Take it back!
Pay for it

Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Moral Dilema again!
JoelP

posted on 2/12/06 at 07:20 PM Reply With Quote
Moral Dilema again!

Now then people, i find myself in a small quandry and thought id get some opinions off you good people before i decide how to proceed!

I nearly finished a trailer a year ago, but moved it into a friends garage to make space. He moved out but his friend carried on, then he too moved out and another friend took over the rent. Next thing i know the bugger has pulled a runner owing the landlord nearly a grand! So when i finally get in touch with the landlord, he wont give me my trailer back! He wants £100 to help get his money back. Having spoken to the people concerned, they are blaming each other and no one wants to stump up the 100 to get my trailer back. So, do i pay up, or just take it back? With a few tools i can get in and out with no damage caused, but obviously this would be a bit shady (downright illegal infact!). So, how to proceed? I feel morally unwilling to pay for the return of my own belongings, plus the landlord now has a forwarding address for one of them so has a chance of suing for his money back without pestering me!

Thoughts?!

greggors84

posted on 2/12/06 at 07:30 PM Reply With Quote
How soon you going to be working on the trailer again?

I would see how it pans out. The Landlord isnt going to try and sell an unfinished trailer, so you may get it back if he eventually wants rid of it for the space.

Even if he does keep it and decides to sell it to get some money back you will prob get it back for less than £100 if its far from finished.

donut

posted on 2/12/06 at 07:33 PM Reply With Quote
It's not ilegal to nick back what is already yours but as for breaking and entering.....well!

Still I'm with Chris on this one.

Andy

When I die, I want to go peacefully like my Grandfather did, in his sleep -- not screaming, like the passengers in his car.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/andywest1/

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
russbost

posted on 2/12/06 at 07:36 PM Reply With Quote
It's your trailer, you don't owe the money, if you go round there & happen to "find the garage open" then I'm sure you'd be within your rights to remove it, obviously breaking & entering is a crime, tho' if you got caught a decent Brief would get you off given the circumstances that you were only retrieving your property.
I am a landlord myself & in the same circumstances when I eventually discovered the trailer had gone wouldn't even bother to report it, we're well used to being ripped off & stitched up as landlords have naff all rights! hence would just chalk it up as yet another minor loss
Good luck

I no longer run Furore Products or Furore Cars Ltd, but would still highly recommend them for Acewell dashes, projector headlights, dominator headlights, indicators, mirrors etc, best prices in the UK! Take a look at http://www.furoreproducts.co.uk/ or find more parts on Ebay, user names furoreltd & furoreproducts, discounts available for LCB users.
Don't forget Stainless Steel Braided brake hoses, made to your exact requirements in any of around 16 colours. http://shop.ebay.co.uk/furoreproducts/m.html?_dmd=1&_ipg=50&_sop=12&_rdc=1

NOTE:This user is registered as a LocostBuilders trader and may offer commercial services to other users
Jon Ison

posted on 2/12/06 at 07:56 PM Reply With Quote
need an hand ?

lexi

posted on 2/12/06 at 08:24 PM Reply With Quote
I think if the landlord was a bit wider he could have said that he didn`t believe it was yours and everything on the premises in belonging to his previous tenant was now his to sell and recoup some of his losses. Tell the Police that he has offered to sell you your trailer back ........more or less admitting it`s yours. Agree with everyone else. And be careful with the boltcutters ........I buggered my ankle with them once
Alex

Please Note..This user is/was not a trader. Button pressers please check stomach for descension of balls

goodall

posted on 2/12/06 at 08:37 PM Reply With Quote
its extortion for him to make you pay for it i say
graememk

posted on 2/12/06 at 08:41 PM Reply With Quote
go get it back then accuse him of theft

fesycresy

posted on 2/12/06 at 08:55 PM Reply With Quote
Could you prove to the police it's yours ?

If it were me I'd just arrange to meet him at the house and proceed to take what's mine. Let him physically stop me. In my experience most people back down.

But be honest with yourself would YOU be prepared to do that ? All very well sat at a keyboard saying I'd twat him etc. etc.

If you're not keen on that approach you could always agree to meet him half way and offer him £50.

Then buy a Black Widow catapult, get some 10mm ball bearings, and a few drive by attacks on his windows should make you smile

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The sooner you fall behind, the more time you'll have to catch up.

balidey

posted on 2/12/06 at 08:56 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by graememk
go get it back then accuse him of theft

I was about to say exactly the same thing.

But when you report it as stolen, say it was a top of the range Brian James trailer with all the accessories worth about 2 grand. And as it was stolen off the Landlords property, so he would need to either claim on his insurance policy, or settle with you for cash.

Realistically, I can see you getting the trailer back legally without having to resort to any nasty-ness.

Peteff

posted on 2/12/06 at 09:06 PM Reply With Quote
How long has it been in there?

Call it a storage charge, technically it was on his property. On the other hand possession is 9/10 of the law and if the Busies aren't interested in him having it they shouldn't be interested in you taking it back, however they were pretty quick to come forward when Jon had a "stolen" ebay trailer on his front yard. You could contact them and tell them he is trying to extort money from you which might get them interested. In theory he is alright till he tries to sell or use it, then he is in the wrong.

yours, Pete

I went into the RSPCA office the other day. It was so small you could hardly swing a cat in there.

GavBurns

posted on 2/12/06 at 09:36 PM Reply With Quote
Just threaten him with the cops and see how he reacts, before anything too hasty.

Go BEC you'll never look back (literally)!!

Wadders

posted on 2/12/06 at 10:10 PM Reply With Quote
Just go get it joel, go in the middle of the day, it looks less suss, anyone asks, you lost your keys, give us a shout if you want a hand.
Al
Is the landlords name Harry the bas#ard??

JoelP

posted on 2/12/06 at 10:39 PM Reply With Quote
lol, you lot seem to think like me

Its back already, safe and sound. Thanks for all the replies. I felt a little hot stood in his drive with a cordless drill in my hand, fortunately it all went back together fine. Then my pal tells me he lives over the road

Just to get one thing straight, i would never have twatted him, i feel very sorry for him to be fair as my 'mate' has f£$ked over another landlord in the past and its a very poor way to go about things. As far as i see it you pay you way and hope karma is fair on you.

He worded it as a storage charge, but since it was rented to my mate then technically its my mate who could charge storage, not the landlord.

Anyway, its just the principle that i spent a lot of effort designing and building it, and about £200 on parts (and hours grinding the alloys to fit), and theres no way id let it go.

Anyway, to the people who voted to pay him, i can see where you are coming from. But TBH, i cant afford to waste my money paying other peoples debts, so sod it. Whats done is done. I should have no probs proving its mine since i have photos of it being built.

Err, Alan, i dont suppose you have an M16x2 tap do you? It just, im missing a few bits off your trailer Somewhere on the m25? Nothing i cant make in a quiet afternoon though

Wadders

posted on 2/12/06 at 11:07 PM Reply With Quote
Good to hear you got it back ok. And yes i think iv'e got an m16 tap, what fell off btw? can't you just tie wrap it back on

ATB Al.

Err, Alan, i dont suppose you have an M16x2 tap do you? It just, im missing a few bits off your trailer Somewhere on the m25? Nothing i cant make in a quiet afternoon though

stevec

posted on 2/12/06 at 11:36 PM Reply With Quote
The main point is that you have done no wrong and you should not suffer from someone elses bad doings.
Glad its back in the right hands.
Steve.

Dusty

posted on 3/12/06 at 12:10 AM Reply With Quote
Now you've got it back you could think about telling the landlord where he can recover his rent. A 'mate' like that who makes a habit of ripping people off presents its own moral dilemma and it's only a matter of time before he does it to you again. After all he's dropped you in it once now and left you to sink or swim. Do us all a favour.
JoelP

posted on 3/12/06 at 09:18 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Dusty
Now you've got it back you could think about telling the landlord where he can recover his rent.

I gave gave him his phone number, i thought it a little shady to give him his address. He knows his parents address so im sure he will chase him down.

Alan, it was those two things that hold down the tilt that departed Gave me a jump, let me tell you! Pretty sure those captive bolts are m16x2? Got a day off today so i'll sort it out

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.