Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Gearchange (1st to 2nd) problem
JoaoCaldeira

posted on 15/1/07 at 01:57 PM Reply With Quote
Gearchange (1st to 2nd) problem

Hi all.

<MNR VortX / 2003 R1>

This weekend I started to experience a problem shifting from 1st to 2nd at very high rpm (full throtle, rpm limit, clutch, gearchange, naty metal noise).

Downshift, even from high rpm is sweet; from 1st to 2nd at low to middle rpm is fine.

I'm a motorcycle rider, so I know that I have the neutral in between, but this is getting worse to the point that at high rpm I no longer can shift from 1st to 2nd, even pulling the gearlever all the way... just nasty noise...

Opinions anyone?

Thanks,
Joao

zxrlocost

posted on 15/1/07 at 02:14 PM Reply With Quote
apart from trying a different angle on your selector shaft and absolutley no slack!!

your gear forks are knackered!

sorry

PLEASE NOTE: This user is a trader who has not signed up for the LocostBuilders registration scheme. If this post is advertising a commercial product or service, please report it by clicking here.

tks

posted on 15/1/07 at 02:16 PM Reply With Quote
mhhh

i guess bended forks..clutch??

guys??

Tks

[Edited on 15/1/07 by tks]

The above comments are always meant to be from the above persons perspective.

G.Man

posted on 15/1/07 at 02:42 PM Reply With Quote
Sounds like knackered selector forks to me as well...

Common R1 problem, worse if you are a bit ham fisted.. (footed on the bike )

Opinions are like backsides..
Everyone has one, nobody wants to hear it and only other peoples stink!

smart51

posted on 15/1/07 at 02:42 PM Reply With Quote
I had this at first. I found that my gear lever didn't have enough travel in the hole cut in the tunnel. The cable needs to travel further to get from 1st to 2nd. Once I've opened up the hole it was better.

A bent selector fork on 2nd is a common problem. It means that the gear isn't pushed as far in and it either doesn't engage or it jumps out of gear.

bent forks are caused by bikers resting their foot on the pedal or doing wheelies and standing on the pedal or by bikers / kit car drivers shifting to agressivley and putting to much shock force into the shift forks.

Hellfire

posted on 15/1/07 at 03:59 PM Reply With Quote
Initially it sounds like you have a 1st to 2nd selector fork problem as already stated, though it could indeed be a gear linkage fouling somewhere. If the problem does not occur further up the gears I doubt it is this. It isn't just a problem with R1's, it's a comon problem on all BEC's. If the donor bike engine has been abused then it obviously affects how reliable your BEC is...

Make very sure when you engage second gear it is home, being gentle gets no respect - treat is like a dirty woman! Make sure it goes in hard and direct... you will be punished for being a lilly livered wuss!!!

As any dirty woman will tell you, a TRT helps to soften the blow!

Steve

G.Man

posted on 15/1/07 at 04:32 PM Reply With Quote
You are so right...

The trt does help the gearbox dogs live longer, doesnt help the lutch tho

Opinions are like backsides..
Everyone has one, nobody wants to hear it and only other peoples stink!

JoaoCaldeira

posted on 15/1/07 at 06:09 PM Reply With Quote
Hi.

Thanks for the info.

I'm driving without tunel cover, so gear lever travel is not the limit

What is a selector fork? (pic?)
How do I know if it is bent?
How much does it cost to replace it?
Can it accessed from the sump?
Is it easy to repalce?

Thanks for all your help,
Joao

RichieC

posted on 15/1/07 at 07:48 PM Reply With Quote
Hi Joao,

Does sound like a bent fork had a couple on bikes in the past. Posibbly a damaged drum but the fork is more likely.
A gear fork looks like this

and is used in the gearbox to pick up the gear and engage it. If the fork becomes bent or worn it cannot push the gear far enough for it to engage cleanly, hence the noises.

Unfortunately its an engine strip to get to most of the gearbox and youll have to strip the lot :/

Its a relatively easy job for a motorcycle mechanic and a lot easier than doing it yourself if youve never done one.
Forks are available seperately or you might be able to get a gearbox complete from a wrecked engine. Whether thats going to introduce more problems is your choice.

Hope you get it sorted

Rgds

Rich

[Edited on 15/1/07 by RichieC]

JoaoCaldeira

posted on 15/1/07 at 07:53 PM Reply With Quote
Would a bent fork allow shifting from 1st to 2nd at low to mid rpm without a problem?
Because I only have problems in high rpm...

Thanks again,
Joao

RichieC

posted on 15/1/07 at 08:03 PM Reply With Quote
Yeh its a difficult one which is why I think a drum or a dog is a possibility.

My GSX-R 750 used to jump out of gear at high RPM but not at low and that was a drum. That said, it would change into and out of gear fine so tricky to say for sure until you get in and have a look.

Sorry cant be any more specific, if I had to guess, Id say fork but difficult to know for sure.

Rich

[Edited on 15/1/07 by RichieC]

Grahame L

posted on 16/1/07 at 06:25 PM Reply With Quote
Got this prob on my blade bec. On the blade you can view the forks and drum through the sump, and remove without splitting the engine, plus whilst the engine is still in the car, but i dont know for the R1.

However, if its your dogs worn, as mine are, as well as the forks, its probably best to split the crankcases as you wont be able to determine if the dogs are worn without taking them apart. Not a hard job if your methodical and not in a rush, and have lots of patience

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.