Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: harness
macnab

posted on 18/1/07 at 11:47 AM Reply With Quote
harness

Just about to get some harness of the net.

prob is they all say FIA approved but that's not what they need for the SVA isn't it CE approval they need?

I have an old set of Neil harnesses (used on anther car) and I looked over them last night but could see no CE label.

Will this be a prob for the SVA test???

Is this a stupid question?? I have no idea...

[Edited on 18/1/07 by macnab]

BenB

posted on 18/1/07 at 12:24 PM Reply With Quote
Are they quick release harnesses? Apparently they can be an issue for some testers... I fitted some normal ones for the test then fitted QRs immediately after!!
macnab

posted on 18/1/07 at 12:26 PM Reply With Quote
I was going to get these, what is the problem they see with the quick release? Rescued attachment 2282a.jpg
Rescued attachment 2282a.jpg

macnab

posted on 18/1/07 at 12:33 PM Reply With Quote
Oh yeah, I can’t find the seatbelt anchorages as seen in the book. Heavy threaded tube that you weld to the frame. Can only find hex nuts.

Does anyone know?

iank

posted on 18/1/07 at 01:02 PM Reply With Quote
See Section 5 of the SVA manual for all you need

Either need an e mark or something that references a british/EU standard BS3254 (1960 or part 1 1988) for a harness
or they check:
webbing proper material/wide enough
plated or coated against corrosion
buckle can be opened both with/without load by a "single movement in one direction by either hand" = this is where push a button and twist fail, some testers seem to read one direction as linear movement no rotational as well.
has adjustment device operable when seated and "convenient" and usable with one hand.

--
Never argue with an idiot. They drag you down to their level, then beat you with experience.
Anonymous

BenB

posted on 18/1/07 at 01:23 PM Reply With Quote
Yup. They're QR. Nice but as iank said- some testers don't like the rotational aspect of the QR....
Only other trouble is that if you get out quickly the belts flail around and can whip onto the rear wheel arch and scratch the gelcoat... Getting out slowly sorts that though!!

Sometimes the adjusters are quick far back from the buckle. On my Sabelt harness you have to get out to adjust the belt lengths.... (obviously this bit would fail SVA)....

macnab

posted on 18/1/07 at 01:27 PM Reply With Quote
thanks guys,

got these instead as their E marked and just have the push button. also got some wide harness pads aswell.

Thanks. Rescued attachment 1909a.jpg
Rescued attachment 1909a.jpg

MK_Bob

posted on 18/1/07 at 01:33 PM Reply With Quote
I had a great demonstration of the Sabelt buckle at the Autosport show. The lever is easily operable with one hand in a linearish motion as described by iank, it's even possible to operate if you've broken fingers as you can sweep your palm past it to release. I wouldn't like to try twisting or pushing a buckle release whilst upside down, on fire, with broken fingers!

I'm not quite sure whether it would pass SVA though, as after all the lever does rotate.

I remember reading somewhere (possibly here) that harnesses with conventional push button buckles don't release easily when there is load on them. Is this true?

macnab

posted on 18/1/07 at 01:38 PM Reply With Quote
they do release when your hanging upside down in your landy...

Went for the simpler set for now just to guarantee a pass

[Edited on 18/1/07 by macnab]

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.