Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Anyone care to take a stab at Solidworks for me?
sgraber

posted on 22/9/06 at 01:15 AM Reply With Quote
Anyone care to take a stab at Solidworks for me?

I am good at 3DS but just a dabbler in Solidworks. I need to create something as a SW file that is out of my current capability. Is there anyone here that would be willing to help me by taking my sketches and making a solidworks file out of it for me? (Am I being a cheeky b@st@rd for asking this?)

(I have version 2006 of SW -de-reg'd- for the person willing to help. PM's only regarding this pls.)

Here are links to my sketches (and I think the main dimensions are there. I can explain in further detail if required.)

Click to view Front Sketch

Click to view Side Sketch

Steve Graber
http://www.grabercars.com/

"Quickness through lightness"

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
Kissy

posted on 22/9/06 at 05:59 AM Reply With Quote
that's one cheeky b**t**d!
However; I'd have thought there is an engineering student on here who could pick this up as part of a final year project if you are prepared to expand the remit. Just a thought. (also, does it have to be solidworks? It's not a big favourite in automotive, better of trying to use Catia)

flak monkey

posted on 22/9/06 at 06:53 AM Reply With Quote
Steve,

I would be willing to do it for you. It will be about a week before I send you the file though. Send me an email (davidjd69 [@] gmail.com) with some more info and I will have a look for you.

Cheers,
David

Sera

http://www.motosera.com

bigandy

posted on 22/9/06 at 04:33 PM Reply With Quote
I could knock that up in a short time this weekend if you need it doing quickly

I'll drop you a PM now

Cheers
Andy

bigandy

posted on 22/9/06 at 05:16 PM Reply With Quote
Job done

One thing that isn't on the drawing is the dimensions of the groove that is cut into each bore.

Also the material/finish etc, whether you need any draft angles or fillets (radii) putting on the sharp edges etc...

Cheers
Andy Rescued attachment mk1.JPG
Rescued attachment mk1.JPG

Dammit! Too many decisions....

bigandy

posted on 22/9/06 at 05:19 PM Reply With Quote
and the SW2006 part... (hopefully!)

Cheers
Andy

sgraber

posted on 22/9/06 at 05:29 PM Reply With Quote
HOLY SHIT ANDY!

I haven't even had time to check my u2u's yet and you've finished the part! (BTW I just read the U2U's and thanks so much guys, but it looks like Andy has done the deed.)

It's very, very close to what I need.

The material is aluminum (Don't know the proper type though), The groove is 1/16" deep.

The turn signal holes need more defining and as well there will be two tapped holes on the back side to attach to the bodywork.

Let me get back to you with U2U and we'll talk about all kinds of stuff.... LOL

Thanks Again guys, you are once again proving that this community is the MOST generous and helpful of any I have ever found.

Steve Graber
http://www.grabercars.com/

"Quickness through lightness"

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
bigandy

posted on 22/9/06 at 07:39 PM Reply With Quote
Glad I could help

Cheers!
Andy

tigris

posted on 23/9/06 at 12:02 AM Reply With Quote
big andy

how do you make a photo-realistic image such as the above pictured from a SW part? i am just delving into sw 2006. Any tipsor directions? Thanks
bigandy

posted on 23/9/06 at 08:39 AM Reply With Quote
Hello there!

The image I posted earlier is just a fairly basic render using PhotoWorks (A solidworks Addin that comes with some versions of SW). If you go to "Tools", then "Addins" and see if PhotoWorks is in the list you have. If it is, check the tickbox to activate it. You may need to enter your license/registration details to get it loaded.

This gives you a new menu in SW2006, cunningly called Photoworks. I produced the render I posted using PhotoWorks Studio, which is a really quick and basic way of getting a fairly basic render generated quickly. It's dead easy to use, just set the quality to high, and play around with the image brightness to get the result you want.

It helps if you set the SW part material property too. I set this part to "6061 Alloy" to get the shiny reflective silver appearance.

You can spend hours and hours playing with the render settings if you don't use PhotoWorks Studio, but for a quick look see, the method above works great. The Photoworks help file is pretty good, so if you want to know how to use it in more detail, you are probably best of giving that a read first

Cheers!
Andy

JamJah

posted on 23/9/06 at 09:26 AM Reply With Quote
Silly q,
Can you hot swap with Vectorworks as well? VW has a horrible renderer.

bigandy

posted on 24/9/06 at 10:08 AM Reply With Quote
I've never used Vectorworks before, so I'm not 100% certain. What file format can Vectorworks save 3D models/files in? If it is one that Solidworks can read in it would be a fairly simple job to import a model in, assign some materials to it, and get rendering using PhotoWorks..

Cheers
Andy

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.