Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Replacing wheel studs - how?
Chris.B

posted on 24/9/06 at 02:54 PM Reply With Quote
Replacing wheel studs - how?

As per the title - I want to replace the front wheel studs with some 15mm longer. I've got westfield alloy hubs. How do you go about replacing studs?
Cheers
Chris

oliwb

posted on 24/9/06 at 03:06 PM Reply With Quote
I think if there Sierra ones you get a massive no. 1 tool and beat the hell out of them...think they're just a splined interference fit....Oli.

If your not living life on the edge you're taking up too much room!

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
RazMan

posted on 24/9/06 at 03:20 PM Reply With Quote
My donor Sierra studs came out with a swift (and large) hammer while supporting the hub in a vice. They are interference fit splines and often take a bit of grunt to shift.

Cheers,
Raz

When thinking outside the box doesn't work any more, it's time to build a new box

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
emsfactory

posted on 24/9/06 at 03:29 PM Reply With Quote
I pressed mine out. You can also use a vice. Put a socket on the head side of the stud so the stud can move into it.
Pdlewis

posted on 24/9/06 at 03:34 PM Reply With Quote
I did mine while on the car bit of WD40 and a big hammer!!
roadboy

posted on 24/9/06 at 04:53 PM Reply With Quote
Knock the old ones out with a big hammer & pull in the new ones with nuts fitted with spacer washers & lubricant
Chers
ian

Jude Performance Services

Danozeman

posted on 24/9/06 at 08:39 PM Reply With Quote
Knock em out with a hammer and pull the new ones in with an old wheel nut and some washers.

Or the best way is to press them out and press the new ones in...

Dan

Built the purple peril!! Let the modifications begin!!

http://www.eastangliankitcars.co.uk

big_wasa

posted on 24/9/06 at 09:17 PM Reply With Quote
Beter than the big hammer is a Ball joint splitter. They just push out with no damage.
02GF74

posted on 26/9/06 at 12:35 PM Reply With Quote
I wouldn't recommend using a vice to press thjem in as they may not go in square meaning you may not be able to get the wheel on (don't ask I how I know that) ... but if you can get a wheel on, use the wheel nuts to pull them trhough - it will straighten them out too,
Marcus

posted on 26/9/06 at 02:13 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by 02GF74
I wouldn't recommend using a vice to press thjem in as they may not go in square meaning you may not be able to get the wheel on (don't ask I how I know that) ... but if you can get a wheel on, use the wheel nuts to pull them trhough - it will straighten them out too,

BUT use a steel wheel!!

Marcus

Because kits are for girls!!

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.