masking tapes

What type of masking tape should I be using to paint a rim around the nosecone on the 7?? The guy at the paint shop said they use some special plastic coated stuff which gives a razor sharp line and I assume stops the paint drying on top of it and flaking off when you remove the tape. I don't want to ask the guys at the paint shop again cos they've already done about a million favours for me! If anyone knows what this tape is/how to use it and where to get it from I'd be super gratefull! Cheers Oli.

If your not living life on the edge you're taking up too much room!

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
StevieB

posted on 20/9/06 at 02:20 PM Reply With Quote
Not sure what it's called, but I bet you'll get it from Halfrauds
David Jenkins

posted on 20/9/06 at 02:26 PM Reply With Quote
Any places near you that sell paint & supplies to spray shops?

They'll know exactly what you require, and charge you a fraction of the price at Halfrods (or bigger quantity at the same price, which I've experienced).

StevieB

posted on 20/9/06 at 02:36 PM Reply With Quote
I don't know about Halfords being expensive anymore - I just bought a set of discs for my sierra based car at £8 per corner inc VAT!
David Jenkins

posted on 20/9/06 at 02:39 PM Reply With Quote
They're unloading Sierra bits 'cos they don't want to stock them any more (allegedly).

oliwb

posted on 20/9/06 at 03:05 PM Reply With Quote
They charged me £35 per drum when I got new ones (and I only did 19 miles on them b4 changing for rear discs!)....anyone know of this mysterious masking tape??? Oli.

If your not living life on the edge you're taking up too much room!

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
skippad

posted on 20/9/06 at 04:24 PM Reply With Quote
The tape i use is a low tack red plastic tape by eurostar about £1.50 a roll, but i normally have to buy a box of 12!
"Scotch" do a "Fineline" masking tape which a lot of airbrush artists use as it bends round contours etc.
Try your local Brown Bros or similar motor factors.
Dave

StevieB

posted on 20/9/06 at 04:43 PM Reply With Quote
I've a mate who worked at the BMW bodyshop for years and he says bog standard masking tape from down the art shop is all you need. Anything else is a waste of money to cover in paint and throw in the bin.
nicksertis

posted on 20/9/06 at 04:43 PM Reply With Quote
I know it as fine-line tape, plastic stretchy blue tape that leaves a crisp line when you spray the masked area. Normally you can whip it off 30 seconds after spraying and it'll come away cleanly leaving a nice straight clean line.

I found some here http://www.starchem.co.uk/products/adhesive.htm but there's plenty if you search on google for "fine line tape"

Nick

Peteff

posted on 20/9/06 at 05:40 PM Reply With Quote
Ordinary masking tape doesn't bring the paint with it if you pull it off at an angle and don't leave it on too long. The thin stuff for pinstriping is usually plastic.
The price for drums sounds about right Ol, I was looking for a Capri one and it was £38.
edit:- You can get different types of masking tape from Duck, low tack ones and uv resistant etc.

[Edited on 20/9/06 by Peteff]

yours, Pete

I went into the RSPCA office the other day. It was so small you could hardly swing a cat in there.

Mark Allanson

posted on 20/9/06 at 07:22 PM Reply With Quote
3M fineline is the stuff, it is low tack so you can use it on frestly painted base, remove it and the clear over both colours. This gives a perfect transition between the colours whch cannot be felt even with your fingernail

If you can keep you head, whilst all others around you are losing theirs, you are not fully aware of the situation

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.