Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Automated Gates
locoboy

posted on 3/12/06 at 10:54 PM Reply With Quote
Automated Gates

Fellas,

I have a sliding steel railing type gate as the entrance to the driveway, its the width of a double driveway so approx 4m long.

Its currently opened and closed via muscle power!

There is a length of upturned angle iron set into the ground forming a ^ shape that allows the pully type wheels on the bottom of the gate to carry its weight back and forth.

It opens and closes smothely at present and is begging for an automated system!

My question is....

How can i make it automated without spending £300+ on a dogs nuts purpose made thing?

I have an idea utilising a starter motor and pushbike sprocket and pushbike chain tack welded to the side / underside of the gate

Im concerned about how i would make the motor stop when its fully open and when its fully closed, also when its open how will the motor know its open and that its next opperation is to close it?

Lastly what sort of kit is available to remotely switch power to the motor via infra red or such?

Im not just being lazy............the road outside is narrow and i often cause an obstruction when i have to stop and jump out to open or close the gate.

[Edited on 3/12/06 by locoboy]

ATB
Locoboy

RazMan

posted on 3/12/06 at 11:00 PM Reply With Quote
How about converting an engine hoist motor? They have movement limiters too don't they?
Remote control is easy peasy - Maplin do a 2 channel remote control or you could use a garage door jobbie.

Cheers,
Raz

When thinking outside the box doesn't work any more, it's time to build a new box

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
nitram38

posted on 3/12/06 at 11:14 PM Reply With Quote
You need magnetic reed limit switches. You can buy them from a Security company or maplins.
Our gate at work has a chain underneath that is attached one end and a tensioner made from a piece of stud with nuts either side. You will also need to make the chain adjustable in the horizontal plane as the gate will tilt as it passes over the cog. This will mean that the chain will tilt away from the cog when fully open and will slip. Hope this info helps.

Simon

posted on 3/12/06 at 11:38 PM Reply With Quote
Ok, cheapest way is to have self centering hinges, so gates open in both directions, and return to "shut" after use.

Fit softening to gates, as you drive into them they open, once through, they close

About a tenner!

HTH

ATB

Simon

MickA

posted on 4/12/06 at 06:08 AM Reply With Quote
Locoboy,

I wire Auto gates up here in Australia both swing and slide and yes they are a bit pricey(I sub contract)...One of the possibilities that I have seen is a car starter motor as a drive and the rack was either purchased or made and it worked well but we replaced it with a modern unit, so all you need ia a starter motor as the pinion drive some form of rack attached to the gate and two limits mounted near the motor with a striker plate on each end of the rack to stop it in the open or close position then a small car battery wired up to a cheap/small battery charger...

Hows that sound
I know confusing
Cheers
Mick
Sunny Wollongong( just south of Sydney)

Peteff

posted on 4/12/06 at 11:28 AM Reply With Quote
How about a winch motor, they run both ways and will run forever, I've seen them used in stairlift plans on t'internet somewhere. (Not that I've been looking at stairlifts, honest)

yours, Pete

I went into the RSPCA office the other day. It was so small you could hardly swing a cat in there.

Confused but excited.

posted on 4/12/06 at 03:47 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Simon
Ok, cheapest way is to have self centering hinges, so gates open in both directions, and return to "shut" after use.

Fit softening to gates, as you drive into them they open, once through, they close
About a tenner!

HTH

ATB

Simon

How efficient is that?!
I vote Simon 'Locoster of the Year 2006'.

Tell them about the bent treacle edges!

Simon

posted on 4/12/06 at 10:33 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
How efficient is that?!
I vote Simon 'Locoster of the Year 2006'.

Cor, get car on the road at beginning of year and an award at the end

What a year it's been. I'd just like to thank Ron Champion for the idea, Haynes for publishing it, Locostbuilders for all ...............

ATB

Simon

[Edited on 4/12/06 by Simon]

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.