Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Stripe Painting
oliwb

posted on 22/9/06 at 05:23 PM Reply With Quote
Stripe Painting

Anyonw know how to get a perfectly straight line when spraying paints on? I'm trying to paint a rim round the nosecone in spray paint on to gelcoat. I mask it off but anytime I pull the tape off it takes paint with it or leaves the line all wonky. not sure whether to leave it on longer or take it off quicker?! It takes 5-6 coats to get a decent colour so can't take it off between each one and re-apply! Cheers for any advice....Oli.

If your not living life on the edge you're taking up too much room!

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
NeilP

posted on 22/9/06 at 07:20 PM Reply With Quote
The standard (beige) masking tape is no good for really precise lines - Believe that body shops use a special plastic tape - If you've a paint spayers near you try and beg some off?...

If you pay peanuts...
Mentale, yar? Yar, mentale!
Drive it like you stole it!

rusty nuts

posted on 22/9/06 at 08:10 PM Reply With Quote
Do you mean pinstripping? what about using pinstrip tape as used by bodyshops? Check your local automotive paint suppliers, they normally have a selection .
k33ts

posted on 22/9/06 at 08:26 PM Reply With Quote
you need fine line tape. and it sounds like you need to etch the surface your spraying.

if it takes 5-6 coats your using the wrong paint!!

[Edited on 22/9/06 by k33ts]

tukcustoms.com

Chippy

posted on 22/9/06 at 11:22 PM Reply With Quote
Definately need to key GRP, either with a selfetch primer, or fine wet and dry. Plus well degrease prior to this, as when it comes from the mould, it has a wax residue still on it. Agree about the fine line tap, use that, and back up the remaining masked area with ordinary tape and paper. Hope that helps. Ray.
Hammerhead

posted on 23/9/06 at 09:47 AM Reply With Quote
you also need to consider using a razor blade break the seal between the paint and the tape. If you watch American Chopper or biker build off the painters who pinstripe the fuel tanks carefully slice with a razor blade.

mookaloid

posted on 23/9/06 at 10:19 AM Reply With Quote
How about using one of these?

Cheers

Mark

oliwb

posted on 23/9/06 at 07:20 PM Reply With Quote
Cheers guys. I couldn't get my hands on the special masking tape. I etched the surface using wet+dry paper so no probs there....I didn't use a razor blade though which probably would have helped......I've done my painting now really cheaply so I can get an idea of how it will look....once I make my mind up I'll remove the paint again and take it down to the local paint sprayers and get them to do it properly.....Cheers Oli.

If your not living life on the edge you're taking up too much room!

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.