Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: a darrenw type question, this time about crossflow
02GF74

posted on 12/1/07 at 01:25 PM Reply With Quote
a darrenw type question, this time about crossflow

Intend to up from 1300 crossflow to somethingtht will give me 150 bhp.

Despite having 2 zetec (oh dear ), I have ruled those out and will be sticking to crossflow, 1700 ish. Will be keeping 4-2-1 exhaust and twin delorto 40s but may go to bike TBs.

1. To get 150 bhp, what sort of mods (& costs) are involved?
2. Does the crank need special treatment other than balancing?
3. Will 1300 cc flywheel be lighter than 1600?
4. Cam choice?
5. Head mods?
6. Can a 1300 be fitted with 1600 crank? I know that shorter con-rods are needed but will they be ££££, and is there enough cylinder wall for it? (assume not otherwise Ford would not make a taller block?)
7. What is approx. cost of rebore (to max. bore diameter)?: + pistons.
8. A tuning book, not the vizzard, mentions that going beyond 1720 cc requires liners or someting like that (damn, should I have remembered the correct terms) - anyone know about that?
9. Been told chambered head is better for getting more horses, anyone confirm this?

Buget is £ 500 so probably optimistic (but maybe something on ebay can be used as a starting point).

ned

posted on 12/1/07 at 01:30 PM Reply With Quote
I don't know much about xflow's, but I gather you're better off with a 1600 block as it's taller and the rod angles are much better than the 1300 would be.

Ned.

for cost my vx 2ltr was about £80iirc for +2mm rebore (to 2.1) and acid clean/dip.

[Edited on 12/1/07 by ned]

beware, I've got yellow skin

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
iank

posted on 12/1/07 at 01:54 PM Reply With Quote
http://www.pumaracing.co.uk/cflow.htm

150 will be very hard and expensive.

nitram38

posted on 12/1/07 at 01:57 PM Reply With Quote
A 1600 engine with 1300GT pistons, fast road cam and 40's will only give you around 110- 125BHP.
quick n stuff

posted on 12/1/07 at 01:59 PM Reply With Quote
hi you will not get 150 bhp out of a 1600 xflow and pass the sva emissions test (not on a £500 pound budget eneyway). infact for £150 pound you will get nothing like 150 bhp you will need £1500.

i would not use the xflow engine and go for a toyota 4age engine if you get one out of a corolla gts (1989 to 1992) thay had 130 bhp to start with. they are about the same size weight.

ok priceing

1) a good 4age engine costs about £200 pound with wires and brain

2) a set of cams £360 (264 degrees hks)

3)remap ecu on roling road £150 to £200

this will give you a solid 150 -160 bhp (more like 150 with old rings and worn valve guides and such)

this engine will give you a better power dilivery than any xflow.

[Edited on 12/1/07 by quick n stuff]

[Edited on 12/1/07 by quick n stuff]

nitram38

posted on 12/1/07 at 02:02 PM Reply With Quote
If you are going to spend £1500, buy an R1 injection 05. 182BHP as standard
DarrenW

posted on 12/1/07 at 02:13 PM Reply With Quote
Thats not really a darrenw type question - you have a budget!!!!!!

infamous at last!

02GF74

posted on 12/1/07 at 02:19 PM Reply With Quote
ah, I forgot, should have said no BECs; 4age remotely but still thnk crossflow is the way.

emissions are not relevant - hopefully will be passed before my 6 mths retest time is up ... and that is just over 2 months where does the time go....?

added: it is not a question of getting max amount off power but something that slots in without any fuss; reasoning may be flawed but don't want bonnet bumps and the such.

ok, 150 may be optimistic but ......

[Edited on 12/1/07 by 02GF74]

iank

posted on 12/1/07 at 02:22 PM Reply With Quote
Would be cheaper to go CVH (1.6 not 1.8) or even Zetec if you really want/need 150bhp and any drivability.
quick n stuff

posted on 12/1/07 at 02:26 PM Reply With Quote
you will still need a minimum of £1500 pound to get 150 bhp
procomp

posted on 12/1/07 at 02:29 PM Reply With Quote
Hi no belhousing mentioned for the 4ag conversion above. Just drop a 2L zetec straight in and get the 165 bhp and a good spread of tourque. For ignition go with the mega watsit if on a budget no special parts required all been done by many people get an early silver top so you meet the less stringent emmisions.

To get a crossflow up to 150/160 bhp and reliable realisticaly budget for 2k +. This would be of simalar spec to the crossflows that run in the 750 kits not the locost as they are 1300cc.

cheers matt

PS. Should also mention the vx 2l 16v although NS DEV will be here soon to point you in the right direction with one of them. And no doubt that one of the HELLFIRE'S will also be here to suggest that any thing other than a bec is just not allowed. Altho i think some one above beat them to it this time.

[Edited on 12/1/07 by procomp]

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
02GF74

posted on 12/1/07 at 02:30 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by DarrenW
Thats not really a darrenw type question - you have a budget!!!!!!

budget - LOL!! we all know that the figure we plan to spend doesn't really match up with was spent. havent' decided ifthe budget include the sale of the other engines, 3 of or not....

quick n stuff

posted on 12/1/07 at 02:33 PM Reply With Quote
you can get 150 bhp out of a cvh and pass the emitions but it will still cost mega bucks.

some 1.8 zetec have got 130 bhp as standard and will cost about the same as a 4age to get 150bhp and the power curve will be less revy but it is a heavier and bigger unit.

iank

posted on 12/1/07 at 02:34 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by procomp
Hi no belhousing mentioned for the 4ag conversion above. Just drop a 2L zetec straight in and get the 165 bhp and a good spread of tourque. For ignition go with the mega watsit if on a budget no special parts required all been done by many people get an early silver top so you meet the less stringent emmisions.

To get a crossflow up to 150/160 bhp and reliable realisticaly budget for 2k +. This would be of simalar spec to the crossflows that run in the 750 kits not the locost as they are 1300cc.

cheers matt

I'd guess these are also full race engines, so a PITA on the road and engine rebuilds every few 1000 miles?

[Edited on 12/1/07 by iank]

iank

posted on 12/1/07 at 02:37 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by quick n stuff
you can get 150 bhp out of a cvh and pass the emitions but it will still cost mega bucks.

some 1.8 zetec have got 130 bhp as standard and will cost about the same as a 4age to get 150bhp and the power curve will be less revy but it is a heavier and bigger unit.

But doesn't require a gearbox adaptor costing a few hundred £. I'd say the 2L Zetec would be favourite from a cost + complexity point of view.

Any reason for the 150bhp value BTW?

quick n stuff

posted on 12/1/07 at 02:39 PM Reply With Quote
the post was 150 bhp from a crossflow
02GF74

posted on 12/1/07 at 02:40 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by iank

no valid reason other than that power should be more than enough for my driving ability, and is achievable on the crossflow (they can reach 200 but that would add a 0 to the budget and not for road use). seems a reasonable number that is about double of 1300 in standard form.

procomp

posted on 12/1/07 at 02:41 PM Reply With Quote
Ah the good old CVH yep they can be taken upto 160bhp in 1600 form but only two companys capable of doing it properly. And they were costing £2700 min when we were doing them some years ago so probably more like £3000 min now.

So just no point now we have the zetec .

cheers matt

David Jenkins

posted on 12/1/07 at 02:45 PM Reply With Quote
I have a 1660cc crossflow, which suits me down to the ground. It puts out around 100BHP with just minor upgrades and makes my car go plenty fast. I also love the old-fashioned noise it makes.

However, if I wanted a lot more power I wouldn't waste my money on this engine, much as I love it. My personal preference would be for a Toyota 4-AGE or, if I was feeling flush, a Duratec. Both will be far more modern, give loads of power in standard form, and have plenty of scope for improvement without massive investment.

cheers,
David

quick n stuff

posted on 12/1/07 at 02:49 PM Reply With Quote
just thort rs tubo engine easy and cheep to get 160 bhp (may be a bit tricky geting a good one thow) lighter than a zetec lol

but from a cost poit of veiw the zetec is a good engine its not a bad tuning as well.

iank

posted on 12/1/07 at 03:01 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by 02GF74
quote:
Originally posted by iank

no valid reason other than that power should be more than enough for my driving ability, and is achievable on the crossflow (they can reach 200 but that would add a 0 to the budget and not for road use). seems a reasonable number that is about double of 1300 in standard form.

I don't believe there are any normally aspirated 200bhp crossflows even race engines, though there are a lot of pub numbers chucked about.

200bhp would be 120bhp per litre for a 1700. Ballpark for a good modern 16v is 100, 120 is BEC territory.

quick n stuff

posted on 12/1/07 at 03:05 PM Reply With Quote
yep 180bhp MAX with super trooper mega stupa bucks.
MikeR

posted on 12/1/07 at 04:05 PM Reply With Quote
I've got an x/f AX block sat in my garage. Make me a silly offer (and collect) and its yours....

Procomp should give an idea of what one is worth.

coozer

posted on 12/1/07 at 05:16 PM Reply With Quote
Hmm, nice to see Darrenw doesn't have a budget.

HELLO THERE MARRA

1972 V8 Jago

1980 Z750

Craig81

posted on 12/1/07 at 05:22 PM Reply With Quote
not really sure of the spec of my 1600 crossflow but it has been on a rolling road twice and both times produced a usable 156bhp on 45 webbers. It also passed the sva emissions no trouble. Good old crossflows!!
<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.