Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: RTV Sealant
Ferrino

posted on 26/1/07 at 02:13 PM Reply With Quote
RTV Sealant

I need to apply some high-temp RTV sealant to the 4-2 join on my stainless exhaust manifold, as I get a slight leak which I'd like to sort out. I've tried it before and it has blown out within miles as I wasn't very thorough when cleaning off the carbon deposits on the pipes and may have not let it cure for long enough. I now want to do it properly!

I was told to bring the surfaces back to a shiny finish with something like Scotchbrite, so will do this. But how about the curing process - is it too cold for it to cure properly with the current weather (ie. nothing close to room-temp in the garage)? Or could I just stick a heater in there for a while.

Thanks, I know this sounds a bit petty but it's something I want to get right as it's a bit of a pain to disassemble the manifold every time I try to seal it up.

macnab

posted on 26/1/07 at 02:30 PM Reply With Quote
I use gun gum, fab stuff just don't use alot as it expands

bbwales

posted on 26/1/07 at 02:35 PM Reply With Quote
Hi,
I have found fire gum to work very well. We used to use it on the Jag engines in the CVR(T) range of tanks on their exhausts

Bob

jimgiblett

posted on 26/1/07 at 03:26 PM Reply With Quote
I wouldnt bother with RTV as the pigments tend to be chalk based and dont like heat much. Use a good quality "Clear" silicone sealant eg. Unibond.

- Jim

Ferrino

posted on 26/1/07 at 04:02 PM Reply With Quote
Thanks guys - definitely won't be using that fire/gun-gum stuff as it was nearly impossible to disassemble my old manifold with that! I have already bought some high-temp RTV (rated to 350 degrees C) so will give that a go for now.

BTW, where can I buy Scotchbrite?!?

RazMan

posted on 26/1/07 at 04:46 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Ferrino

The kitchen section in the supermarket - it is the green scratchy stuff used for scouring pots

Cheers,
Raz

When thinking outside the box doesn't work any more, it's time to build a new box

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
Confused but excited.

posted on 26/1/07 at 05:33 PM Reply With Quote
You could always warm you pipes up with a hair dryer.

Tell them about the bent treacle edges!

rusty nuts

posted on 26/1/07 at 07:32 PM Reply With Quote
Might be better to make sure the manifold gasket surface is flat . Had the same problem with mine and after the third attempt to seal it I took the manifold off and cut the mounting plate so that each pipe was seperated .Have had no problems with leaks since
britishtrident

posted on 27/1/07 at 04:40 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Ferrino
Thanks guys - definitely won't be using that fire/gun-gum stuff as it was nearly impossible to disassemble my old manifold with that! I have already bought some high-temp RTV (rated to 350 degrees C) so will give that a go for now.

RTV sealers just aren't suitable for the area

Firegum standard motor trade practice for sealing exhaust joints it dosen't cause any problems dismantling.

Gum-gum is even less of problem but is intended for big holes..

Ferrino

posted on 27/1/07 at 05:31 PM Reply With Quote
That's odd because one of the intended applications of the RTV product I have is for the sealing of exhaust manifolds and has been highly recommended - will let you know how I get on! I definitely used GunGum on my last manifold and it was just a pig to get off!
RazMan

posted on 27/1/07 at 06:06 PM Reply With Quote
I was told that RTV is used a lot by the racer boys - it allows easy disassembly but still seals well enough to be effective.

[Edited on 27-1-07 by RazMan]

Cheers,
Raz

When thinking outside the box doesn't work any more, it's time to build a new box

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.