Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Headlights
flak monkey

posted on 2/10/06 at 08:31 PM Reply With Quote
Headlights

Can anyone recommend a set of 5.75" headlights, that are SVA ok? I need a set for my car and am trying to get some bits while i am away at uni so i can fit them when i get back../

Are the Saturnus ones that Premier Wiring sell SVA ok?

Cheers,
David

Sera

http://www.motosera.com

Hellfire

posted on 2/10/06 at 08:44 PM Reply With Quote
I would recomend SVC for the headlights. Superb quality, SVA compliant and very good service. You can buy headlights cheaper but you won't get better value for money from anyone else IMO.

SVC Here

Phil

StevieB

posted on 3/10/06 at 08:20 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Hellfire
I would recomend SVC for the headlights. Superb quality, SVA compliant and very good service. You can buy headlights cheaper but you won't get better value for money from anyone else IMO.

SVC Here

Phil

I find that their prices are a bit high for headlights though - and if you want black headlights, you can only get the CF lookalike ones from SVC, which are ridiculously expensive!

iank

posted on 3/10/06 at 08:25 AM Reply With Quote
Not true, they do plain black ones as well - I've got some

AS1267 5.75" FREE STANDING CHROME OR BLACK BODY (also spot light)
Chrome on brass
Halogen with or without side light

£110 pair + £7 P&P

The reason you pay more for the SVC lights is they are spun brass rather than steel, so they tend to be lights for life unless you crash.

StevieB

posted on 3/10/06 at 08:30 AM Reply With Quote
I stand corrected then

They don't show those lights on their website (that I can find anyway, before someone posts a link to the page I haven't found!)

iank

posted on 3/10/06 at 08:33 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by StevieB
I stand corrected then

They don't show those lights on their website (that I can find anyway, before someone posts a link to the page I haven't found!)

The picture is the chrome one, granted, but the text I pasted came stright off their headlight page
Personally I went to a show to buy lights (not that this is a good time of year) since the quality seems to vary wildly.

StevieB

posted on 3/10/06 at 08:41 AM Reply With Quote
The problem I have is that my mind is torn in several directions:

I want a good quality car when it's finished, but at the same time, financial constraints are holding me back, and I need the car finishing and SVA'd by Spring.

Do I pay the extra £50 for quality headlights now, or buy cheap stuff that might be okk for a year or so then upgrade later?

I'm also struggling with rear lights - I like the crystalights on SVC, but I don't want CF effect surrounds (they might be easy to paint matt black though)

iank

posted on 3/10/06 at 08:56 AM Reply With Quote
Whatever you decide make sure the supplier is prepared to take them back if they aren't SVA compliant.

On the subject of rear lights what about landrover rear lights, IIRC you can get them with black surrounds and they look quite good IMO.

StevieB

posted on 3/10/06 at 09:05 AM Reply With Quote
I saw some on Ebay, but the were North American approved or something - wasn't sure what that meant about their use in this country (can't imagine it'd be too different though)

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Kit-car-8-Lights-Fly-Leads-Westfield-locost-caterham_W0QQitemZ290034607552QQihZ019QQcategoryZ100921QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

Obviously I don't need this many lights, and I think the guy sells them individually at a reasonable price (but only reasonable if they're SVA compliant)

iank

posted on 3/10/06 at 09:34 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by StevieB
I saw some on Ebay, but the were North American approved or something - wasn't sure what that meant about their use in this country (can't imagine it'd be too different though)

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Kit-car-8-Lights-Fly-Leads-Westfield-locost-caterham_W0QQitemZ290034607552QQihZ019QQcategoryZ100921QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

Obviously I don't need this many lights, and I think the guy sells them individually at a reasonable price (but only reasonable if they're SVA compliant)

If they are e marked I doubt you will have a problem unless they are hopelessly dim.

"No bulbs are included due to health and safety issues." ???

StevieB

posted on 3/10/06 at 09:41 AM Reply With Quote
Well, www.maxparts.biz sell the same thing for a little more money, but I think they come with bulbs and connectors etc.

By the time you add it all up from the ebay guy, 2 indicators, 2 stop/tail lamps and a fog light with bases and connectors + P&P works out just shy of £85 (that's before buying bulbs!). Maybe I'll look elsewhere!

Marcus

posted on 3/10/06 at 09:52 AM Reply With Quote
Check out Rinder lights, they were available from Premier wiring. I have a spare pair needing bulbs - not sure wether they're LHD though. I bought some from SVC - so do Westfield and Caterham, so they can't be too bad.
After the shocks, these were the most expensive parts on my car, but they have a superb beam pattern - far better than my tintop!

Marcus

Because kits are for girls!!

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
Just

posted on 3/10/06 at 12:07 PM Reply With Quote
Also remember that SVC can do Xenon bulbs for a few quid more on any of their headlights now.
Steve @ sVc

posted on 3/10/06 at 12:07 PM Reply With Quote
Thanks for the comments about our headlights guys.
When I started here we decided that we would not use steel for the bodies and rims due to corrosion problems - so we re-tooled and went to brass. The chromed ones are copper - nickel - chrome plated, so will last !
Yes, they are expensive, I know, compaired to others, but I do believe they are the best, and they are a very visable part of your car.
When working on my cars I generally go for the "fit it once and forget it" approach!
All the lenses fitted are to UK spec. (unless RH dipping is specified), and we offer the Xenon/Halogen upgrade when requested for £10 extra giving 50% more light, according to the bulb suppliers (and as fitted to my cars and even the SVC van). All "E" marked as you would expect.

The Wipac 95 mm lights look ok, but be aware that they do not supply rear fog or reverse lights with the right angle connetor to avoid the fuel tank, and you will need and angled housing to get the lenses vertical for SVA.

Best wishes
Steve @ sVc

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
flak monkey

posted on 12/10/06 at 01:00 PM Reply With Quote
I decided to go with the SVC lights in the end. They arrived yesterday, and I must say that I am impressed!

Hellfires recommendation was spot on. They look the biz and are very well made. Not only that but the speed of delivery and communication from Steve was excellent.

Highly recommended!

David Rescued attachment headlights and high level brake light.jpg
Rescued attachment headlights and high level brake light.jpg

Sera

http://www.motosera.com

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.