Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Drive Shaft Angle?
markal

posted on 1/1/07 at 06:24 PM Reply With Quote
Drive Shaft Angle?

Hi, do drive shafts have to be perfectly in line, when viewed from the back, and when viewed from the top looking down? if not whats bad? regards Alan.
gttman

posted on 1/1/07 at 06:31 PM Reply With Quote
Don't mount the shafts dead straight from both views as they could wear out the CV joints prematurelly...

I've mounted mine with a slight angle when viewed from above and so that under 3/4 bump they are dead straight from the rear.... thus plenty of angle under normal driving and as straight as possible under full load.

Andygtt

Please redefine your limits

markal

posted on 1/1/07 at 06:39 PM Reply With Quote
My problem is to lower the engine brings the back of the gearbox up, engine is in the back (gt40), and it rocks on the chassis, i cannot remove any more metal, its as low as it can go, so as the gearbox comes up to level the drive shafts so the engine tilts up, looks stupid, regards Alan.
gttman

posted on 1/1/07 at 06:59 PM Reply With Quote
You might not want to angle the engine to much unless you know the oiling will be OK.... as old V8s often rely on gravity to move around oil at the top of the engine.

Out of interest what Engine and box combo are you using?

Andygtt

markal

posted on 1/1/07 at 07:04 PM Reply With Quote
Ford 302, mated to a Renault Turbo box, i have posted some pics in my archive its easier, regards Alan.

[Edited on 1/1/07 by markal]

[Edited on 1/1/07 by markal]

dmottaway

posted on 1/1/07 at 07:44 PM Reply With Quote
I have always heard that the engine is supposed to sit in the chassis in a "nose up" attitude. If you look at your intake manifold, you will see that, if the face where the carb mounts is level, then the engine will assume this attitude and be pretty close to proper.

I accept criticism very well, feel free to comment.

dave

Somewhere, in Texas, a village is missing its idiot.

gttman

posted on 1/1/07 at 09:00 PM Reply With Quote
Ok had a look, can't easily see the chassis issues but I'd not tip the engine forward due to potential carb and oiling issues....... If you really have to check to see if others have done this first otherwise it may cause major issues later.

Regarding drive shaft angles.... my last kit was an Ultima and these had an angle of around 2.5inches across the shaft (angled down from the gearbox to the hub).... It ran over 500bhp at track and strip and was OK and your angles look a lot less.

As long as its a few degrees when stationary and doesn't exceed something 2.5inches (around 15degrees I think) you should be OK.

Andygtt

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.