Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Reply
Author: Subject: Aeroscreen to Windscreen conversion
ADD

posted on 8/1/07 at 12:57 PM Reply With Quote
Aeroscreen to Windscreen conversion

Hi All,
Thinking about buying an Indy at the mo, but see that most seem to come with an aeroscreen or no screen at all. I will be using it as much as poss so need a windscreen.
Has anyone converted one, is it possible? How much do you think it would be? How difficult would it be?

Plus, since I am thinking about getting one has anyone got an opinon on how good and bad the Indy really is?

Thanks

Adam

JUD

posted on 8/1/07 at 01:05 PM Reply With Quote
Not done a screen conversion, so can't help there.

As to how good/bad an Indy is - there is a lot of conversation on the forum about this and any amount of searching will throw up numerous opinions. The only thing I will say is that the Indy is undoubtedly better than the driving capability of 95% of the people on this forum.

Martin

---------------------
MK Indy Blade

Tinks

posted on 8/1/07 at 01:23 PM Reply With Quote
When I bought my MK Indy I asked the same question. MK told me that they offer a full windscreen kit for around £220 but don't quote me on that
oliwb

posted on 8/1/07 at 01:24 PM Reply With Quote
Never been in one so can't comment on that. I've only ever seen one indy in my life and to be honest I wasn't impressed. Partly down to the way it had been put together and partly not. Though they can't be that bad as there's literally tonnes of them about and I'm sure we'd know by now! Oli.

If your not living life on the edge you're taking up too much room!

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
scotlad
Contributor

Posts 781
Registered 30/9/03
Location Edinburgh

Photo Archive Go!
Building: Built MK Indy Blade, RH 2b Zetec, rebuilding locos

posted on 8/1/07 at 01:51 PM Reply With Quote
Mangogroove and macspeedy could probably sort you out with the bits to do a full screen. U2U them for a price perhaps?
mookaloid

posted on 8/1/07 at 01:56 PM Reply With Quote
On my Indy I have tried

1. no screen

2. MAC #1 tinted fly screen

3 full Windscreen (Mangogroove workshop)

I had to get the full screen fitted for the roadgoing class on the hill climbs.

Given a free choice I would take the full screen off and just have the fly screen. it seems to be the best compromise between wind protection and the horrendous buffeting you get with the full screen.

As to how good or bad the Indy is - I can only say that it is an easy kit to put together - everything mechanical fits well. The bodywork fits reasonably well and good results can be obtained without having to re-engineer the kit.

Also how good or bad it is depends largely on what you are comparing with.

It is not as good as a £35K Caterham but it is very good value for what you pay for it.

HTH

Mark

"That thing you're thinking - it wont be that."

graememk

posted on 8/1/07 at 02:02 PM Reply With Quote
i have an indy myself
the kits i liked were and not in any order

MK
MNR
MAC1
GTS

whitestu

posted on 8/1/07 at 02:12 PM Reply With Quote
Getting other people's opinions is helpful, but the best bet is to have a drive.

I test drove the MK demo car before I bought my kit and loved it.

Depends what you are after I suppose, but IMHO for the money the Indy is hard to beat.

Stu

greggors84

posted on 8/1/07 at 02:20 PM Reply With Quote
Mark, have you tried fitting small sidescreens to help stop the buffeting with the full screen.

I've got a full screen im going to fit soon and will be trying various sidescreens but wondered what people had go to work if anything.

Speak to Mangogrooveworkshop (Pat Quinlan) He makes screens for Indys, will be around £220 to £250 depending on glass prices, last time I spoke to him he said It would be cheaper for me to get the glass cut myself from his template as his glass supplier was only doing minmum orders. Also then he wouldnt have to ship the glass which adds to the price.

He may see this thread and email you.

As for the Indy, as said it most road drivers wont notice its faults as they are only really noticalbe on track apparently, and even then its only when you are pushing for those extra tenths.

As for quality, I originally looked at Robin Hood, but heard horror stories from their owners club, a few owners said they wouldnt build them again. Then I looked at Tigers, went to the open day, and there were some nicely finished cars, but the quality seemed lacking abit from their lower models. Eventually saw the indy and loved it, even from their half finished pinto demonstrator. Drive one and I doubt you will be able to fault it, build quality wise its up to you, the components you are given are good enough quality, but being a budget kit it will need some fettling to make it special, but they all do.

[Edited on 8/1/2007 by greggors84]

Chris

The Magnificent 7!

mookaloid

posted on 8/1/07 at 02:34 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by greggors84
Mark, have you tried fitting small sidescreens to help stop the buffeting with the full screen.

[Edited on 8/1/2007 by greggors84]

I have one fitted at the drivers side and it definitely helps but I would still rather have just the Fly screen and wear helmet.

Cheers

mark

"That thing you're thinking - it wont be that."

zxrlocost

posted on 8/1/07 at 02:47 PM Reply With Quote
the Mk is a great kit car

it goes together like lego with a lttle fettling which seems to be the norm on most kits

as youll see in my avatar NO WINDSCREEN wear a helmet

PLEASE NOTE: This user is a trader who has not signed up for the LocostBuilders registration scheme. If this post is advertising a commercial product or service, please report it by clicking here.

Marcus

posted on 8/1/07 at 03:22 PM Reply With Quote
I don't know if this counts, but I'm running a Locost with an MK scuttle. Bought a Caterham heated screen off ebay for £40 and had some supports laser cut from stainless for £20. Add some ears (wind deflectors) and it's very comfortable at 80 ish.
Just bought some westy sidescreens too, and with a little fettling should be even better.
I wouldn't go back to aeroscreen.

Marcus

Because kits are for girls!!

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
Hellfire

posted on 8/1/07 at 06:39 PM Reply With Quote
I don't think MK have fooled anyone. The simple fact of the matter is that they've been around a lot longer than most of the other manufacturers and have and still continue to provide kits that are extremely good value for money, which explains why there's more MK's than most others.

There are now quite a few manufacturers around, all of whom are competing for a slice of the seven market. In order to compete, they all offer slightly different chassis that have developed over the years. As to which one is best, like CalvinX says, is for you to decide based on your specific requirements.

We have only ever built MK's and as such our opinion would be biased.

Phil

Pezza

posted on 8/1/07 at 08:03 PM Reply With Quote
After driving my old westy with a screen fitted, then a couple of others with aero's i'm going for an aeroscreen on my indy build. Felt far less buffering myself. (saying that I never actualy fitted the deflectors I picked up to the sides of the screen)

Pez

You couldn't pwn your way out of a wet paper bag, with "PWN ME!!" written on it, from the "pwned take-away" which originally contained one portion of chicken tikka pwnsala and the obligatory free pwnpadom.

PAUL FISHER

posted on 8/1/07 at 11:03 PM Reply With Quote
MK can supply a full screen for £300.
ADD

posted on 9/1/07 at 08:54 AM Reply With Quote
Does anyone know if MK do a wet weather set up as well ?.
The only way I can get it past SWMBO is to have it as an all weather car.

Thanks

Adam

PAUL FISHER

posted on 9/1/07 at 09:23 AM Reply With Quote
No they don't,you could have your own made,but I would think it would be ££££££.
zetec

posted on 9/1/07 at 09:59 PM Reply With Quote
I have a screen on my Indy. I think £300 is a bit strong. RAC Autoglass charged me £70 for the glass cut to a pattern. Then if you can get someone to bend the ali frame I suspect with some uprights £150 should be about right.

The good news with MK is that they are reliable, the kit works and it can't be that bad seeing as a good few suppliers including GTS "borrowed" their chassis to get started .

" I only registered to look at the pictures, now I'm stuck with this username for the rest of my life!"

New Topic New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.