Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: javascript
matt.c

posted on 7/1/07 at 10:00 PM Reply With Quote
javascript

I keep getting this message on the bottom of my page while trying to go on some web pages.

What is it?

Why wont it let me go on the pages?

any help would be great.

Thanks

matt

Hellfire

posted on 7/1/07 at 10:03 PM Reply With Quote
Javascript is sometimes used on certain websites. It often needs updating... its probably that message which is popping up.

Just update and it will go away for a few months...

Steve

flak monkey

posted on 7/1/07 at 10:04 PM Reply With Quote
Java is another web programming language, like HTML.

Your problem may be that your version of Java is out of date, try updating it from the java site:

http://www.java.com/en/

Its mainly uses on sites where there are encrypted parts, interactive menus and other clever stuff thats beyond my programming skills.

No doubt someone else will be along with a better explaination

David

Sera

http://www.motosera.com

matt.c

posted on 7/1/07 at 10:06 PM Reply With Quote
cheers steve, How and where do i do that?

Sorry real dumb ass with computers

Dam flak you are to fast but cheers i will try that.

[Edited on 7/1/07 by matt.c]

nicksertis

posted on 7/1/07 at 10:23 PM Reply With Quote
javascript

I think the thing you might be talking about looks like a small yellow triangle in the bottom of your web browser?

If so then you don't need to update anything, as the yellow triangle represents a "javascript error" on that website. This can only be a result of a few things, usually a problem with the website itself, but it can be if your computer didn't download the page properly or has security settings that prevent javascript from running as intended.

I wouldn't worry too much about it, unless it prevents you from accessing a site that you need to access. In that case you should contact the website owner to either fix the problem or help you change your browser settings, as sometimes it can be down to the security settings on your web browser that prevents the page from running javascript properly.

Hope that helps? If you want to ask more about this problem let me know.

Cheers,
Nick

matt.c

posted on 7/1/07 at 10:34 PM Reply With Quote
Cheers all and thanks to flak for the website.

Sorted now!

nicksertis

posted on 7/1/07 at 10:35 PM Reply With Quote
I should also add that Java and Javascript aren't the same thing. Java does need updating from time to time, but isn't used as widely as javascript for websites.

Javascript is a scripting language that programmers use to enhance the website from just text and images (e.g. mouseover buttons are made possible with javascript). It is common to the point of ubiquity on websites, but it is quite easy for a web designer to make a mistake which will cause the little yellow triangle to appear.

There are lots of different browsers and they all have small differences in the way they can read javascript (why isn't there a standard? There is, but they interpret it differently - go figure).

Edit - Ah so it was a java issue. Completely ignore me then!

[Edited on 7/1/07 by nicksertis]

Peteff

posted on 8/1/07 at 12:02 AM Reply With Quote
It's probably Sun Java that it requires, try here . There's sometimes a difference between it and Microsoft Java but it may just be that you have not got Java enabled in internet options

yours, Pete

I went into the RSPCA office the other day. It was so small you could hardly swing a cat in there.

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.