Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Complete Chassis
daKlone

posted on 20/9/06 at 07:02 PM Reply With Quote
Complete Chassis

I'm at that "shall I, shant I?" stage...shall I buy a chassis or build one?

If someone has got a good "wide" ( 46" ) chassis available for a decent price, I'd fall on the "shant" side. A McSorley +442 would be ideal.

I know I could buy one from Luego or GTS direct, but their prices are a little more than I'd like to pay.

Let me know if you've got one lying around, or if you know of one...

TIA,
dK

[Edited on 20/9/06 by daKlone]

dK

Winter is coming...

StevieB

posted on 20/9/06 at 07:10 PM Reply With Quote
Have a look at GTS Tunings website (www.gtstuning.co.uk)

They have a very good reputation and do a McSorely +4 chassis option. Prices are very reasonable too!

Not quite the same as building your own, but it depends on your skill and experience to date - personally, I can't weld and wouldn't trust myself to weld a chassis that I'm going to drive very fast around a track!

donut

posted on 20/9/06 at 07:22 PM Reply With Quote
quote:

Have a look at GTS Tunings website They have a very good reputation

hmmmm

Andy

When I die, I want to go peacefully like my Grandfather did, in his sleep -- not screaming, like the passengers in his car.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/andywest1/

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
graememk

posted on 20/9/06 at 07:26 PM Reply With Quote
personaly go for an mk , a well sorted chassis
graememk

posted on 20/9/06 at 07:36 PM Reply With Quote
the reason i didnt buy gts was due to all the complains that were floating around on here. however not so much in the last 6 months i must admit

why not look at the new mk chassis

Avoneer

posted on 20/9/06 at 07:43 PM Reply With Quote
If you are competent at welding and engineering and like sticky geometary, build your own.

It's very time consuming though and hard to get evrything right and remember everything.

I've bought one and made one. If I was doing another, I'd buy one.

As for which one to buy, see who's closest and cheapest as they are all based around the original design and all of them have good and bad points.

Pat...

No trees were killed in the sending of this message.
However a large number of electrons were terribly inconvenienced.

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
mistergrumpy

posted on 20/9/06 at 07:57 PM Reply With Quote
Building your own isn't so consuming. I've just about finished mine in less than 2 weeks, longs days. But to be honest and I know at least one other self builder who's said this to me, I'd buy one if I was to start again. About 500 quid and you can get cracking rather than worrying about tolerances, getting pissed off for cutting bits the wrong length and having to grind the welds down which is laborious and just annoys the neighbours to shite.

donut

posted on 20/9/06 at 07:58 PM Reply With Quote
quote:

help out lightweight owners like GTS are !!!

It's like the blind leading the blind

all in good humour and all that!!

Andy

When I die, I want to go peacefully like my Grandfather did, in his sleep -- not screaming, like the passengers in his car.

StevieB

posted on 20/9/06 at 08:33 PM Reply With Quote
It's always fun - as soon as someone uses this forum for what it's intended for (asking questions to get proper answers) to ask about which chassis, it breaks out into 'locost civil war'!

PS - MK's are the best cars, everything else sucks because it's not wehat I chose!

donut

posted on 20/9/06 at 08:36 PM Reply With Quote
I don't really care who's is best anymore, they all have there good points and bad points.

As long as customers are getting good service then that's all that matters.

Andy

StevieB

posted on 20/9/06 at 09:16 PM Reply With Quote
http://www.locostbuilders.co.uk/viewthread.php?tid=51884

That's a whole other issue and one that's very close to my heart!

coozer

posted on 20/9/06 at 09:35 PM Reply With Quote
MNR are leaning towards building locost chassis. Give them a bell.

1972 V8 Jago

1980 Z750

daKlone

posted on 20/9/06 at 09:55 PM Reply With Quote
Erm, thanks guys...I think!

So has anyone got a chassis going cheap or not?

mistergrumpy mentioned a £500 jobbie - I've not seen any for this price, more like £750 to £1000. Not exactly "locost"?

[Edited on 20/9/06 by daKlone]

dK

Winter is coming...

lexi

posted on 20/9/06 at 10:29 PM Reply With Quote
It does crop up often this matter of" I wouldn`t build a chassis again" I mean it`s a bit like doing the West Highland Way............Murder ..but don`t put everyone off it!
Building the chassis is part of the experience. It`s what makes these cars what they are.....Locosts. You will sharpen all your skills doing it which will enable you to tackle other stuff. Mmm...I`m sounding like Uncle Ron
Alex

donut

posted on 21/9/06 at 07:44 AM Reply With Quote
Chassis do pop up on ebay every now and then.

If you don't want to build your own chassis then GTS, MK, Luego, Stuart Taylor etc etc will be happy to sell you a chassis.

Andy

StevieB

posted on 21/9/06 at 07:52 AM Reply With Quote
Like I said before - if I had the equipment, exoperience and skills to do it well, I'd have given it a bash. As it is, I didn't have any of that.

I might give it a crack for the next one though, just so I can say I've done it!

donut

posted on 21/9/06 at 08:24 AM Reply With Quote
I fancy having a bash at 'doing it myself' but i have not got the patience. If i had a big double garage with loads of equipment then maybe i would.

Andy

StevieB

posted on 21/9/06 at 01:54 PM Reply With Quote
I forgot to mention the space thing. Wonder how the wife will take it when that kitchen extention turns out to be a larger garage next year!
scotty g

posted on 21/9/06 at 05:24 PM Reply With Quote
Your best bet is to keep an eye on ebay, in the last 2 weeks 2 have sold for about £250 and they both came with loads of bits as well.
daKlone

posted on 21/9/06 at 06:32 PM Reply With Quote
I have been monitoring the bay, but the only ones that come up are book chassis, no wide-boys

dK

Winter is coming...

mistergrumpy

posted on 21/9/06 at 07:41 PM Reply With Quote
The one I mentioned for £500 is Here I'd just been looking before looking back at the site again. Forgot you mentioned a wide one though. They do come up on E bay though. I'm sure I saw one earlier described as Locost but bigger. I'll have a plough through.
Must've gone earlier today. Think it was a Vindicator?

[Edited on 21/9/06 by mistergrumpy]

daKlone

posted on 22/9/06 at 07:26 AM Reply With Quote
Cheers - I did see the Ace Sportscars chassis and even mentioned it on here...it got a resounding "thumbs down" from pretty much everyone

I also saw the Vindicator chassis on the bay, but didn't really like the look of it - not 7 enough for me!

dK

Winter is coming...

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.