Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: One of those really annoying problems that makes you want to smash something
MK_Bob

posted on 17/1/07 at 09:12 PM Reply With Quote
One of those really annoying problems that makes you want to smash something

And of course i brought it on myself.

This is for a part of my rear wishbones. I drilled six holes in the end of the tube, and inserted an internally threaded tube, about 50mm long, into the end. I then plug welded three of the holes, checked for distortion by screwing the balljoint in about ten turns, removed, and plug welded the remaining nine holes. Checked again that the balljoint screwed in, a little tighter but no problems. Then i start to unscrew the balljoint, and you guessed it, the tube cooled and the balljoint is now jammed good 'n' proper.

I'm thinking that the tube may have bent very very slightly as some of the welds cooled and contracted, jamming the balljoint. I've tried applying heat which gave me about 1° of rotation when turning the balljoint with a large adjustable spanner.

Has anyone got any tips besides more heat, clamp it tighter and turn harder?!

All suggestions more than welcome.

DIY Si

posted on 17/1/07 at 09:13 PM Reply With Quote
Blow torch on the tube and a bit of effort should sort it. Or make a new one now you know what not to do!

“Let your plans be dark and as impenetratable as night, and when you move, fall like a thunderbolt.”
Sun Tzu, The Art of War

My new blog: http://spritecave.blogspot.co.uk/

MK_Bob

posted on 17/1/07 at 09:20 PM Reply With Quote
I was thinking of doing the same for the other wishbone, but running a tap through the thread after the tube has cooled. Which is what i should've done in the first place!
JoelP

posted on 17/1/07 at 09:25 PM Reply With Quote
clamp the wishbone tight, heat it hot and force the ball joint out. You may damage it, but at least it will be out!

And yes, you often have to re tap after welding, i did and my inserts were hefty compared to the amount of welding i did.

[Edited on 17/1/07 by JoelP]

MK_Bob

posted on 17/1/07 at 09:31 PM Reply With Quote
Righto, i think i'll weld the wisbone together so i've got more to clamp to, then heat and twist. Thanks guys.
davrus

posted on 17/1/07 at 10:42 PM Reply With Quote
second that Joelp

Check out my website http://www.thedave.co.uk/
Feel free to sign my guest book in the links page.

zetec7

posted on 18/1/07 at 07:31 AM Reply With Quote
Got access to CO2? If so, blast it onto the ball joint thread after heating the tube nice & hot. It should screw out easily then (but I hesitate to say that it will be "finger tight", for obvious reasons!!)

http://www.freewebs.com/zetec7/

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
NS Dev

posted on 18/1/07 at 08:45 AM Reply With Quote
I always retap after welding wishbones.

I say retap, because I like to tap them to start with in the lathe to get them dead square, and that's not usually possible with a full wishbone, so I tap the end in the lathe, weld it in, then retap after.

Retro RWD is the way forward...........automotive fabrication, car restoration, sheetmetal work, engine conversion retro car restoration and tuning

rusty nuts

posted on 18/1/07 at 06:38 PM Reply With Quote
You may find that laying the welded section on an anvil and giving it a few firm hits with a large hammer may help .

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.