Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Help Stuck Dowel
carnut

posted on 17/11/06 at 05:15 PM Reply With Quote
Help Stuck Dowel

Hi,

Ive got a dowel stuck in a blind hole and cant remove it. Its flush with the surface so cant get a grip on it. Its hard as hell so cant drill it. Tried heating ali casing in the hope it would expand and leave the steel dowel slack. I think the dowel is in a tapered bore at the bottom so its well and truly jamed.

I havnt got a welder handy either. The dowel is about 6mm in diameter.

Please post any suggestions so i can tell you that ive already tried.

thanks
Mark

DIY Si

posted on 17/11/06 at 05:17 PM Reply With Quote
Got any pics?

“Let your plans be dark and as impenetratable as night, and when you move, fall like a thunderbolt.”
Sun Tzu, The Art of War

My new blog: http://spritecave.blogspot.co.uk/

carnut

posted on 17/11/06 at 05:21 PM Reply With Quote
Sorry but ive you have seen the dowel in a bike gearbox output shaft bearing/case. Its one of those.
DIY Si

posted on 17/11/06 at 05:23 PM Reply With Quote
Might not be locost, but get a bike shop to pull it out?

“Let your plans be dark and as impenetratable as night, and when you move, fall like a thunderbolt.”
Sun Tzu, The Art of War

carnut

posted on 17/11/06 at 05:27 PM Reply With Quote
Im not sure what they can do that i cant. I would get some1 to weld something to it but i'd have to wait till monday for that.
stevec

posted on 17/11/06 at 05:34 PM Reply With Quote
I reckon Japanese bike dowels are case hardened so that will cause extra probs if you try to drill it out.
Steve.

Hellfire

posted on 17/11/06 at 05:52 PM Reply With Quote
Araldite something to it, to give you something to pull??

Phil

JB
Senior Builder

Posts 436
Registered 20/5/04

Photo Archive Go!
Building: Built: V8 Kitten, 2 litre Lada, Space frame Minor,

posted on 17/11/06 at 05:53 PM Reply With Quote
Can you drill in from the "back side" then tap it out?

Alternatively you may have to leave it and drill another dowel hole else where.

John

russbost

posted on 17/11/06 at 05:58 PM Reply With Quote
Possible to machine a "stepped dowel" & insert this inside the stuck one, or insert smaller dowel to fit & put another of the existing size into the outer half of the case?

I no longer run Furore Products or Furore Cars Ltd, but would still highly recommend them for Acewell dashes, projector headlights, dominator headlights, indicators, mirrors etc, best prices in the UK! Take a look at http://www.furoreproducts.co.uk/ or find more parts on Ebay, user names furoreltd & furoreproducts, discounts available for LCB users.
Don't forget Stainless Steel Braided brake hoses, made to your exact requirements in any of around 16 colours. http://shop.ebay.co.uk/furoreproducts/m.html?_dmd=1&_ipg=50&_sop=12&_rdc=1

NOTE:This user is registered as a LocostBuilders trader and may offer commercial services to other users
Hellfire

posted on 17/11/06 at 06:03 PM Reply With Quote
Powerful magnet?

carnut

posted on 17/11/06 at 06:04 PM Reply With Quote
It cant be drilled and its been rammed into a cast hole at the bottom of the machined hole which will have draft on it so its bloody tight. Dont want to drill the cases to get it out or add another dowel either as it might weaken the structure.
DIY Si

posted on 17/11/06 at 06:08 PM Reply With Quote
Is another case expensive? Otherwise machining the centre out to allow it to be removed, or to fit a smaller/stepped dowel may be the only way.

Sun Tzu, The Art of War

carnut

posted on 17/11/06 at 06:13 PM Reply With Quote
If i could machine it, i could remove it. I have more cases but they are 100miles away and need stripping. And my other cases dont have the engine no. to match the VIN.
flak monkey

posted on 17/11/06 at 06:14 PM Reply With Quote
You either need to have it spark eroded out if its that hard, or buy a solid carbide drill to drill it out.

If you can drill it and tap it you can use a slide hammer to pull it out.

David

Sera

http://www.motosera.com

hector

posted on 17/11/06 at 06:27 PM Reply With Quote
IF you can drill a hole through it....... you can remove it by filling the hole with oil and using a snug fitting punch (in the hole you just drilled) gently tap with a hammer and the hydraulic pressure will drive it out! It really does work.
rusty nuts

posted on 17/11/06 at 07:04 PM Reply With Quote
Cobalt drill bit ? Find them very good , masonry drills are very hard if you can get one to start . Failing that as David says spark erosion
froggy

posted on 17/11/06 at 08:45 PM Reply With Quote
find a tap which will just about go in and try to get the tap started then wind a nut onto the tap to gve you something to pry against with a heel bar , its worked for me in the past just thought is it a hollow dowel?
owelly

posted on 17/11/06 at 09:57 PM Reply With Quote
Chew out as much as you can with a Dremmel. Try to grind a slot into it and try to colapse it inwards.

http://www.ppcmag.co.uk

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
ReMan

posted on 18/11/06 at 08:25 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by owelly
Chew out as much as you can with a Dremmel. Try to grind a slot into it and try to colapse it inwards.

I'd second that, dremel is probable the kindest option, so with a small grinding stone, the mountes ball type you could almost drill it out.
Actually I'm not sure its clear wether this is a solid or a hollow type dowel your talking about here? either way still dremel if hollow then slot as abovw, if solid then grind top, you may even find it drills once case hardening is broken through

carnut

posted on 18/11/06 at 11:23 AM Reply With Quote
Its a solid dowel else it would be a doddle. Im going to the hardware shop to see what they have in the way of drill bits/ grinding bits. I dont want to break the top off it else it would leave me with a worse problem with it below the surface.
BenB

posted on 18/11/06 at 11:26 AM Reply With Quote
Soak in release agent for a few days then drill a small hole and use a stud extractor (gently)?? You do have to be careful though- those extractors can shear and they're bloody hard metal as well....
I had to drill through rock hard steel a while back.. My old bits didn't fancy drilling through it but a new shiny set of titaniums starting small and working up got there slowly. Helps if you've got a powerful low speed drill. I used a 12v portable drill wired up to a car battery.... which was just about perfect for drilling steel (and V powerful)...

[Edited on 18/11/06 by BenB]

Peteff

posted on 18/11/06 at 01:15 PM Reply With Quote
I had to drill through rock hard steel

this will go down as a classic, ironic isn't it. Welding something to it may be difficult if the dowel is only small and risks arcing to the aluminium, is it only to locate the casing?

yours, Pete

I went into the RSPCA office the other day. It was so small you could hardly swing a cat in there.

carnut

posted on 18/11/06 at 04:07 PM Reply With Quote
The dowel is to hold a bearing outer from spinning.

Ive made some progress. I ground a slot across the dowel with a dremmel and i can now rotate it with a screwdriver. Next stem is to epoxy something to the top of it to try and pull it out. Will be a pain as theres likely to be the suction problem as i pull it out.

flak monkey

posted on 18/11/06 at 04:26 PM Reply With Quote
If you can turn it with a screwdriver its not that stuck.

Degrease it well and gluing something on might just work.

David

Sera

http://www.motosera.com

carnut

posted on 19/11/06 at 09:11 PM Reply With Quote
Tryed gluing something to it and it didnt work. Next stage is to weld something to it unless any1 has any bright ideas.
<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.