Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: rear wishbones
soggy 3

posted on 29/12/06 at 01:40 AM Reply With Quote
rear wishbones

I am Pi***d off tried every possable way of fitting them,the book way (wrong),flipped over bottom one as talked about on a thread the best i can get is like this pic i took at a show one of a pair of matching avons the wheel looks like it is to far back in the arch.
http://i75.photobucket.com/albums/i304/soggy2_2006/Picture118.jpg
i have an early chassis do i have to just like it or lump it?

[Edited on 29/12/06 by soggy 3]

PAUL FISHER

posted on 29/12/06 at 02:02 AM Reply With Quote
The car in the picture looks like its got its rear arch incorrectly fitted,needs moving to the rear about a inch,then the wheel would be in the centre of the arch?
pjavon

posted on 29/12/06 at 10:28 AM Reply With Quote
Give a days rest and go back out there with a clean bill of health as i know exactly what you mean, the build can annoy sometimes but they can be fitted correctly

Description
Description

Description
Description

I have an early chassis, built in 2002, and both top and bottom wishbones are handed but unfortunatly can't remember which way they go, SORRY, but from memory, which is not very good, i think the steeper angle goes to the front of the car, hope this helps a little bit as i can remember having to change them myself to centre the wheel but as it was about 3.5 years ago unfortunatly can't tell you how i done it

Always keep a big hammer and a condom in your toolbox, if you can't fix it with the hammer

andrew.carwithen

posted on 29/12/06 at 04:18 PM Reply With Quote
I have a v.early Avon chassis (circa. 2000) and I flipped over the rear bottom wishbones to that shown in the book and left the top rear 'bones in their original orientation (there is a lengthy thread on this subject somewhere in the 'Avon' archives.)There is a significant 'twist' of the shock in the top mount (again, I think this is the norm?) but the wheel seemed to be centred within the arch when I trial fitted the bodywork (have other issues with that!)
Just a thought - do you have the spacers located on the correct side of the bottom wishbone rose joints?

Andy.

soggy 3

posted on 29/12/06 at 04:55 PM Reply With Quote
I think i have solved the problem the top wishbone was the wrong way round also i had the rear bodywork un riveted for about 6 months and i think even though it is now done the rear arches have sagged a bit, bugger,never mind onwards and upwards.
My car i think is older even than yours it was the same colour gel coat as yours but i have the pre tiger bonnet and nose cone.

Rudy

posted on 30/12/06 at 07:30 AM Reply With Quote
read this http://www.locostbuilders.co.uk/viewthread.php?tid=47377
In his foto album there is a drawing how to put wishbone.
I did as shades teach me it is ok. However in my case (I did a trial body fitting) I need to moove bodywork becouse in left side it were ok , in right side not.

Sorry about my English

soggy 3

posted on 30/12/06 at 05:47 PM Reply With Quote
Read that a recently and i have done it to that spec but its still not perfect but it will have to do.
mark.s

posted on 31/12/06 at 06:20 PM Reply With Quote
soggy
are there any weld marks on the tubes (about 1 inch long) of the wish bone if there is they have to point to the back of the car
if you need a pic let me know

cheers mark

soggy 3

posted on 31/12/06 at 06:30 PM Reply With Quote
I keep hearing about these weld marks are they just a bead of weld along the tube as i dont have any?
I would take some pics of the wheel in the arch but the car is on stands and there is not much space between the wheel and the garage wall.
A pic would be good cheers.

[Edited on 31/12/06 by soggy 3]

mark.s

posted on 31/12/06 at 10:02 PM Reply With Quote
couple of pics in archive soggy

cheers mark

soggy 3

posted on 1/1/07 at 10:43 AM Reply With Quote
As i thought because mine is an early one i dont have those weld marks i think my bones are pre tiger bones as the welding and fab are c**p and the measurements are miles out that may be the problem.
It will do for now then will have onother look when its on the road.
cheers for the pic.

les

posted on 5/1/07 at 11:34 AM Reply With Quote
Hi guys,

sorry to drag this up again, i also have problems.
I have the weld marks on the wishbones to the rear, on the underside- avon book states that distance from chassis member to the bush housing on the lower wishbone should be 100mm

but after setting this distance, the hub carrier is completely out of alignment with the upper wishbone and wont slide in!! Rescued attachment DSCF0006edited.JPG
Rescued attachment DSCF0006edited.JPG

shades

posted on 5/1/07 at 11:40 AM Reply With Quote
There is a sketch in my picture archive as to where the welds should be... Its not easy. From memory I had the wishbones when put on the right way up right way round pushed all the way back with the spacers to the front of the car.

Thanks
Adrian

soggy 3

posted on 5/1/07 at 03:33 PM Reply With Quote
I had to use levers and a lot of mussle to get mine in the whole lot is under tension.
I have given up worrying about it will see how far it is out when i check the geometry.

mark.s

posted on 5/1/07 at 07:56 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by soggy 3
I had to use levers and a lot of mussle to get mine in the whole lot is under tension.
I have given up worrying about it will see how far it is out when i check the geometry.

thats going to eat your bushes soggy. i was thinkin about this today, why dont you ring tiger and get 2 lower wish bones posted. i think the ones you have got are bushed and the newer ones are adjustable on rose joints so you can set it up how you like it .....just a thought

cheers mark

soggy 3

posted on 6/1/07 at 12:25 AM Reply With Quote
Afraid not bottom wishbones are rose jointed!!!
looking at the welding on other poeples wishbones mine i think they used mine for welding practice!!
thinking about it the passenger side went in easy no fuss i think my hub might be the problem i seam to remember when fitting it when the wishbone was the wrong way round and i couldnt get the bolt through the hub when the wishbone was already bolted on,anybody know how much a new hub is? my pdf reader is off line.

[Edited on 6/1/07 by soggy 3]

soggy 3

posted on 9/1/07 at 12:17 AM Reply With Quote
UPDATE
After taking pjavon,s advice i had another look at the rear and dismantled it and after laying it on a flat surface i found out that both the top and bottom fishbones are twisted probably from all the shite welding! also the hub carier has been welded wrong insted of going straight across parallel to the top it goes up and also inwards!!! I think a trip to tiger is in order will probably have to buy new ones as i brought an unfinished kit(wonder why?)but will try to exchange worth a try.

[Edited on 9/1/07 by soggy 3]

Viper

posted on 11/2/07 at 04:45 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
UPDATE
After taking pjavon,s advice i had another look at the rear and dismantled it and after laying it on a flat surface i found out that both the top and bottom fishbones are twisted probably from all the shite welding! also the hub carier has been welded wrong insted of going straight across parallel to the top it goes up and also inwards!!! I think a trip to tiger is in order will probably have to buy new ones as i brought an unfinished kit(wonder why?)but will try to exchange worth a try.

Best of luck mate,

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
soggy 3

posted on 11/2/07 at 06:27 PM Reply With Quote
Hello where have you been
You going to get that car finished mines nearly done only taken a few years!

Viper

posted on 12/2/07 at 11:00 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Hello where have you been
You going to get that car finished mines nearly done only taken a few years!

Been away spending time and money on other hobbies...
must get the pile outa the garage and get her finished....maybe this year...

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.