Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Reply
Author: Subject: Good books on chassis design and construction
wedgehunter

posted on 24/9/06 at 04:53 PM Reply With Quote
Good books on chassis design and construction

Howdo all, I registered sometime ago, but Ive forgotten my username and password

Anyway Im looking to study some chassis design and construction so that one day I might be able to build my own plaything (probably a hillclimber) or even gain emplyoment in engineering hahahaha

Anyway Im looking for recommendations on good reading material that is relevant to this topic...any got any good ideas?? I know someone must have

JB
Senior Builder

Posts 436
Registered 20/5/04

Photo Archive Go!
Building: Built: V8 Kitten, 2 litre Lada, Space frame Minor,

posted on 24/9/06 at 07:19 PM Reply With Quote
Reading and Learning

This is the best book I have found specifically on the subject, Race Car Chassis: Design and Construction by Forbes Aird. But I do not think one good book exists.

I learnt a lot by looking at chassis`s on cars. The web is quite good. have a look at HERE

The main thing to remember with chassis design and one that is very hard to do and most people ignore, is that all major loads (suspension, steering, engine and diff) should NOT go into an unsupported memember. The should go into a junction of at least 3 tubes.

If you want to work in motorsport read, understand and remember everything you can that is written by Carroll Smith and you will have a good advantage.

John

kb58

posted on 24/9/06 at 08:13 PM Reply With Quote
And I'll add
my own list.

Mid-engine Locost - http://www.midlana.com
And the book - http://www.lulu.com/shop/kurt-bilinski/midlana/paperback/product-21330662.html
Kimini - a tube-frame, carbon shell, Honda Prelude VTEC mid-engine Mini: http://www.kimini.com
And its book - http://www.lulu.com/shop/kurt-bilinski/kimini-how-to-design-and-build-a-mid-engine-sports-car-from-scratch/paperback/product-4858803.html

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
clockwork

posted on 25/9/06 at 08:40 AM Reply With Quote
Anything by Carrol Smith.
There are three Tomes, all of which are worth their weight in gold.
Prepare to win.
Tune to win.
Engineer to win.
Be warned they are old, and he also has a fetish for aerospace parts, but not only are the books accessible, the information comes from some-one has done it at top level.
Also, his work doesn't put you off when you've finished.

Peteff

posted on 25/9/06 at 10:27 AM Reply With Quote
Location yorkshire/france

Geography isn't one of my strong subjects but that doesn't sound right Basic Locosts are used in hillclimbing and track racing, have you read the original book. Running before you can walk is springing to mind. I'll sell you my copy of the second edition Locost book for
£10 The race car chassis book by Forbes Aird is £128

yours, Pete

I went into the RSPCA office the other day. It was so small you could hardly swing a cat in there.

C10CoryM

posted on 25/9/06 at 03:49 PM Reply With Quote
I would suggest picking up:

"Chassis Engineering" By Herb Adams and "Race Car Chassis Design and Construction" by Forbes Aird.

These are the two best beginner books I have found. If you cannot read, understand, and enjoy these...... find another hobby . Those will give you the basics of chassis engineering.

After that I would recommend forgetting about cars and learning about material selection (specifically tubular metals and carbon fibre). This allows you to calculate the loads, and design something just strong enough to work. Once you have decided where everything should sit in the car connecting the dots with triangulated tubes is easy. Using the lightest possible materials to meet your goals is where the skill/engineering comes in to play and is where a good chassis comes from.

As the saying goes "Anyone can build something that works, it takes an engineer to build something that barely works".

Cheers

"Our watchword evermore shall be: The Maple Leaf Forever!"

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
wedgehunter

posted on 25/9/06 at 05:10 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Peteff
Geography isn't one of my strong subjects but that doesn't sound right Basic Locosts are used in hillclimbing and track racing, have you read the original book. Running before you can walk is springing to mind. I'll sell you my copy of the second edition Locost book for
£10 The race car chassis book by Forbes Aird is £128

yorkshire at the moment, moving outto france soon

thanks fellas

JB
Senior Builder

Posts 436
Registered 20/5/04

Photo Archive Go!
Building: Built: V8 Kitten, 2 litre Lada, Space frame Minor,

posted on 25/9/06 at 05:10 PM Reply With Quote
Calculating Strengths

Calculating strengths is good, if you know the loads that a component or part will see.

I have never calculated the strength of any part. I look to see what works and copy that put pay attention to reducing stress raisers.

John

BlackSheep

posted on 27/9/06 at 07:39 AM Reply With Quote
I totally agree with C10CoryM.

I found this site when looking up information on how to build your own car. Through Steve Graber's site (grabercars.com) I found this site. After peeping for a while I actually bought THE book and the "Chassis Engineering" and "Race Car Chassis Design and Construction" books. This site and those books actually made me decide to go back to school part-time and study mechanical engineering.

So be careful you don't catch the locost bug

New Topic New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.