Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: MS on Ebay - opinions ?
DaveFJ

posted on 9/11/06 at 01:34 PM Reply With Quote
MS on Ebay - opinions ?

Just seen this advert on Ebay

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem& item=170047812206&fromMakeTrack=true

obviously don't know how high the auction will go yet but, does anyone know who these guys are? is it worth buying from them ?

(My soldering skill are very poor so would need to get someone to build it for me anyway...)

cheers

Dave

"In Support of Help the Heroes" - Always

Confused but excited.

posted on 9/11/06 at 01:41 PM Reply With Quote
It may be an unfounded concern, but their lack of a geographical number ( back up is a mobile number) makes me wonder how legit this is.
If you wanted to make money (they are registered with ebay as a business) would you buy these in at £100 + and then hope to make a profit by auctioning them off?

[Edited on 9/11/06 by Confused but excited.]

Tell them about the bent treacle edges!

mookaloid

posted on 9/11/06 at 02:45 PM Reply With Quote
Anything to do with this thread?

here

Mark

[Edited on 9/11/06 by mookaloid]

"That thing you're thinking - it wont be that."

DaveFJ

posted on 9/11/06 at 02:52 PM Reply With Quote
That looks like them - deffinately one to avoid then!

Dave

"In Support of Help the Heroes" - Always

mookaloid

posted on 9/11/06 at 02:54 PM Reply With Quote
If it is these guys:

http://www.mtechautomotive.co.uk/

I have spoken with them on the phone and wasn't convinced. Also they haven't answered any of my emails.

Cheers

Mark

"That thing you're thinking - it wont be that."

hearbear

posted on 9/11/06 at 03:48 PM Reply With Quote
If you go to their web site they are not taking any new orders! They may be trying to get rid of stock before disappearing

3.9Ltr SSC Stylus should be fun

ch1ll1

posted on 9/11/06 at 06:13 PM Reply With Quote
sounds like the same to me,

JohnN

posted on 9/11/06 at 06:38 PM Reply With Quote
I'm sure they used to sell on ebay a while back, under a similar, but shorter name
scotmac

posted on 9/11/06 at 07:10 PM Reply With Quote
Right, as the other thread says, they used to be mtechuk on ebay, then got suspended, so the new id is now "mtechautomotiveltd" w/ *zero* feedback!! I would avoid.

Besides, that is simply a MegaSquirt ECU, which can be got for around $100, that they were trying to sell for 265gbp's on their website.

[Edited on 9/11/06 by scotmac]

omega 24 v6

posted on 9/11/06 at 08:56 PM Reply With Quote
From the ebay page it reads-
quote:

Wiring is straightforward with the included wiring diagram, and tuning is never easier with the easy to use ‘MegaTune’ software. The full tuning guide can be found here: http://www.megasquirt.info/v22manual/mtune.htm, and it is guaranteed to have you up and running within a few hours! Simply by driving up and down the street! The map you create will be almost perfect, but if you are running serious applications then take it to a reputable rolling road and they can fine tune it for you. We can also provide you with a rough base map if provide us a reasonable estimate of your max BHP and Torque figures. We can set this system up before dispatch to almost any engine/setup. You can use either throttle bodies or standard EFi equipment, or even run carbs using the 3D ignition curve to manage just your ignition.

Well bugger me with the rough end of a brush shaft I didn't realize it would be that easy to get it running perfect. It's spoiled my fun cause I thought it'd take me at least a week to do it

I've not had dealings with this crowd but as usual the advice on here would be much more accurate than the advert quote above

If it looks wrong it probably is wrong.

Mal

posted on 9/11/06 at 10:39 PM Reply With Quote
Alternative MS Supplier

From personal experience I can recommend Phil Ringwood, who is in Norwich and runs this MS site:

http://www.extraefi.co.uk.

He supplies built units. With his partner, James Murray, they have developed the software for the Extra version. This does not require the use of an EDIS unit for the spark and has other useful features.

His backup in answering email questions is
quick, informative and patient.

I'm not related, just a satisfied customer.

whittlebeast

posted on 10/11/06 at 11:50 AM Reply With Quote
I personaly know Phil. Great guy. If you are not strong at electronics and need a built unit stick with the guys that hang on the www.msefi.com amd msextra.com sites (not the cheep ebay guys) Jerry at DIY and Phil at extraefi are both good

AW

[Edited on 10/11/06 by whittlebeast]

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
wilkingj

posted on 10/11/06 at 05:42 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by whittlebeast
I personaly know Phil. Great guy. If you are not strong at electronics and need a built unit stick with the guys that hang on the www.msefi.com amd msextra.com sites (not the cheep ebay guys) Jerry at DIY and Phil at extraefi are both good

I have spoken with phil.. He is very good... but I wanted a kit, and he only sells built units.

Still a nice experience, and helpful guy.

No connection at all..

1. The point of a journey is not to arrive.
2. Never take life seriously. Nobody gets out alive anyway.

Best Regards
Geoff
http://www.v8viento.co.uk

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
wilkingj

posted on 2/12/06 at 08:58 AM Reply With Quote
Interestingly I have been watching all the sales from mtechautomotiveltd so far they have sold 4 Megasquirts on Ebay in the last few weeks, that I know of.
All have fetched in excess of £250. (not much excess though).

The interesting part, is there are only 3 feedbacks shown against the user ID, and these are 3 purchases for some cardboard boxes, some bubble wrap, and a temperature controlled soldering Iron.
All these have bothway feedback.

There is NO feedback from either party for the Megasquirts "sold" on Ebay, ie the ones I have been monitoring.

Whilst this is not conclusive, its seems a bit on the odd side. I would have expected some from the seller when they got the money, and some from the buyer when they received the goods. Over the past few weeks there has been nothing despite several sales being made.

Whilst it could be perfectly innocent, it doesn't seem to fit the pattern of normal Ebay sales. I would have expected something to have been posted by one of the parties.

1. The point of a journey is not to arrive.
2. Never take life seriously. Nobody gets out alive anyway.

Best Regards
Geoff
http://www.v8viento.co.uk

ZetecVan

posted on 2/12/06 at 06:06 PM Reply With Quote
I bought my first megasquirt off them. They claimed to have sent it to me three times but it never arrived. In the end I drove down to Loughborough uni to pick it up. (around 200 mile round trip) The guy (Matt) is/was a student and he'd set up in business with his friend. I think they are ligitimately building and selling them, it's just their aftersales service and perhaps slow build times which are causing the problems. Personally there are better MS suppliers, and I'd go with one of those.

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.