Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Sailing Norfolk Broads?
pgpsmith

posted on 12/1/07 at 03:26 AM Reply With Quote
Sailing Norfolk Broads?

Clueless in New Jersey:

Having only experienced the Broads from across the Atlantic by way of some Swallows and Amazons books and The Magic of the Swatchways, my wife and I are taken with the idea of a sailing holiday on the famous waters. We're thinking of a Horning to Lowestoft cruise. However, our information is at least 70 years out of date.

Does anyone know if the waters are still pleasant enough to be enjoyable? Or are other waters preferrable? Or do you know someone who would could comment knowledgeably? Any recommendations for sailboat (preferably wooden) hire for a summer holiday? Or a bonhomous sort of skipper (or couple) and boat?

Sevens and estuarine sailing in their native habitat - what could be better?

Regards,
Pete

Live and don't learn, that's us. - Calvin and Hobbes

flak monkey

posted on 12/1/07 at 07:09 AM Reply With Quote
Hi Pete,

I live pretty locally to the broads and often go there in the summer.

They are still a lovely place to take a sailing holiday. Get in touch with some of the boat hire places, they are all knowledgeable and helpful and can recommend a boat for you based on your experience.

http://www.norfolkbroads.com/

David

Sera

http://www.motosera.com

NS Dev

posted on 12/1/07 at 07:56 AM Reply With Quote
Do you mean boating or actual sailing?

If you mean proper sailing, it's not really the best place to go. The main routes through the broads are quite busy and there are a lot of motor cruisers which make sailing tricky, as they are too big to give way to you!

I have been on the broads a number of times, in both motor cruisers and sailing dinghies of various descriptions, and I would say the motor cruisers were by far the better option there.

Some of the bigger broads have some good sailing, but its getting between them that is more tricky.

Retro RWD is the way forward...........automotive fabrication, car restoration, sheetmetal work, engine conversion retro car restoration and tuning

Syd Bridge

posted on 12/1/07 at 08:58 AM Reply With Quote
Have you ever tried the ICW? Norfolk to Moorhead City is one of the prettiest cruises you can get. The rest all the way to Miami isn't too bad, either. Well, at least as far as West Palm.

Cheers,
Syd.

marcjagman

posted on 12/1/07 at 11:16 AM Reply With Quote
Canal cruisers are the way to go, all mainland rivers are a great place to go with amazing serenity. Sailing is not advisable. Most boats on the waters these days are GRP hulls.
iank

posted on 12/1/07 at 11:49 AM Reply With Quote
Should probably mention that of the Swallows and Amazons series only Coot Club and The Big Six were set in the broads.

I'll get my coat

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.