Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: another DIY question - Rain Diverter kit
Jumpy Guy

posted on 23/9/06 at 05:44 PM Reply With Quote
another DIY question - Rain Diverter kit

Today is DIY day, so that tomorrow is car day!!

so... we have a water butt that i wanted to fill from the house gutter. Bought a rain diverter kit which suggests cutting 30mm out of the downpipe, then putting in the rain diverter with a hose to the butt.

all well and good, but the rain diverter itself is about 120 mm, so i assume that most people cut the 30 mm section out, then push the lower part of the pipe down to allow the diverter in. then pull up the lower part of the pipe until it fits into the underside of the diverter..

one problem- the lower part of the downpipe is concreted in, so i cant move it...

anyone else fitted one? am i missing summat? ( very likely....)

scotty g

posted on 23/9/06 at 06:00 PM Reply With Quote
I seem to recall that you can get a collar type connection where you drill a hole in the downpipe then wrap a collar connection round where the hole is and clamp it in place, it has a female fitting to push the pipe for the water butt into and an inset that goes into the downpipe a small way to catch the water, just can't remember its actual name though.
Jumpy Guy

posted on 23/9/06 at 06:18 PM Reply With Quote
that sounds ideal. anyone else know what its called?

cant seem to find this 'collar type' on the web..

Peteff

posted on 23/9/06 at 06:44 PM Reply With Quote
If you undo the clips above the diverter then push it upwards onto the end of the pipe it only needs to lift high enough to slot into the lower section. The one I had did anyway. Make sure you have your water butt in it's final place before you cut so you can get the level

[Edited on 23/9/06 by Peteff]

yours, Pete

I went into the RSPCA office the other day. It was so small you could hardly swing a cat in there.

StevieB

posted on 23/9/06 at 07:23 PM Reply With Quote
You can get the collars from B&Q - they have to suit all sizes of pipe and are really easy to fit.

Just remember to drill the hole before fitting the collar and plumbing everything in - we spent ages wondering why there was water pooling in our dishwasher until Realised I'd done everything right apart from forgeting to tap a hole into the waste pipe under the sink!

Just

posted on 23/9/06 at 08:51 PM Reply With Quote
With mine, I undid all the wall brackets and that allowed enough flex on the downpipe to pull it away from the wall, far enough to get the diverter in.

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.