Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: windscreen question
punker

posted on 27/5/03 at 11:55 AM Reply With Quote
windscreen question

i know i'm not at the windscreen point yet but just doing a bit of forward planning;

i'm thinking of not having a windscreen and having a small aero screen (like the zr100) cuz you dont need wipers and demist, what i want to know is how bad is it driving with no windscreen, does the aeroscreen provide enough deflection of air not to need a helmet?

also were do you stand if you get your car SVA'ed without a windscreen (with aeroscreen) and then change ya mind do you have to SVA it again?? if not surely it would be easier to get past the SVA that way????

David Jenkins

posted on 27/5/03 at 12:06 PM Reply With Quote
Driving without a screen has good points & bad points

Good:

You don't get the bad turbulence that you get from a flat screen (without sidescreens). Instead you get a smooth flow of air past your head.

You don't have to worry about wipers & washers.

Bad:

You will certainly need eye protection. You should also consider ear protection, even if it's just expanding plugs. Depending on the size of the aeroscreen, you may want face protection - insects can hurt quite a bit, stones thrown up by cars can hurt a lot!

I'll be using a helmet, but that's mainly because I'm not fitting an aeroscreen initially. I'll review the situation once I get the screens.

David

P.S. You don't have to go back for another SVA if you subsequently fit a windscreen (but I wouldn't be too surprised if they cover that loophole at a later date).

Mark H

posted on 27/5/03 at 12:58 PM Reply With Quote
Punker,

quote:

does the aeroscreen provide enough deflection of air not to need a helmet?

To answer one of your questions exactly (all the rest David has answered, and is all true!):

No they do not seem to deflect enough air. Mine is just a flat perspex screen, but the air hits me halfway up my helmet (the one on my head!). I can't see, hear or breathe without it.

I would get the SVA without a full screen, then see how it goes.

My 2p.

Mark

Mark Harrison and
Q986 KCP back from the dead...

punker

posted on 27/5/03 at 01:35 PM Reply With Quote
thanks..i'll go for the aeroscreen to start with and use a helmet (the one on my head) if necessary.
gjn200

posted on 27/5/03 at 04:17 PM Reply With Quote
When i had my test drive in the avon, I could hardly breath with the full screen at 70 ish, so I am going no screen and helmet (maybe I should say test passenger" )

[Edited on 27/5/03 by gjn200]

<- Me!

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.