Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: whats going to be the next donor?
zxrlocost

posted on 15/11/06 at 01:46 PM Reply With Quote
whats going to be the next donor?

hi
as above surely all the fords are running out?

ta chris

PLEASE NOTE: This user is a trader who has not signed up for the LocostBuilders registration scheme. If this post is advertising a commercial product or service, please report it by clicking here.

mike smith1

posted on 15/11/06 at 01:47 PM Reply With Quote
IIRC this was discussed a couple of weeks ago and i think the favourite was the MX-5, plenty of BMW's around yet though just not so locost!

Mike

3GEComponents

posted on 15/11/06 at 01:48 PM Reply With Quote
MX5
JackNco

posted on 15/11/06 at 01:50 PM Reply With Quote
tiger and Westfield already have mx-5 in the works. apparently in Oz lexus and toyots are the favorite.

I Personally dont think theres enough Mazda's out there.... i guess at some point the kit car companies are gonna have to get together n start having replica sierra parts made in bulk in china and sent over.

John

Some people are worried about the difference between right and wrong. I'm worried about the difference between wrong and fun.
O'Rourke, P.J. (1989), Holidays in hell. London (Picador)

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
ch1ll1

posted on 15/11/06 at 01:51 PM Reply With Quote
mx5 i think,

what about porsche gt3
and make it mid engined

[Edited on 15/11/06 by ch1ll1]

zxrlocost

posted on 15/11/06 at 01:57 PM Reply With Quote
are they rear wheel drived then(mx5) ive never really noted
PLEASE NOTE: This user is a trader who has not signed up for the LocostBuilders registration scheme. If this post is advertising a commercial product or service, please report it by clicking here.

iank

posted on 15/11/06 at 02:02 PM Reply With Quote
I doubt there are enough MX5's in this country for all the companies to switch sucessfully, certainly not in the long term.

I'd suspect it will be a Ford (for historical reasons) FWD moved to the back in a mid format.

So Mondeo, Focus or Fiesta.

BMWs are cheap for the donors but I suspect parts are expensive (never had one).

JackNco

posted on 15/11/06 at 02:06 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by zxrlocost
are they rear wheel drived then(mx5) ive never really noted

They are indeed. plus tuning parts are everywhere for them

Some people are worried about the difference between right and wrong. I'm worried about the difference between wrong and fun.

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
JackNco

posted on 15/11/06 at 02:09 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by iank
I doubt there are enough MX5's in this country for all the companies to switch sucessfully, certainly not in the long term.

Its not just the quantity out there. they are still popular cars anyway. Westfield said they were paying about 1200 for each donor. as they run out the price will rocket. especially for one in good nick.

Guess thats a good tip if you want a car you can run for a year and not see it depreciate

JackNco

posted on 15/11/06 at 02:10 PM Reply With Quote
guess when it comes down to it we are just gonna see alot more mid/rear engined cars about

scottc

posted on 15/11/06 at 03:51 PM Reply With Quote
Porsche 924
akumabito

posted on 15/11/06 at 03:52 PM Reply With Quote
Or BMW / Mercedes powered monstrosities...
TimC

posted on 15/11/06 at 03:53 PM Reply With Quote
I personally think the days of the Dutton are numbered - I reckon people will start breaking old kits to make new.

My tongue is only partially in my cheek by the way.

Aside from that. I think bespoke parts (uprights in particular) will become much more popular. The drivetrain is less simple to sort.

I read in Kit Car (MNR article was the only reason that I bought it) that Hyundai (I think) bought the tooling for the Cortina uprights and therefore these can be used. Doubt there's millions around though!

Ivan

posted on 15/11/06 at 05:24 PM Reply With Quote
I dont know how popular Light Trucks are in the UK but here in South Africa every second vehicle is one and they generaly have independant front suspensions and a useable live rear axle so might be worth investigating as donors.

Of course I have no idea what the front upright geometery is like but can't be much worse than the Cortina's

[Edited on 15/11/06 by Ivan]

Rek

posted on 15/11/06 at 05:57 PM Reply With Quote
Omega's have the right layout and cost nothing. loads in the scrapyard near me.
donut

posted on 15/11/06 at 06:24 PM Reply With Quote
BMW 3 series o recon

Andy

When I die, I want to go peacefully like my Grandfather did, in his sleep -- not screaming, like the passengers in his car.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/andywest1/

Johnmor

posted on 15/11/06 at 10:16 PM Reply With Quote
Mid Engine

It may be that kit manufacturers look at producing more Mid Engined Kit and use the front wheel drive set up in reverse, can produce very fine and fast results, also opens up the number of donors to an almost unlimted amout.

This would do for me!!

02GF74

posted on 16/11/06 at 10:55 AM Reply With Quote
land rover (maybe freelander but with the fwd removed?)
ZEN

posted on 16/11/06 at 05:33 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by scottc
Porsche 924

The porker has a transaxel layout.

My YouTube channel Cars, bikes - track days, motorsport, sim racing and more.

Mark Allanson

posted on 16/11/06 at 08:28 PM Reply With Quote
I am pretty sure the BMW E36 will be the donor of choice, but without the star trek electrics and fallen over engine.

The first person to come up with a cheap adaptor plate to link the BM box to a standard ford pattern will be a wealthy man

If you can keep you head, whilst all others around you are losing theirs, you are not fully aware of the situation

JoelP

posted on 16/11/06 at 09:16 PM Reply With Quote
i dont see donor shortage as a problem. Engines are ten a penny, and loads of previously fwd engines get used nowdays - just think xe, zetec and duratec to name 3. Front suspension can easily be made. Racks are more of a problem, what with PAS being the norm. Maybe move onto custom racks. Then all you need is the rear end.

So i guess the days of the single donor are running out (already gone in fact!), but theres no shortage of parts if you mix and match.

Volvorsport

posted on 16/11/06 at 09:46 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Mark Allanson
I am pretty sure the BMW E36 will be the donor of choice, but without the star trek electrics and fallen over engine.

The first person to come up with a cheap adaptor plate to link the BM box to a standard ford pattern will be a wealthy man

already been done !!.

www.dbsmotorsport.co.uk
getting dirty under a bus

NS Dev

posted on 17/11/06 at 10:19 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by JoelP
i dont see donor shortage as a problem. Engines are ten a penny, and loads of previously fwd engines get used nowdays - just think xe, zetec and duratec to name 3. Front suspension can easily be made. Racks are more of a problem, what with PAS being the norm. Maybe move onto custom racks. Then all you need is the rear end.

So i guess the days of the single donor are running out (already gone in fact!), but theres no shortage of parts if you mix and match.

I agree, the single donor is becoming largely irrelevant.

The more popular these cars become, the less the need for single donors

Retro RWD is the way forward...........automotive fabrication, car restoration, sheetmetal work, engine conversion retro car restoration and tuning

James

posted on 17/11/06 at 10:55 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by NS Dev
quote:

I wonder if they will continue to be as popular *without* a single donor choice tho.

When I started this I knew nothing about cars...** if I'd been told I had to choose bits from all sorts of different cars the choices/decisions would have been mind boggling! It's ok for the petrol head geniuses out there who know about lots of cars but for your no nothing newbie I suspect it'll be too intimidating to get started.

Cheers,
James

** Many would say I still don't!

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"The fight is won or lost far away from witnesses, behind the lines, in the gym and out there on the road, long before I dance under those lights." - Muhammad Ali

JackNco

posted on 17/11/06 at 11:54 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by James
quote:
Originally posted by NS Dev
quote:

I wonder if they will continue to be as popular *without* a single donor choice tho.

When I started this I knew nothing about cars...** if I'd been told I had to choose bits from all sorts of different cars the choices/decisions would have been mind boggling! It's ok for the petrol head geniuses out there who know about lots of cars but for your no nothing newbie I suspect it'll be too intimidating to get started.

Cheers,
James

** Many would say I still don't!

I think the smaller companies will start having to offer way more support. and MK will have to start answering there phone. but if your given a list of parts to find and a list of possible cars to find them in i think it would make it easier if anything

Now with forums like this for help and ebay for parts.

<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.