Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Megasquirt catchup and recommendations
Northy

posted on 29/11/06 at 10:47 AM Reply With Quote
Megasquirt catchup and recommendations

Hi Guys,

After running my car on Webbers for about 3 years I fancy fuel injecting it.

I have managed to aquire a few parts that I will need, so far I have:

GSXR1000 throttle bodies
Megasquirt PCB and a few components
Stimulator PCB
EDIS unit
Trigger wheel
VR sensor
Throttle possition sensor

Parts I think I need:

External swirl pot (as tank can not be modified to fit one)
High pressure fuel pump
Extra fuel lines
Lamda sensor
Manifold

If anybody has any recommendations on the above that would be great.

Also I'm abit out of touch with Megasquirt itself. Last time I looked there were a few different versions, there are probably many more now.
I would like one box to do it all, the fueling and spark (with the EDIS unit). What would be the best version to go with now?

I'm hoping to have this all done before next summer.

Thanks for the help on this one. I need to get back up to speed on this stuff.

Cheers,

G

Graham

Website under construction. Help greatfully received as I don't really know what I'm doing!

"If a man says something in the woods and there are no women there, is he still wrong?"

Built 2L 8 Valve Vx Powered Avon

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
chriscook

posted on 29/11/06 at 06:20 PM Reply With Quote
You will either want to go with a MSnS-extra or an MS2.

With the MSnS-extra you can do the wasted spark without the EDIS and use the Vx crank pickup I think.

MS2 will not do wasted spark without an additional module - yet. There are alpha versions of MS2-extra which will do it but the code is very new.

I'm starting my conversion from carbs and megajolt to MS2. I went with MS2 because I already have the EDIS and 36-1 wheel from the megajolt setup. When MS2-extra is finished then I can ditch the EDIS if I want to.

If you aren't already using some kind of EDIS setup (or other ignition module that MS2 supports) then I think I'd stick with MSnS-extra. It should be pretty easy to change to MS2 in the future if you ever feel the need.

Chris

paulf

posted on 29/11/06 at 10:07 PM Reply With Quote
It depends on which PCB you have got.
The new V3 board supports trigger wheel and wasted spark with the edition of an extra vb921 coil driver.If you have the earlier 2,2 board then it need extra circuitry for coil driver and trigger wheel sensor, but is very easy to modify to work with the edis module.
Paul.
quote:
Originally posted by chriscook
You will either want to go with a MSnS-extra or an MS2.

With the MSnS-extra you can do the wasted spark without the EDIS and use the Vx crank pickup I think.

MS2 will not do wasted spark without an additional module - yet. There are alpha versions of MS2-extra which will do it but the code is very new.

I'm starting my conversion from carbs and megajolt to MS2. I went with MS2 because I already have the EDIS and 36-1 wheel from the megajolt setup. When MS2-extra is finished then I can ditch the EDIS if I want to.

If you aren't already using some kind of EDIS setup (or other ignition module that MS2 supports) then I think I'd stick with MSnS-extra. It should be pretty easy to change to MS2 in the future if you ever feel the need.

Chris

NS Dev

posted on 30/11/06 at 03:33 PM Reply With Quote
go with the v3 and forget the edis, adds a load of unnecessary complication when the main ecu can do it all

Retro RWD is the way forward...........automotive fabrication, car restoration, sheetmetal work, engine conversion retro car restoration and tuning

TangoMan

posted on 4/12/06 at 09:52 PM Reply With Quote
I have been reading up while deciding which way to go.

It looks like the V3 PCB is a worthwhile improvement over the earlier boards so I will be paying the extra for this.

I am not sure about MS1 or MS2 though. MS1 can be used with a direct coil driver but MS2 still needs the EDIS. So is it better to go with MSnS or MS2. I would expect the later version to be better but I don't really want to be rewiring next year to integrate a coil driver.

Any views??

I am keen now as my GSXR750 TB's arrived today so carbs are seeming like a second rate solution.

Summer's here!!!!

greggors84

posted on 4/12/06 at 10:30 PM Reply With Quote
Im looking to do this conversion too.

At the moment my fuel tank only has one outlet at the bottom. Im guessing the throttle bodies will need a fuel return to the tank.

Could I use a t piece before the fuel pump for the return. Or will this not work?

Chris

The Magnificent 7!

TangoMan

posted on 4/12/06 at 11:02 PM Reply With Quote
I had thought about this as I have the same problem. I can see no reason why it would not work but it would not be the best solution.

I am planning to punch a hole in the tank for the return feed and will then bond a plate to it, with pipe connector attached. 3M do a 2 part bonding for motor vehicles which is petrol resistant (Wurth also do one!!) I just need to check first to ensure they will withstand long term exposure.

I once cleared out a mini fuel tank to weld it up and don't fancy doing it again. Filled it up with water, filled it with exhaust fumes and still gt 6ft flames out of the neck!!

OK, I can't be bothered to take the tank out

Summer's here!!!!

hearbear

posted on 5/12/06 at 02:23 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by greggors84
Im looking to do this conversion too.

At the moment my fuel tank only has one outlet at the bottom. Im guessing the throttle bodies will need a fuel return to the tank.

Fit a small swirl pot at the tank exit and this will save you having to put another hole in to the tank as your return can come into this and keep a head of fuel for the high pres pump

Could I use a t piece before the fuel pump for the return. Or will this not work?

3.9Ltr SSC Stylus should be fun

Schrodinger

posted on 5/12/06 at 05:11 PM Reply With Quote
The problem with returning the fuel to the pump feed is that the fuel will be hot, it really needs some volume of fuel to cool it down otherwise you will get vapour locks.
Why not get a tank flang and put that in the top of the tank, it doesn't have to be close to the feed.

Syd Bridge

posted on 5/12/06 at 06:29 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Schrodinger
The problem with returning the fuel to the pump feed is that the fuel will be hot, it really needs some volume of fuel to cool it down otherwise you will get vapour locks.

You could do what is done on the cars I work with...............put a cooler matrix in the return line! And some put one in the suction side as well.

Cheers,
Syd.

Northy

posted on 5/12/06 at 10:53 PM Reply With Quote
This is what I've got:

PCB:

All I've got:

What are my options with this lot?

Cheers,

G

Graham

Website under construction. Help greatfully received as I don't really know what I'm doing!

"If a man says something in the woods and there are no women there, is he still wrong?"

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
whittlebeast

posted on 6/12/06 at 12:36 PM Reply With Quote
Don't worry about the fuel heating up. Most people do not wory about the bubbles in the fuel. My best advice is to plan on Ford EDIS. A clean tach signal is the most important single issue to get thru.

AW

paulf

posted on 6/12/06 at 01:23 PM Reply With Quote
That is a version 2.2 board , it is not fitted with onboard ignition drivers or cranksensor input. The easiest way is to use the Edis set up. The Edis system is reliable and cheap to fit and is a simple mod to the board.
Paul

Northy

posted on 7/12/06 at 07:01 PM Reply With Quote
Thanks Paul,

Were do I find the information I need to build it? There doesn't appear to be a nice easy site like the megajolt one?

Cheers,

G

Graham

paulf

posted on 7/12/06 at 09:22 PM Reply With Quote
Try here http://www.megamanual.com/mtabcon.htm
it is the main index for the megasquirt site , go to the v2.2 assembly guide here http://www.megamanual.com/v22manual/mass.htm
Paul.

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.