Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Applying for National-B licence
alister667

posted on 28/1/07 at 03:41 PM Reply With Quote
Applying for National-B licence

HI, I'm tryign to get my application form for a National-B licence filled in this afternoon and I need some help.

1) Is this the one I need for Hillclimbs?

2) Does this require a GP medical check up?

Thanks

Ali

[Edited on 28/1/07 by alister667]

http://members.lycos.co.uk/alister667/

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
stevetzoid

posted on 28/1/07 at 04:06 PM Reply With Quote
I applied for a national B and had to have a medical, look under the MSA website all the guidelines are there.
John Bonnett

posted on 28/1/07 at 04:16 PM Reply With Quote
Hi Ali

For Speed events which include Sprints and Hill Climbs events as opposed to circuit racing you can get going by just filling in the MSA application form for a Speed National B Licence (and paying your fee of course). You will not need a medical report although on the form you give the name of your GP to whom they may apply with your authority for your medical details. You will then need to join an affiliated club who organise the events in which you wish to compete. BARC is a good one as they receive invites from most other organising clubs. Shenstone is another good one. They own Curborough and run a very good championship.

If you haven't had any tuition I can thoroughly recommend the Prescott hillclimb drivers school which is a really well structured an organised day. Gurston do a similar thing and both venues are simply awesome. There is also a school at Curborough which is also excellent. I believe you can optionally take a little exam at the end of the day and this will equate to signatures on your licence that will go towards qualification for National B licence which is necessary for some championships.

I hope this is of help

alb

John

alister667

posted on 28/1/07 at 04:25 PM Reply With Quote
Thanks for the replies.

This is in Northern Ireland so this may confuse matters slightly.

I'm planning on doing sprints and hillclimbs in the TSCC NI club this year. I'd like to get the Blue Book and start working through the car requirements, see if there are any major stumbling blocks to doing this. I was told I didn't need a GP medical unless I was doing wheel to wheel racing (I don't intend to do that this year). Looking at the notes accompanying the form it says if you are over 18 and applying for your first car license you need a medical.
The msauk.org website seems to be stuffed with broken links, and all I can spot is a link to a PDF of the document I already have.

I suspect I'll pop into my GP's tomorrow and see if I can arrange a check up.

[Edited on 28/1/07 by alister667]

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
rayward

posted on 28/1/07 at 04:32 PM Reply With Quote
you need a medical for a National B race licence,

you don;t for a National B NON-Race licence(used for drag racing etc)

hth

Ray

[Edited on 28/1/07 by rayward]

John Bonnett

posted on 28/1/07 at 04:46 PM Reply With Quote

you need a medical for a National B race licence,

you don;t for a National B NON-Race licence(used for drag racing etc)

That is absolutely right.

stevetzoid

posted on 28/1/07 at 04:49 PM Reply With Quote
If you go for a medical make sure the doctor just checks the relevent things on the form, I got mine at a reduced rate because he only did half the full medical, I think it cost me £40.
Regards Steve Evans.

alister667

posted on 28/1/07 at 04:53 PM Reply With Quote
Sorry to confuse matters, but am I right in saying that a "National B NON-Race licence(used for drag racing etc) " will not allow me to do hillclimbs and sprints?

Thanks again,

Ali

Memphis Twin

posted on 28/1/07 at 05:00 PM Reply With Quote
You need a Non-Race National B. You DONT need a medical.

Chris.

John Bonnett

posted on 28/1/07 at 05:51 PM Reply With Quote
Sorry to confuse matters, but am I right in saying that a "National B NON-Race licence(used for drag racing etc) " will not allow me to do hillclimbs and sprints?

No, you are not right. The national B non race is just what you want to start hill climbing and sprints and just to repeat, you do not need a medical. You just complete the form and send it off to the MSA with you licence fee. You will then get your licence with the Blue Book and another book giving information on affiliated clubs(if my memory serves me correctly).

John

alister667

posted on 28/1/07 at 07:44 PM Reply With Quote
Thanks for sticking with me on this one guys

I think I have it now.

All the best

Ali

John Bonnett

posted on 28/1/07 at 08:36 PM Reply With Quote
Ali

Best of luck, sprints are an excellent way to start motor racing and believe me you will be hooked.

John

pjavon

posted on 28/1/07 at 09:17 PM Reply With Quote
Does anyone know of any clubs in the north wales/ north west area. You lot have got me thinking now, sounds a good step up from trackdays

Always keep a big hammer and a condom in your toolbox, if you can't fix it with the hammer

John Bonnett

posted on 29/1/07 at 09:03 AM Reply With Quote
Does anyone know of any clubs in the north wales/ north west area. You lot have got me thinking now, sounds a good step up from trackdays

Anglesey is a lovely circuit. Might be an idea to contact the circuit and see who run sprints there. pembrey and llandow are also good but may be too far from you.

Hope you find something

John

John Bonnett

posted on 29/1/07 at 09:12 AM Reply With Quote
ps

BARC have a Wales Centre

http://www.barc.net/regional_centres/wales/index.php

John

John Bonnett

posted on 30/1/07 at 01:29 PM Reply With Quote
Ali, I found this video of Anglesey circuit
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uhcWUvf1dak

John

Jon Ison

posted on 30/1/07 at 01:38 PM Reply With Quote
spanner in works............

For the cost of a medical why not go the whole hog then you have it ?

You wont need another medical every year until your an old git like me so its pretty much a one off for a while ?

John Bonnett

posted on 30/1/07 at 01:54 PM Reply With Quote
For the cost of a medical why not go the whole hog then you have it ?

Surely, the whole hog is MSA Starter Pack, ARDS, medical, and race licence. The cost of all that would fund the best part of a season of Sprints.

Jon Ison

posted on 30/1/07 at 02:18 PM Reply With Quote
ok, point taken
pjavon

posted on 31/1/07 at 08:45 PM Reply With Quote
Thanks John i've been on quite a few trackdays in anglesey, and i agree it's a great little circuit but i hope they don't ruin it after the reconstruction. Will try phoning them and have also been told about liverpool motor club so will try them aswell
Paul

Always keep a big hammer and a condom in your toolbox, if you can't fix it with the hammer

dmac

posted on 31/1/07 at 09:59 PM Reply With Quote
I'm not trying to put you off but sprints/hillclimbs do not actually give you a lot of track time, you are only guaranteed four runs in a day (usually about £60) although if it is a small entry you may get a few more practice runs. It's cheap in motorsport terms but you may get better value for money on a trackday, it just depends what you want.

Duncan

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.