Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Mirrors for the SVA and mirrors for road use
Mark Allanson

posted on 6/6/03 at 09:16 PM Reply With Quote
Mirrors for the SVA and mirrors for road use

I have a nice pair of fully chromed headlamps and want chromed mirrors to match. Does anyone have any experience of these type of mirrors in the SVA environment?

Sharp edges aside, and the deflection rule which should not apply as the are fitted within the wheelbase, they are not very tall and may not give sufficient rear vision? Rescued attachment classic_mirror.jpg
Rescued attachment classic_mirror.jpg

zetec

posted on 7/6/03 at 04:10 AM Reply With Quote
I suspect your problem will be how much you can (or cannot) see out of them. Might be worth getting some cheap bike mirrors for test then swapping after.
phil

posted on 7/6/03 at 06:48 AM Reply With Quote
Mark,
Also to pass SVA, a template of card cut to 70mm(W) x 40mm(H) must be able to fit within the mirror glass area,also some part of the glass must be at least 70mm high. ie:the mirror can be any shape aslong as you have the above. The drivers mirror must be adjustable from the drivers seat.and should be E marked.
Hope that is some help,
PHIL.......

Mark Allanson

posted on 7/6/03 at 09:02 AM Reply With Quote
.and should be E marked

Do mirrors have to be E marked?

Mark Allanson

posted on 7/6/03 at 09:07 AM Reply With Quote
I also found these on NF website, they seem really good value (the whole site, not just the mirrors), click here

I think they would look OK if the mirror heads were painted body colour Rescued attachment turbo_mirrors.jpg
Rescued attachment turbo_mirrors.jpg

Alistair

posted on 7/6/03 at 11:55 AM Reply With Quote
I used one off a metro and stuck it to the scuttle for the SVA. The man seemed happy with that. Don't think it was E marked either but the lense was big enough for his template to fit. He tests the field of vision by measuring how high of the ground the mirror is and then sets a target on a pole to the same hieght and places it about 15m behind the car. If he can see the target then it passes.
Once you're home, pull the crappy mirror off and put whatever mirror you like on. I used some off a Honda VFR

Findlay234

posted on 7/6/03 at 12:31 PM Reply With Quote
1: does that 70x40 including the interior mirror?

2:do you reckon the nf auto ones are sva-able?

Mark Allanson

posted on 7/6/03 at 02:22 PM Reply With Quote
quote:

2:do you reckon the nf auto ones are sva-able?

OI!! I asked first

phil

posted on 7/6/03 at 04:16 PM Reply With Quote
I got my information from a book called "how to get your car through the "SINGLE VEHICLE APPROVAL TEST" and it says " all mirrors must carry an acceptable approval mark, E or e, together with"I"on a class one interior mirror, or "III"for a class two exterior mirror. I don't know what the SVA manual says, but i'm sure this book is based on it..
Maybe someone who has a manual could look it up??my book may be wrong!!(ripped off again!!)
I myself have been looking at those mirrors from car builders solutions (nf auto)they look the dogs!!--need to find out if they are accepteble.

Findlay...according to my book..the interior mirror surface should be no smaller than 80mm wide x 40mm high and with a minimum radius of 2.5mm around the edges.
regards
phil........

Mark Allanson

posted on 7/6/03 at 05:09 PM Reply With Quote
Phil.
Where did you get that book!!!????

Mark Allanson

posted on 7/6/03 at 05:11 PM Reply With Quote
Phil.
Have you got a scanner?

Mark Allanson

posted on 7/6/03 at 05:12 PM Reply With Quote
Phil.
I'll share my sweets with you in the playground at playtime

phil

posted on 7/6/03 at 08:01 PM Reply With Quote
Mark,
Next you will want to show me some of your puppys!!!!.
I got the book online @www.instantbookstore.com its a pdf file and takes about five mins to download
,costs about £8.00 and its in the general section.
And yes i do have a scanner, although the downloaded writing prints out very well, the diagrams seem a little ghosty and are easier to read on screen. All in all it has proberbly the same info as the SVA manual but less money and more understandable. The web site also has the authors e-mail address if you have any questions for him. The file is pasword protected and when you buy, you get a password to use everytime you open the file.
regards
phil.......

zetec

posted on 8/6/03 at 07:53 AM Reply With Quote
I, and I suspect, a few people have got thru without E marked mirrors, I think as long as they look correct and give the field of vision required they might not be checked, risk you take.
Peteff

posted on 8/6/03 at 09:40 AM Reply With Quote
ZXR400 mirrors.

No e-marks but they do comply. I don't think the tester looked closely enough to check for marks on most of the parts I used. As long as they aren't sharp and do the job they are o.k.

yours, Pete.

yours, Pete

I went into the RSPCA office the other day. It was so small you could hardly swing a cat in there.

Viper

posted on 8/6/03 at 10:11 AM Reply With Quote
My ZXR 400 mirrors have E marks, not the uk number but they are still e marked...

just been and had a look at my bike they are marked E 111 so are fully sva compliant...

[Edited on 8/6/2003 by Viper]

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
Northy

posted on 8/6/03 at 12:55 PM Reply With Quote
The SVA book / guide is in the Tiggerracing files section of the Yahoo group

Graham

Website under construction. Help greatfully received as I don't really know what I'm doing!

"If a man says something in the woods and there are no women there, is he still wrong?"

Built 2L 8 Valve Vx Powered Avon

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
Peteff

posted on 8/6/03 at 03:41 PM Reply With Quote
ZXR400 mirrors.

Mine were from a catalogue, the cheap replacement ones for when you fall off and break the Japanese ones and don't want to pay £35 each for originals.

yours, Pete.

yours, Pete

I went into the RSPCA office the other day. It was so small you could hardly swing a cat in there.

Viper

posted on 8/6/03 at 04:22 PM Reply With Quote
when i was knocked of my bike and bust a mirror i paid £15 for a genuine kawasaki replacement, from a kawasaki dealer...

merlin

posted on 8/6/03 at 05:22 PM Reply With Quote
mirrors

My inspector only checked for vision parking on one line and looking for another in the mirrors. He also pointed out that the interior mirror is optional as long as you have both wing mirrors fitted. Neither of my mirrors are 'e' marked and they passed. Interrestingly he only measured the size of the interior mirror (which he said I didn't need!!), didn't bother with the others!

shit happens! (but why always to me!!)

Viper

posted on 8/6/03 at 05:26 PM Reply With Quote
Merlin.
Are your mirrors obviously big enough? and i would suggest that the interior mirror was tested because it was there, as in a reversing light has to work if fitted but you don't have to fit one...

merlin

posted on 8/6/03 at 07:56 PM Reply With Quote
mirrors

I was a little dubious as to their size 'cos they are quite squat and oval and they are designed for the side of a m/bike fairing. Rescued attachment MVC-001S.JPG
Rescued attachment MVC-001S.JPG

chrisg

posted on 8/6/03 at 08:04 PM Reply With Quote
Merlin, mi 'owd fruit,

You're a bit short of switches there M8!

Which ones the ejector seat?

Cheers

Chris

Note to all: I really don't know when to leave well alone. I tried to get clever with the mods, then when they gave me a lifeline to see the error of my ways, I tried to incite more trouble via u2u. So now I'm banned, never to return again. They should have done it years ago!

merlin

posted on 8/6/03 at 08:22 PM Reply With Quote
ejector seat

not fitted yet, but the side winders are the second from the top on the left! Rescued attachment MVC-004S.JPG
Rescued attachment MVC-004S.JPG

Sheepy

posted on 12/6/03 at 01:10 PM Reply With Quote
Mr merlin...do you mind me asking what those mirrors are off, they look like they'd fit the bill perfectly on mine.
Thanks
Sheepy

<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.