Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Small battery
snapper

posted on 27/10/06 at 06:22 PM Reply With Quote
Small battery

What sort of amp hour battery do i need to turn over a bike carbed 2.1 pinto, currently 9.7 to 1 comp but will be 10.7 to one in the near future. I want a small one but not so small to be useless.
givemethebighammer

posted on 27/10/06 at 08:20 PM Reply With Quote
A fiat cinquecento starts my 2.0L zetec on bike carbs without any problems. I bought a "calcium type" battery because they were supposed to be better. Other option is a very small racing battery from the likes of odyssey or varley.

[Edited on 27/10/06 by givemethebighammer]

nitram38

posted on 27/10/06 at 08:22 PM Reply With Quote
I have a Red Top 25 battery that turns over a 1.4 k series. It is rated at 680 amps cranking. The original rover battery has only 380 amps.

[Edited on 27/10/2006 by nitram38]

RazMan

posted on 27/10/06 at 09:54 PM Reply With Quote
My ickle Odyssey can start a Chevvy engine! Rescued attachment Odyssey Battery.jpg
Rescued attachment Odyssey Battery.jpg

Cheers,
Raz

When thinking outside the box doesn't work any more, it's time to build a new box

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
stevebubs

posted on 27/10/06 at 10:07 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by RazMan
My ickle Odyssey can start a Chevvy engine!

And I've one of the same starting my zetec. Does so first turn of the key, every time.

dave r

posted on 28/10/06 at 06:14 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by RazMan
My ickle Odyssey can start a Chevvy engine!

so how much is something like that ?

RazMan

posted on 28/10/06 at 07:57 AM Reply With Quote
I forget where I bought it now (about a year ago) but the smaller ones in the range are plenty big enough for your application - I will find a link ....

Here you go -
Redtops

Odyssey

I was sceptical about these tiny batteries until I started using them - my PC680 is used in the Ultima and easily turns over the biggest V8. It certainly has no trouble with my V6
Completely sealed, you can mount them any way up you want to! Best battery I ever bought

[Edited on 28-10-06 by RazMan]

Cheers,
Raz

When thinking outside the box doesn't work any more, it's time to build a new box

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
iank

posted on 28/10/06 at 09:29 AM Reply With Quote
Try MNR, they have them listed on their website but no prices. Think they have a direct (family) relationship with the distributor.
caber

posted on 28/10/06 at 12:14 PM Reply With Quote
These must be similar to the batteries in the portable jump start boxes. My cheap one managed to start my rangie for several days last winter and was recharged by the cigarette lighter as I had lost the mains charger. Maybe locost solution is to use one of these, you can then unplug and take away as an additional security measure! These turn up for around £20 in Makro, lidl, Aldi etc.

Caber

flak monkey

posted on 29/10/06 at 09:58 PM Reply With Quote
So would a red top 20 be up to the job on a pinto then?

I am also after a battery for mine. And for the extra it will cost to fit a decent one i might as well....

David

Sera

http://www.motosera.com

RazMan

posted on 29/10/06 at 10:04 PM Reply With Quote
You could probably start two Pintos at the same time with a Redtop 20

Cheers,
Raz

JoelP

posted on 29/10/06 at 10:24 PM Reply With Quote
there are no prices on the dms site that i can see, how much are the red top 8s?
02GF74

posted on 29/10/06 at 10:46 PM Reply With Quote
take a look at the odyssey batteries on here; seems like a good price to me but then what do I know?

not sure if it includes VAT and not been able to find post/apcking.

[Edited on 29/10/06 by 02GF74]

MikeRJ

posted on 29/10/06 at 11:04 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by caber
These must be similar to the batteries in the portable jump start boxes.

No, those are gel batteries like the types used for backup in house burglar alarms and computer UPS systems. They are only rated at 17-18Ah, and to be honest using them to jump start cars is totaly abusing them, though they seem to last reasonably well (my first died after a year but replacement still ok). They have very specific charging requirements, an alternator would kill them very quickly.

02GF74

posted on 3/11/06 at 09:08 AM Reply With Quote
MikeRJ - you are correct about the Gel batteries. Google, my trusty littel friend, tells me there is a new type of Gel Battery, so if your cheapo jumpstarting box has one, you are laughing

quote:
AGM, or Absorbed Glass Mat Batteries
A newer type of sealed battery uses "Absorbed Glass Mats", or AGM between the plates. This is a very fine fiber Boron-Silicate glass mat. These type of batteries have all the advantages of gelled, but can take much more abuse. We sell the Concorde (and Lifeline, made by Concorde) AGM batteries. These are also called "starved electrolyte", as the mat is about 95% saturated rather than fully soaked. That also means that they will not leak acid even if broken.

AGM batteries have several advantages over both gelled and flooded, at about the same cost as gelled:
Since all the electrolyte (acid) is contained in the glass mats, they cannot spill, even if broken. This also means that since they are non-hazardous, the shipping costs are lower. In addition, since there is no liquid to freeze and expand, they are practically immune from freezing damage.

Nearly all AGM batteries are "recombinant" - what that means is that the Oxygen and Hydrogen recombine INSIDE the battery. These use gas phase transfer of oxygen to the negative plates to recombine them back into water while charging and prevent the loss of water through electrolysis. The recombining is typically 99+% efficient, so almost no water is lost.

The charging voltages are the same as for any standard battery - no need for any special adjustments or problems with incompatible chargers or charge controls. And, since the internal resistance is extremely low, there is almost no heating of the battery even under heavy charge and discharge currents. The Concorde (and most AGM) batteries have no charge or discharge current limits.

Syd Bridge

posted on 3/11/06 at 09:34 AM Reply With Quote
The AGM stuff has been around for years. They use them in the electrokarts in Europe. They withstand a lot of abuse. Recharge at some horrifically high amperage in 20 mins. Swedish made, but the name has left my brain.

The plates are wound like a 'jam roll'. Very compact for their capacity.

Cheers,
Syd.

procomp

posted on 3/11/06 at 09:44 AM Reply With Quote
hi the redtop race ones need a trickel charger and are scrap after one full discharge they never fully recover.

The oddesey ones dont require a trickel charger and recover from full discharge really well both weigh simallar and are sealed type so can be mounted lying down or stood up. Best price for the oddesey ones is the uk importers who are powervamp a quick google should find them i think last time i heard a pc625 which is the one to have was £65 to the door.

cheers matt

NS Dev

posted on 3/11/06 at 09:53 AM Reply With Quote
yep that sounds about right Matt

Retro RWD is the way forward...........automotive fabrication, car restoration, sheetmetal work, engine conversion retro car restoration and tuning

Robster

posted on 3/11/06 at 02:11 PM Reply With Quote
Hi Matt,

I'm after an Odyssey for my locost - the only powervamp I can find are powervamp.com who seem to be manufacturers rather than importers... is this the right company?

Cheers, Rob.

procomp

posted on 3/11/06 at 02:36 PM Reply With Quote
Hi well aint that strange as that is the same powervamp i have had a few of previously. However it seems that the hawker-oddesy.co.uk site says that active-robot.com are the supliers in the uk now so i guess they have had a reshuffle of who supplies what.

Ps it lists the PC625 as fittment to a kwaka jet ski or sedoo and the price next day delivery is now ( crap cant remember exact ) but it was £85 ish wich is a bit steep. Did some one say that MNR had some dealings whith them maybe try them for a price.

cheers matt

Syd Bridge

posted on 3/11/06 at 06:55 PM Reply With Quote
Remembered those batteries......
------------------------------------------------------
Optima Batteries

Demand more from your vehicle? Then get more from your battery. OPTIMA batteries are made for the extremes. If you have an extreme vehicle, you expect high performance. Whether your vehicle is made to take the abuse of off-road driving or cranking out decibels, you need more from your battery. OPTIMA batteries with patented SPIRALCELL® Technology deliver that performance. The extreme cranking power and deep cycle characteristic of this technology coupled with its extreme resistance to vibration provides performance vehicles with the repetitive power they need in a spill-proof package.
------------------------------------------------------
These are excellent value, not particularly light or small, but extremely good.

Although, some of you will say they are not suitable for cars, as they are 'deep cycle'.

I know that they do some very small versions of these, but can't find them.

Cheers,
Syd.

[Edited on 3/11/06 by Syd Bridge]

[Edited on 3/11/06 by Syd Bridge]

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.